• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Kalos Legendary Trio Title Discussion Thread (New Poll)

Which name do you like?

• Total voters
Re: Kalos Legendary Trio Title Discussion Thread

Circle of Life trio I swear it's not because of Lion King because that's what the trio's about.

The other names are good, but I don't really support the Ragnarok theory anymore since I feel it's a bit too loose a connection as they only really have the animals down and that's it.

Circle of Life trio sounds good but I prefer the Natural/Eco Trio because Zygarde Pokedex entry doesn't state anything about life or death. It says stuff about the ecosystem being unbalanced.

Circle of Life Trio, totally. Them being based off Norse mythology is just speculation.

'Morality' does not stick.

The suggestion was actually "Mortality" trio which does make sense. My vote is for Mortality it seems to make the most sense without seeming too loosy-floosey like "Circle of Life" trio.

As stated in an earlier post, the trio's motifs are centered on 'life' so a name relating to is better suited. 'Morality' does not stick. 'Essence' or 'vital' maybe, however, I am leaning towards the latter.

reason: watches an unhealthy amount of medical drama, pun intended.

Mortality, as in Mortality Rate, to be susceptible to the laws of life and death, not Morality.

Circle of Life trio sounds good but I prefer the Natural/Eco Trio because Zygarde Pokedex entry doesn't state anything about life or death. It says stuff about the ecosystem being unbalanced.

The Kami Trio is known as the forces of nature trio...so Nature is out, and it can be argued only Zygarde has anything to do with the environment.

How about Euro Trio?

Mortality, as in Mortality Rate, to be susceptible to the laws of life and death, not Morality.

Whoops! Sorry, now it makes sense.

Its perfectly fine, I misread words all the time. I have Dyslexia, so sometimes I have to read something several times due to me skipping between lines, words getting jumbled up and me getting confused.

Although, Morality Trio could work once we get a better understanding of these guys. Zygarde being the Order Pokémon probably loves giving lessons on Morality to Xeneras and Yveltal for carelessly making people either dead or immortal.

By the way, what do you think of Euro trio?

Yamitora, are you still ignoring this: Morrigan

I know you're set on it being an eagle, but I must insist again, what evidence is there of Yveltal = eagle? It has about as much in common with an eagle as it does with a Parakeet. All we know for sure about Yveltal is that it's a bird. The head isn't eagle-like, the beak isn't eagle-like, the legs aren't especially eagle-like (neither the thick upper leg muscle nor the three-claw-forward eagle talons), etc.

To me, the only evidence there is about what Yveltal is is "A bird", so limiting ourselves to mythological eagles and eagle figures seems...foolish.

Last edited:

I guess pluralizing 'axis' into 'axes' or using the related word 'axial' would still give the undesired connotation if the trio were named as such, so I'll go for Aura Trio. I don't see why it won't work given that Kyogre, Groudon and Rayquaza are called the Weather Trio. But then again, I bet they did not earn that title just because of their abilities alone. As far as I can remember, at least Groudon and Kyogre's abilities were somewhat significant to the story of the games they appear in. Depending on the version, Hoenn experiences heavy rains and/or intense sunshine when either or both Pokemon gets awakened by the villainous team(s). I haven't played X or Y yet so I can't tell how significant Xerneas and Yveltal's abilities are to the plot, if they are at all.

Also, this might be really irrelevant given the geographic origin of the possible design and role insprirations for Xerneas, Zygarde and Yveltal; but when I learned they were Life, Order and Destruction Pokemon respectively, I was reminded of the Hindu trinity representing creation, preservation and destruction.

I know you're set on it being an eagle, but I must insist again, what evidence is there of Yveltal = eagle? It has about as much in common with an eagle as it does with a Parakeet. All we know for sure about Yveltal is that it's a bird. The head isn't eagle-like, the beak isn't eagle-like, the legs aren't especially eagle-like (neither the thick upper leg muscle nor the three-claw-forward eagle talons), etc.

To me, the only evidence there is about what Yveltal is is "A bird", so limiting ourselves to mythological eagles and eagle figures seems...foolish.

Oh thanks for the link (at first I thought I missed someone's post when you said morgan)

It might also be a giant in the form of an eagle, or a hawk that sits between a eagle's eyes.

It might also be a crow or raven like what that morgan thing you linked me to says. I know Odin had crows, and crows are often seen as meaning death if I remember right. Plus like many birds, they love eating dead things.

