• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Kanto Gyms, XY Style

ehh123

Reaction score
How do you think the Kanto Gyms and their leaders would have been handled if they were done like the later gyms of BW and XY? You know what I mean. No pity badges, the gym leaders (main characters aside) will appear for more than one episode, etc.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what you mean by Kanto and pity badges. As far as I recall, Ash earned his Kanto badges fair and square, the only exception being Celadon after Ash rescued Erika's Gloom from that fire. But that was only one time. In every other gym, Ash had to battle and win to earn the badge.

Regarding gym leaders appearing more than once, something you have to keep in mind was that the Kanto arc was structured very differently from subsequent arcs. The producers originally intended to end the anime after the Indigo League, but extended it due to its popularity. The only reason gym challenges are extended in the newer episodes is so to stretch out the current arc.

Brock, Misty and Giovanni all obviously appeared in several episodes (although Giovanni never did much outside of The Birth of Mewtwo and later Mewtwo Returns). Sabrina and Blaine got rematches. I think they could have used Lt. Surge for the S.S. Anne arc and Koga for the Safari Zone episode, but giving Erika another episode probably wouldn't have added much.

I personally only care about fixing Brock and Giovanni. Ash didn't really have a fair strategy against the former, and he never battled the latter. Hopefully the upcoming movie will fix the former and the hypothetical sequel will take care of the latter.

Last edited:
I doubt they would have made Sabrina into a psycho with a separate child-like personality that turned people into dolls.

That's what I am looking more of. What the gym leaders' personalities would be like and how their gyms would be laid out. I edited the starting post to reflect that.

Surge would use more than one Pokémon in this case. I'd like to see a Voltorb or Magnemite beat one of Ash's other five Pokémon before Pikachu takes it out. Then Raichu's next and you know the rest.

I'll write down Ash's roster and the leader's story.

Lt surge: Butterfree, Charmander, Pikachu. Bassicaly EP014 is splitted in 2 parts.
Sabrina: Squirtle, Pikachu, Haunter. Her story stays the same.
Erika: Primeape, Pidgeotto, Pikachu. Again her episode is splitted in 2 parts and a subplot involving Bulbasaur falling in love is included.
Koga: Bulbasaur, Squirtle, Charmander. His first episode is a trick house episode where Brock is the star.
Blaine: Pikachu, Squirtle, Muk, Charizard. Stays the same, but Blaine gives some advices (or riddles?) about how to raise Charizard.
Giovanni: Krabby, Tauros, Bulbasaur, Pikachu. Again his episode is splitted in 2 parts and we get some background on why Giovanni has a gym and more about his past.

If we were to stay true to XY style, the roster would look this way.
Lt surge: Pidgeotto, Pikachu.
Sabrina: Pidgeotto, Spearow, Pikachu.
Erika: Pidgeotto, Spearow, Doduo.
Koga: Pidgeotto, Doduo.
Blaine: Pidgeotto, Spearow.
Giovanni: Pidgeotto, Spearow, Doduo.

If we were to stay true to XY style, the roster would look this way.
Lt surge: Pidgeotto, Pikachu.
Sabrina: Pidgeotto, Spearow, Pikachu.
Erika: Pidgeotto, Spearow, Doduo.
Koga: Pidgeotto, Doduo.
Blaine: Pidgeotto, Spearow.
Giovanni: Pidgeotto, Spearow, Doduo.
:ROFLMAO: Hah!!

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom