• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Kanto/Johto Sequels

Torterra isn't popular, lol. I don't think it had a single win that was notable, either. I believe that Empoleon is more popular despite getting the shaft in favor of Piplup.

The Johto starters are popular despite the anime practically ignoring the fully evolved ones. Well, the Raikou special was a nice touch for Typhlosion and Meganium, but still.

Last edited:
Just adding a point to Typhlosion's Speed could make a big difference. For Meganium I would add 10 HP, and for Feraligatr 5 Attack. That way they would all have a BST of 535.

While they've never changed base stats in the middle of a generation, it wouldn't break compatibility.

And are the Kalos and Alola starters popular aside from Greninja and maybe Decidueye? I doubt that Torterra has a lot of fans, for that matter.
The Alola Starters are very popular. Their merchandise sells out quickly in Pokemon Centers .

My impression is that they're less popular in the west, but I could be wrong. The leak certainly wasn't received well. I personally like Primarina and somewhat Decidueye.

My impression is that they're less popular in the west, but I could be wrong. The leak certainly wasn't received well. I personally like Primarina and somewhat Decidueye.
People came around to them once they were officially revealed through their debut trailers.
Speaking as a guy who went through a multitude of forums, their overall reception was pretty positive with some hailing them as the best Starter set since Gen 4.

And are the Kalos and Alola starters popular aside from Greninja and maybe Decidueye?
Primarina's pretty popular, and I wouldn't exactly say Decidueye is just a "maybe." Its design was obviously meant as an attempt to copy the popularity of Greninja, and while it's not as popular as Greninja, it definitely succeeded at becoming the fan-favorite.

Incineroar's the red-headed stepchild of Gen VII, even though I'm fond of it. Even then, I find Decidueye and Primarina to be better. Decidueye and Primarina aren't absurdly popular like Charizard or Greninja, but I see a lot more love for both of them than I do for the Gen II or Gen V starters.

Hell, even Serperior's fairly popular now thanks to Contrary making it the only Grass-type starter that doesn't need a Mega stone to make it a viable Pokémon competitively. Admittedly, it wasn't really popular before its HA was released, aside from the whole "Smugleaf" thing.

Last edited:
You seem to be talking about popularity based on viability rather than design.
I'll give you Serperior, yeah, but I've still not seen much love for the Johto starters compared to the Gen I and III trios, Greninja, Primarina and Decidueye. They're still more popular than Torterra, the Gen V trio and 2/3 of the Gen VI starters, though.

I mean, I often see Chikorita pretty high on "worst starter" lists alongside Chesnaught and the Gen V trio. Not sure how popular Feraligatr and Typhlosion are, but I rarely see them mentioned among the "worst starters."

Last edited:
Regardless, subtle design changes are the way to go. We're all relying on anecdotal evidence and there are a slew of fans from the 1998-2001 era that don't talk about their favorite/worst starter.

And I rather doubt that the Mega Kanto starters are more popular design-wise than the regular forms. Charizard, for one, is being promoted this year without any Mega.

I think that Meganium looked at its best in Crystal and they should just change its model to make its petals that color again with a longer tail. Then the ability/move could restore the leaf on its head.

Last edited:
Back on topic, I recently asked my fellow co-worker Koji why he wanted Kanto follow-ups so badly.
* He only recently got back into the series with SM with his last game being HGSS*
He told me that out of all the core titles he believes that Kanto is the least developed in terms of lore and story.
Legendary Pokémon like Articuno, Zapdos, and Moltres have no established mythos and the overall story in the old games is nearly non existent. After playing SM he desires that the same amount of care be put into the original games to tie-up loose ends.

I'd be all for adding more story to Kanto. A major reason Gens V and VII are my favorite Gens is because they're so far the only games in the series that have stories that I consider "good." If they can give Kanto/Johto characters on the level of N and Lillie, that'd be great.

I'm sure Blaziken was there to pun on the early bird idiom and to foreshadow ORAS.

It's also France's national animal.

Torterra isn't popular, lol. I don't think it had a single win that was notable, either. I believe that Empoleon is more popular despite getting the shaft in favor of Piplup.

The Johto starters are popular despite the anime practically ignoring the fully evolved ones. Well, the Raikou special was a nice touch for Typhlosion and Meganium, but still.

You have absolutely no basis for saying these! lol.

Speaking of starters, I gotta say the Alola trio (though I'm only neutral on Popplio) are the best trio since Gen IV, imo. I really love Decidueye and Incineroar.

Though, for me personally, I think that they're only somewhat better than Gen VI's (which I also liked a lot--esecially Chestnaught, my favorite).

Gen V's starters... don't get me started lol. Not a fan. They all started out promising enough I suppose, but then every single one of them went way downhill as they evolved.

it wouldn't break compatibility.

Not that they even care anymore. XY not getting any kind of patch after ORAS's additions made that all too clear -_-

Sequels since that would allow Nintendo to easily incorporate more changes to the games.

Speaking of starters, I gotta say the Alola trio (though I'm only neutral on Popplio) are the best trio since Gen IV, imo. I really love Decidueye and Incineroar.

Though, for me personally, I think that they're only somewhat better than Gen VI's (which I also liked a lot--esecially Chestnaught, my favorite).

Gen V's starters... don't get me started lol. Not a fan. They all started out promising enough I suppose, but then every single one of them went way downhill as they evolved.

Not that they even care anymore. XY not getting any kind of patch after ORAS's additions made that all too clear -_-
You and I will be bros then haha. I feel the same way especially since I was rooting for Mijumaru

WE WERE ALL ROOTING FOR MIJUMARU!! I actually like the designs, I just wish they made Samurot Water Fighting and Serperior Grass Dragon instead. And please... anything but Fire Fighting again for the third time in a row?
I was pulling for Tepig's line to be Fire/Dark so I could nickname mine Ganon. I still like the Unova starters, but they still were somewhat disappointing in some form. I was happy the Grass-type was a snake, at least, since I'm fond of snakes.

I can't really support Serperior being Grass/Dragon, though, since it then would have no weaknesses to the other two aside from Samurott's Ice-type coverage moves. Granted, both Infernape and Torterra went the extra mile and had SE STAB against their fellow Gen IV starters, so there's no real problem, I guess.

Last edited:
You and I will be bros then haha. I feel the same way especially since I was rooting for Mijumaru

Saaame. Oshawott/Mijumaru was my favorite from the beginning, and even its evolution disappointed me. Dewott was great, it had a good design and a clear progression from Osha. But then... Samurott just comes out of left field as a totally unrecognizable jump. Worse than that is that it's based on a samurai, but didn't even get a Fighting or Steel type (no 2nd type at all, no less) to better represent it's fighting skills as a samurai, or to use a steel shell to represent a smaurai's sword. Nothin. Just a boring plain Water type, and probably the most underwhelming Water starter final evolution. I would honestly prefer just giving Dewott an Eviolite lol.

WE WERE ALL ROOTING FOR MIJUMARU!! I actually like the designs, I just wish they made Samurot Water Fighting and Serperior Grass Dragon instead. And please... anything but Fire Fighting again for the third time in a row?

This, this, all of this. Samurott (along with a slight redesign to make it more similar to Dewott, or at least appear to be related) could've been Water/Fighting or Water/Steel. Serperior could've been Grass/Poison (snake) or Grass/Dragon, potentially. And Emboar could've been literally anything else. Personally, I expected Ground, since pigs and mud.

If Samurott was Water/Steel (which would be cool), then we'd have people complaining about two reused type combos for starters. Water/Fighting would have been great, though.

After having a friggin' Ghost-type starter, I feel that pretty much any type combo (aside from Water/Grass, Grass/Fire or Fire/Water) could happen now.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom