• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Kanto/Johto Sequels

There we have it. There was a Pokémon game revealed on 21st May: Pokémon Super Mystery Dungeon, launching for the Nintendo 3DS in Japan this autumn, North America this winter and Europe in Spring 2016.

I've said it all along, but I see the timing of this announcement and release as confirmation that there won't be a new main series game this year. So roll on 2016 and a kick-ass anniversary game - I think GameFreak will need it.

Last edited:
I've said it all along, but I see the timing of this announcement and release as confirmation that there won't be a new main series game this year.
Not to be nitpicky, but you were singing a different tune last year. You thought that they would release Kalos prequels instead of taking a break, and we had a long discussion about it.

I've said it all along, but I see the timing of this announcement and release as confirmation that there won't be a new main series game this year.
Not to be nitpicky, but you were singing a different tune last year. You thought that they would release Kalos prequels instead of taking a break, and we had a long discussion about it.
Things change. Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire came out and it became very clear that GameFreak needed to take a break, then on top of that, Nintendo announced that they would be distributing Yo-Kai Watch.

Besides, my suggestion of Kalos prequels was just that - a suggestion; not an educated guess. I mean, the idea would still be cooler than Z, or X2/Y2 but I've never seen them as realistically likely.

There we have it. There was a Pokémon game revealed on 21st May: Pokémon Super Mystery Dungeon, launching for the Nintendo 3DS in Japan this autumn, North America this winter and Europe in Spring 2016.

I've said it all along, but I see the timing of this announcement and release as confirmation that there won't be a new main series game this year. So roll on 2016 and a kick-ass anniversary game - I think GameFreak will need it.

We've still got Satoshi coming to E3. I doubt this GF's this is big announcement.

Also for people who want to discuss a R/G/B/Y remake, here's the thread - http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/f323/generation-1-remake-discussion-thread-170076/

We've still got Satoshi coming to E3. I doubt this GF's this is big announcement.

Also for people who want to discuss a R/G/B/Y remake, here's the thread - http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/f323/generation-1-remake-discussion-thread-170076/
Taijiri coming to E3 is a rumor last I heard

Taijiri coming to E3 is a rumor last I heard

Wasn't aware it was just a rumor, my mistake.

I had an idea come to me for a 20th anniversary game. Since Pokémon originated in Japan, it would be interesting if they decided to make a game that spans all of the first 4 regions(Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, and Sinnoh) since they're derived from real-world locations in Japan. I highly doubt that would happen, but it's just a thought that had crossed my mind.

I've never seen them use collectible stuff to hype upcoming games that haven't been announced yet. Remember when everyone thought we were getting the R/S remakes on the DS because there were suspicious amounts of gen III plushies everywhere? It's best to hold off judgement until we know for a fact that there's a game to go with the campaign. If not, then the figures are the anniversary celebration since they haven't paid much mind to the in-game characters outside of the TCG.

That Brock is awesome and I do want, though.

If they do revisit Kanto why not give us a sequel or a prequel like BW2, Have FireRed2 and LeafGreen2?
Although a prequel might be even more interesting, not sure what would be in it but it would be something quite diffrent.

^^^ A prequel or a sequel would be a nice change in pace besides the usual remake.

Though if a remake does happen, I want a lot of added junk to make it worthwhile! Nah, I'm just kidding. I am hoping they make something where they put a lot of effort into it. It's kind of exciting to ponder the possibilites, really. =D

HG タケシ | プレミアムバンダイ | バンダイ公式通販サイト

I'm assuming this is for the 20th anniversary (let's hope all of the Kanto gym leaders get one :D), but maybe stuff like this is also to drum up hype for a sequel/remake?

Off-topic, but, I never noticed he was without a shirt in that sprite. I learn something new everyday...

If they do revisit Kanto why not give us a sequel or a prequel like BW2, Have FireRed2 and LeafGreen2?
Although a prequel might be even more interesting, not sure what would be in it but it would be something quite diffrent.
Professor oak as the new professor of Kanto, protag is red's dad/mom, and the rival is Giovanni. Story has no evil team, just red's parent trying and failing to stop Giovanni from turning evil.

Failing that, sequels would be to GSC as well, as they are basically RG2 already.

Professor oak as the new professor of Kanto, protag is red's dad/mom, and the rival is Giovanni. Story has no evil team, just red's parent trying and failing to stop Giovanni from turning evil.

Failing that, sequels would be to GSC as well, as they are basically RG2 already.

You could make a sequel after GSC or have a near future sequel instead?

Yes, post gsc sequels is the general idea, for me and many others. Hell, I personally think a series wide sequel as a new starting point in general would be far more better. Set it after XY, a good 13-20 in game years after RGBY, and have plot threads that incorporate the other regions and leave things open for speculation.

Ken Sugimori has just revealed the beta design of the first Kanto Gym Leader, who wasn't Brock originally. Judging from the position, this character was probably supposed to be the Viridian leader, and ended up being replaced by Giovanni. There is even some physical resemblance.

I think it would be neat if this character ended up being Blue's successor in sequels. But he shouldn't be related to Giovanni, as Silver already serves that role.

I wouldn't want another game set in Kanto because to me Kanto is boring and dull. The same goes for Johto, although it's a little more interesting than Kanto. I really do appreciate Gen I and Kanto for being the first game of the series, without it Pokemon wouldn't exist. Johto, being a great follow up at the time, further increased the love for and popularity of Pokemon allowing it to become this big hit it is today. However, later regions such as Hoenn, Sinnoh, Unova and Kalos are much more interesting and fascinating in my eyes.

For me, a game set in Kanto, would need to have Kanto go through a major update in terms of design and, perhaps, lore. In that case, however, fans might not be very happy seeing a dear region change so much. Unfortunately, I just don't share the love and excitement for Kanto as other people do. If I see an update/sequel/remake/whatever of Kanto for the 20th anniversary, I will be a little disappointed.

On the other hand, the idea of having Generation VII set in Guyana, exploring Pokemon's background and connecting the story to Mew, Mewtwo and Kanto sounds promising. That is something I would be interested in. However, I feel like XY really needs a third game or a sequel, because we haven't seen too much from the region yet, but just a XY sequel/third game for the 20th would probably be a little disappointing too...

Someone linked a figure of Brock. I think that would make for a pretty good anniversary celebration, too. Having figures of major characters from all regions (Gym Leaders, Protagonists, Champions, Rivals, Team Leaders). I'd definitely buy a few (as much as I can afford that is). Well, even just Generation I characters on figures would be interesting enough, but why not expand on it? It's the anniversary after all!

Kanto sequel sounds interesting and could be set a year or two after events of HGSS. Pokedex could be expanded to include cross evolutions, pre evolutions and maybe some other region pokemon to help with gym leaders and Elite Four teams. During main story, a small group of Team rocket could set off to catch legendary birds but it backfires as the birds fly away in a rage. Once all three birds have been awaken, they start fighting in some area (maybe viridian forest?) and you have to go to a new area in kanto awaken Lugia which is added to Kanto dex. Lugia will then fly away and you head back to the area of the fight where cut scenes of the birds fighting occur. A cut scene of Lugia showing up and overpowering the birds with a potential new form/mega evolution would end the fight. The birds and Lugia return to their homes where you can now catch them. The post-game story would involve Mewtwo and maybe Mew. Gym leader rematches would include mega evolution and the Elite four would have megas as well.

While I like the idea of a Gen 1 sequel, I don't think it'll happen. We'll likely just get an X/Y third game/sequel(s) instead next year as is traditional.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom