• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Kanto Classic (Battle Spot Competition!)

My Iron Head/Dragon Dance Dragonite got lucky on two out of three Clefable's, was a nice surprise factor. I went with weaker moves with better accuracy because of moves like minimize (you jerk) and it worked well for me this time. I didn't want moves missing in clutch situations as I had had happen in previous cases.
Surprises, such as a max speed Golem or HP Ground Zapados did wonders in these matches. I also enjoyed the Magic Bounce Alakazam was nice for burns and poison.

Was anyone surprised by any of the team trends that they saw or didn't see? I was shocked by the number of Poison types and lack of Alakazam. Also, I expected to see more Gengar. Lastly, I was surprised by the number of Slowbro and also how few Clefables that I saw. Given the power of Dragonite (600 base points), I expected to see more. How about everyone else?

Did you guys see a ton of Nitokings? I did and it what made me give up on the Kanto Classic.

I did, but I was able to counter them in almost every case. I lost my Alakazam once to Sucker Punch, but started countering with Calm Mind and other mind games in future occurrences.

Last edited:
I saw one, but then again I was on the 1600's. The guy was like in the 1400's, and I beat him right away. who saves nidoking for last? My balstoise one-shot it with scald.

Did you guys see a ton of Nitokings? I did and it what made me give up on the Kanto Classic.
I saw quite a few Nidoking/queen, led with my own Modest Nidoking. With your team I could totally see it giving you such a hard time.

@Arcalargo I was kind of surprised by the lack of Sun/Rain teams. I saw a few that appeared to be, but either it didn't pan out or the set up was bad. Thought for sure I'd see a Rain team with Swift Swim Kabutops.

@Stitsworth I ran a Sunny Day/Solar Power Charizard, but it didn't always pan out the ways I was hoping. Looking back, I don't think I ever successfully ran Sunny Day/Solar Power/Flamethrower combo. I did get out a few Solar Beams though, always good fun there.

Actually I ended up planning wrong. I thought alakazam was the fastest mon. I sucked vs jolteon and aerodactyl cause of that.

@Stitsworth I ran a Sunny Day/Solar Power Charizard, but it didn't always pan out the ways I was hoping. Looking back, I don't think I ever successfully ran Sunny Day/Solar Power/Flamethrower combo. I did get out a few Solar Beams though, always good fun there.
For that I would have expected a Ninetales with Drought, then maybe a Chlorophyll Venusaur as well as your Solar Power Zard

Actually I ended up planning wrong. I thought alakazam was the fastest mon. I sucked vs jolteon and aerodactyl cause of that.
I made the same mistake lol

For that I would have expected a Ninetales with Drought, then maybe a Chlorophyll Venusaur as well as your Solar Power Zard

I'm really strange in that I don't like having two 'mons of the same type on one team when I can avoid it as I feel it makes my teams weaker. I know that sounds strange when I had 3 fliers on my last team, but Rock types were rare enough in Gen I and 2 of my fliers resisted electric attacks. Also, Venusaur has to many weaknesses for me with little to no advantages. Chlorophyll helps, but still doesn't give me the hitting power I'm looking for on my teams. Sunny Day/Synthesis helps, but stalling an opponent only works if you have the punch to put down the other team. I thought about it, but I just don't care for Venusaur. Or Grass in general for that matter.

Just the $0.02 I found rattling around in my head.