Norse mythology is easier to look up and find an abundance of info (maybe because Marvel Comics or because vikings are awesome) I'm slowly gathering evidence tho, and what evidence I already have is always evolving. Besides, no one source 100% absolute. In fact, I am about to do some research on Egyptian lore to see what sources it could have there. I wouldn't be surprised if Yveltal has nothing to do with Norse Mythology and everything to do with Egyptian mythos. We can only know once I find out. Besides, deciding a name is not a right away thing. Even though I love Mortality Duo for Xerneas and Yveltal until its 100% clear Zygarde is their trio master, its just a place holder that I put when I added them to the Duo page on the wiki. I mean even after they get a official fan name, I will likely call them the mortality duo, which is what lots of people do, call duo and trios what they like best. I still sometimes call the Legendary Beasts dogs from time to time, and I love Beasts more then dogs personally. One of the many gaming sites could put up an article tomorrow with a name for them, and I still would call them whatever fits best with what evidence there is. I am fully ready to call them the celtic trio if called for, since Ragnarok is a bit of a complex name compared to the simple bird, beasts, weather, golem, lake, creation and kami trio (did I miss one?) I am also ready to call them the Euro trio, the Tri-Axle trio or whatever name(s) the fandom comes up with.

We also have to remember that just because the games are based off France which has a more celtic background, doesn't mean GF wouldn't put Norse, Celtic, Egyptian or ancient Chinese mythology based creatures in it. Look at Unova, its based on New York and has Genies running around, and Genies are from Eurasian-middle eastern mythology if I remember right.

I guess pluralizing 'axis' into 'axes' or using the related word 'axial' would still give the undesired connotation if the trio were named as such, so I'll go for Aura Trio. I don't see why it won't work given that Kyogre, Groudon and Rayquaza are called the Weather Trio. But then again, I bet they did not earn that title just because of their abilities alone. As far as I can remember, at least Groudon and Kyogre's abilities were somewhat significant to the story of the games they appear in. Depending on the version, Hoenn experiences heavy rains and/or intense sunshine when either or both Pokemon gets awakened by the villainous team(s). I haven't played X or Y yet so I can't tell how significant Xerneas and Yveltal's abilities are to the plot, if they are at all.

Also, this might be really irrelevant given the geographic origin of the possible design and role insprirations for Xerneas, Zygarde and Yveltal; but when I learned they were Life, Order and Destruction Pokemon respectively, I was reminded of the Hindu trinity representing creation, preservation and destruction.

Hindu, well thanks for the tip. I was also going check into Ancient Egyptian mythology, those people were all about life and death and they did it in style.

I'll be sure to check into any possible Hindu connection, not too sure how

Last edited:

I was just going to go for "balance trio" tbh...

All we know for sure about Yveltal is that it's a bird.

Are you still ignoring my post where I did quote you? My input in this thread is of critical importance I hope you are aware. I asked you to explain Zygarde's role in this trio you are imagining?
You also seem to insist on Yveltal being a specific kind of bird in this post you made:

Yveltal is a bird- a black bird - and that leads toward crows and ravens, animals associated with the Morrigan.

I don't believe anybody in this thread is limiting themselves to mythological eagles, the bird on top of Yggdrasil just happens to be one. I think if the bird had been an obvious pelican people would still draw the same connection. You are making an argument on the species of bird when you said yourself that Yveltal has none assigned to it.

I see a bird, a deer and a serpent and recognize a connection. You see France and start spilling glue across the continent in search for creatures with no correlation other than coming out of Celtic mythology that can fill the shoes you have found.

I personally think that Yggdrasil Trio fits them best considering what their based on, (or at least what i think they're based on) although it does look a bit awkward as their title.

Zygarde is not a serpent, it looks more like a slug.

Also, there were actually four stags in Norse mythology, not one. People need to stop pigeonholing things to fit their pet theories.

Zygarde is not a serpent, it looks more like a slug.

Also, there were actually four stags in Norse mythology, not one. People need to stop pigeonholing things to fit their pet theories.

There are five altogether, One that lives in Valhala that has glowing horns, the other four in or around the world tree Yggdrasil. The four are believed to have been derived from the first one. Read the entry again.

And the four stags represent the four winds, which (again) have zero/nilch/nada to do with Xerneas.

Again, the viking theory amount to saying "It's a deer, a bird and a vaguely serpent-like thing! They're obviously the Yggdrasil creatures!"

Nevermind that there were four significant Yggdrasil creatures (squirrel), not three, so where is that squirrel legendary? Nevermind that there were four deers, not just one. Nevermind that there is absolutely no connection between the four deers and life (they're the four winds, and are known to eat away Yggdrasil's branches), or between the Eagle and Death, or between the Serpent and order/Balance (in fact, in that last case, the serpent, Nidhogg, is clearly a force of evil)

Nevermind that there is zero evidence whatsoever Yveltal is any sort of eagle to begin with (rather than any other type of bird).

People just leaped at the Norse conclusions, other people thought that sounded cool, and now half the fanbase as accepted it as fact due to everyone repeating it like it's a fact in the first place.

----------------

We CANNOT say what Zyggarde is based on because WE CANNOT SAY WHAT ROLE ZYGGARDE PLAYS IN THE SERIES. That will take Z, or X2/Y2, or ABC, or whatever the second Gen VI game is. All we know about it is that it has a vaguely snake-like appearance. Without more information, we cannot say what it's based on in terms of mythological influence.

Last edited:

And the four stags represent the four winds, which (again) have zero/nilch/nada to do with Xerneas.

Again, the viking theory amount to saying "It's a deer, a bird and a vaguely serpent-like thing! They're obviously the Yggdrasil creatures!"

Nevermind that there were four significant Yggdrasil creatures (squirrel), not three, so where is that squirrel legendary? Nevermind that there were four deers, not just one. Nevermind that there is absolutely no connection between the four deers and life (they're the four winds, and are known to eat away Yggdrasil's branches), or between the Eagle and Death, or between the Serpent and order/Balance (in fact, in that last case, the serpent, Nidhogg, is clearly a force of evil)

Nevermind that there is zero evidence whatsoever Yveltal is any sort of eagle to begin with (rather than any other type of bird).

People just leaped at the Norse conclusions, other people thought that sounded cool, and now half the fanbase as accepted it as fact due to everyone repeating it like it's a fact in the first place.

----------------

We CANNOT say what Zyggarde is based on because WE CANNOT SAY WHAT ROLE ZYGGARDE PLAYS IN THE SERIES. That will take Z, or X2/Y2, or ABC, or whatever the second Gen VI game is. All we know about it is that it has a vaguely snake-like appearance. Without more information, we cannot say what it's based on in terms of mythological influence.

Calm down, please. If you keep this up, I will report you no matter if you are the vice-web master or not!

Either Re-Read the Opening Post, or do your own research before mouthing off to me in a disrespectful tone and rant.

This is the article on the four stags
Dáinn, Dvalinn, Duneyrr and Duraþrór - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This is the article on their basis, one stag with glowing horns
Eikþyrnir - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That is five deer right there, and just because there is more then one, doesn't mean gamefreak can't take a artistic license and combine them. Half the Pokemon there are, is some combination of multiple things. For godsakes we have a hamster with a tv antena for a Pikachu Clone!

Artistic License means you take liberties with something. If I get asked to draw a super hero Squirrel, I might give him a cape for a tail. That's part of the fun and process.

Also, I told you I was adding more info as I get it, If you actually read the updated opening post, you would see that.

Now calm down, take a breath and re-read the opening page and keep in mind that I am still adding info, old info is being updated and new evidence supporting multiple things are being added.

And if you cannot bring yourself to being civil, and stop jumping on my case then I will report you, block you and wash my hands of the situation.

LjdLX9K.jpg

Yveltal looks a lot more like a red bearded vulture.

LjdLX9K.jpg

Yveltal looks a lot more like a red bearded vulture.
That is does, wonderful find. Vulture is one of the birds I was compiling data on to put on the first page, since they love Carrion like many of the other bird mentioned. I was also thinking falcon/raptor but again, game freak loves mixing and matching creatures. one day we might have a mole with a nose like an elephant.

Here's my problem with the whole "artistic license" thing, how much can you change before the original material starts to become irrelevant? Yveltal doesn't hold the secrets, doesn't directly associate with Zygarde at all (not even via a squirrel) like Nighoggr/the eagle and deals with destruction, which the eagle is not associated with. Zygarde acts nothing like Nidhoggr, it doesn't call for destruction (in fact that's Yveltal's area), it's not gnawing at any roots and its main role seems to be to maintain balance, the opposite of what Nighoggr is trying to do. Xerneas does have glowing horns, but that doesn't necessarily mean it drew from Norse mythology, particularly since glowing horns isn't an obscure concept in media (i.e. Shishigami). On top of that, there's no large tree or other connecting factor to them that relates them to Yggdrasil.

Really, the only connecting factors that they really have on the surface is that they're a large bird, a stag and a snake/dragon, after that they don't have much in common.

Back
Top Bottom