I didn't have time to play in this competition because of exams, but a few weeks ago I was messing around with a Sun team on Showdown to a fair amount of success.
Charizard
Ability: Solar Power
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Air Slash
- Solar Beam
- Roost

Ninetales
Ability: Drought
Timid Nature
- Flamethrower
- Will-O-Wisp
- Roar
- Solar Beam

Victreebel
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 96 Atk / 252 SpA / 160 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Weather Ball
- Sludge Bomb
- Growth

Clefable
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Sunny Day
- Thunder Wave
- Moonblast
- Stealth Rock

Dragonite
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Iron Head
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Extreme Speed

Starmie
Ability: Natural Cure
Timid Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Psyshock
- Scald
- Ice Beam

I originally had Venusaur in there in place of Victreebel, and was contemplating Exeggutor at one point, but went with Victree because of Sucker Punch. It helps to be able to instantly one-shot Alakazam and can potentially help it sweep if it gets enough boosts from Growth. I like mixed sets in general I guess. I mean, a fast sleep powder is nice too, so it ultimately comes down to personal preference for the Chlorophyll-user slot. The biggest challenge this team faces is definitely its reliance on the sun being up. That's why I had Clefable there as a backup sun-setter, but without a Heat Rock, it was hard to keep the sun up constantly.

As for overlapping on types, that is okay and not so uncommon. The more important thing is determining what function each Pokemon on your team has, and making sure those don't overlap or that there isn't something else that can perform that function better.

Last edited:
@Slife I did have a match against someone very similar to your team, except the Clefable was more geared towards the way mine was. The Roar Ninetales really ruined my Clefable! Got my ass kicked.

Did anyone else use or run into an Unaware Clefable? I used it since I was pretty sure that I'd run into a lot of Dragon Dance Dragonites.

I ran into one guy who brought out his Dragonite against my Gengar, so I burned it (Will-O-Wisp) as it used Dragon Dance, then switched to Clefable as it used Earthquake; Clefable took maybe 20% damage. I used Calm Mind as it used Dragon Dance again and I was grinning so hard as we got into a Calm Mind -vs- Dragon Dance buffing-contest. Little did this guy know that my Clefable could ignore his Dragonite's buffing. He got to +6 as I got to +5, and he hit my Clefable with Earthquake again (probably sure he'd win). I could just imagine his confidence turning to shock as my Clefable took barely any damage. I healed off (Moonlight) and slaughtered his Dragonite with Moonblast, then swept the rest of his team.

Did anyone else use or run into an Unaware Clefable? I used it since I was pretty sure that I'd run into a lot of Dragon Dance Dragonites.

I ran into one guy who brought out his Dragonite against my Gengar, so I burned it (Will-O-Wisp) as it used Dragon Dance, then switched to Clefable as it used Earthquake; Clefable took maybe 20% damage. I used Calm Mind as it used Dragon Dance again and I was grinning so hard as we got into a Calm Mind -vs- Dragon Dance buffing-contest. Little did this guy know that my Clefable could ignore his Dragonite's buffing. He got to +6 as I got to +5, and he hit my Clefable with Earthquake again (probably sure he'd win). I could just imagine his confidence turning to shock as my Clefable took barely any damage. I healed off (Moonlight) and slaughtered his Dragonite with Moonblast, then swept the rest of his team.
My Clefable also has unawhare, and it's fun to play around with in the stat boosting war. X3

Rankings have been released!

How did everyone do? I got 2,578th place with 1,608 points - I tied with 48 people.

Btw, @Arcalargo I like your Longbow avatar.

*Edit: I just noticed there were 32,220 participants in the Masters Division, so that puts me in the top 8%. I can certainly live with that!

Last edited:
Darn, I got 3,892nd place with two others. I was hoping to do better. Not even in the top 10%. Oh well, I can't and won't complain. I'd say that I'll do better next time, but due to a new child, it's going to be a bit. Oh well.

I had participated in the event and completed four battles, but for some reason I never received a serial code, e-mail or otherwise. Where are we supposed to get them? o-O

I had participated in the event and completed four battles, but for some reason I never received a serial code, e-mail or otherwise. Where are we supposed to get them? o-O
Log in to the Pokémon Global Link. You'll receive a personal notification with instructions on how to get it.

I know I asked this in the main forum, has anyone checked out the stat distribution on the Dragonite? It seems to be locked to 31/X/31/31/31/X. Had anyone else found that?

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom