• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Kanto/Johto Sequels

I'm still holding out for a Kanto post game in USUM. It would be fantastic, and they have every reason to do it. We will see.

The thing is... First impression is key, and they chose to promote USUM as a retread of Alola. Announcing Kanto later wouldn't have the same effect as presenting the games as taking place in both regions to begin with.

Granted, Kanto was left as a surprise for GS, but back then marketing was much more laid back (the Internet was not widely used) and Kanto had just recently been revisited in Yellow. Not to mention that GS being a new generation meant that they didn't need Kanto for freshness...

I'd be glad to be proven wrong, but I expect nothing.

Last edited:
So I guess this is probably never going to happen now? What a missed opportunity. I'm terribly upset.

It is unlikely happen in this generation with Lillie. In general for the 25th anniversary? Who knows.

I am tired of playing the waiting game when Game Freak seem content with very little ambition for mid-generation games.

Edit: If Game Freak release the next generation in late 2018 or early 2019, then we'll probably just get yet another Switch-based generation for 2021. How wonderful.

Last edited:
It is unlikely happen in this generation with Lillie. In general for the 25th anniversary? Who knows.

I am tired of playing the waiting game when Game Freak seem content with very little ambition for mid-generation games.

Edit: If Game Freak release the next generation in late 2018 or early 2019, then we'll probably just get yet another Switch-based generation for 2021. How wonderful.
@Silktree what would you propose for a Kanto sequel for switch as in an overall game. I don't think they are likely to be the first switch games, but lets talk hypothetical. I think you've previously discussed things like a follow up to kanto beyond the time of RBGY or GSC in terms of a new storyline and characters. Also, updating an old 2d game with hd 3d models. I'm curious about the overall game such as would these games be in gen VII or the beginning of gen VIII? Somewhere in between (7.5)??? Would these games have brand new pokemon and mores or just an expanded dex for some of the 800+ mons? Would these games introduce new mechanics? How would these game be compatible with gen vii/viii? For funsies does the fighting dojo in Saffron regain supremacy and become a gym again?

I think there is a reason why generations begin with a new game and not a remake (assuming the Switch line of "core" games will be the next generation.) I think it would confuse things too much to start things off with a remake. Maybe I'm overthinking things. Maybe I'm a filthy casual. I don't know, but I know I love the pokemon franchise (probably more than I should.)

I hope this does not come off as confrontational or disrespectful. I truly, honestly want to understand your mindset and why you seem to desire Kanto sequels/follow-ups over other options. Also, let it be known that I'm not opposed to kanto sequels (I think it's a neat idea), its just that I feel that a new generation is more likely and that DP need some new love in terms of visiting old regions.

No kanto sequel please. Maybe just Johto by itself but that could be tricky. I rather see Sinnoh happen first. I would even take another kalos game.

I'd love another Kalos game but it just seems unlikely for them to revisit it so soon.

Johto by itself is never going to happen. I'm not keen on another Kanto+Johto remake but a Kanto+Johto with a time skip of at least 10 years would be very interesting since so much can change since then.

I'm neutral with Sinnoh though I guess I should play Platinum again. I don't think I finished it and I can't really remember anything about it except for Cynthia and Piplup. Should I play Platinum or DP?

I'd love another Kalos game but it just seems unlikely for them to revisit it so soon.

Johto by itself is never going to happen. I'm not keen on another Kanto+Johto remake but a Kanto+Johto with a time skip of at least 10 years would be very interesting since so much can change since then.

I'm neutral with Sinnoh though I guess I should play Platinum again. I don't think I finished it and I can't really remember anything about it except for Cynthia and Piplup. Should I play Platinum or DP?

Play Platinum.

@Silktree what would you propose for a Kanto sequel for switch as in an overall game. I don't think they are likely to be the first switch games, but lets talk hypothetical. I think you've previously discussed things like a follow up to kanto beyond the time of RBGY or GSC in terms of a new storyline and characters. Also, updating an old 2d game with hd 3d models. I'm curious about the overall game such as would these games be in gen VII or the beginning of gen VIII? Somewhere in between (7.5)??? Would these games have brand new pokemon and mores or just an expanded dex for some of the 800+ mons? Would these games introduce new mechanics? How would these game be compatible with gen vii/viii? For funsies does the fighting dojo in Saffron regain supremacy and become a gym again?

I think there is a reason why generations begin with a new game and not a remake (assuming the Switch line of "core" games will be the next generation.) I think it would confuse things too much to start things off with a remake. Maybe I'm overthinking things. Maybe I'm a filthy casual. I don't know, but I know I love the pokemon franchise (probably more than I should.)

I hope this does not come off as confrontational or disrespectful. I truly, honestly want to understand your mindset and why you seem to desire Kanto sequels/follow-ups over other options. Also, let it be known that I'm not opposed to kanto sequels (I think it's a neat idea), its just that I feel that a new generation is more likely and that DP need some new love in terms of visiting old regions.
First of all, to quote myself: "Sequels are a practical solution if they've realized that they should release a Switch game by the end of 2018, and that they wouldn't be able to do a new generation justice in such a tight timeframe."

I also think it's possible that they wanted to release sequels for the 3DS, but Nintendo made them realize how such games would go a long way to sell people on the Switch. Maybe not as much as a new generation, but fairly close to it and at an earlier point.

I would call such games Generation 7.5, actually, but not necessarily due to new Pokemon. I think it would be enough if we had 40+ forms (era variants, as I'd like them to be) for Pokemon from all existing generations. Similarly, I don't see new mehanics being introduced because, honestly, I don't think fans really want them so soon (if at all). As for communication with the Alola games, Monster Hunter proves that online battles/trades and local trades are possible. I am also sure that a system could be worked out for local battles in a Stadium style (the 3DS player would send their Pokemon to the Switch game and then use the second Switch controller).

So why 7.5? Simply because the graphics are going to look much better, and era variants themselves would go beyond ORAS' 20 Mega Evolutions (a simple expansion of XY's mechanic). But of course, 7.5 wouldn't be an official term, so it would just be semantics some fans might want to use.

Why not DP remakes? I definitely don't see remakes as a good way to get started on a new system, especially with DP being the first DS games and the Switch being a departure from the dual screen systems. Plus, DP arguably lack the appeal the first two generations still have among many adults, as evidenced by Go. Hardcore fans could call the Go audience "filthy casuals/genwunners", but I have no doubt that Nintendo and Game Freak want those people to buy a Switch.

For funsies does the fighting dojo in Saffron regain supremacy and become a gym again?
I'm pretty sure that Sabrina wouldn't be a gym leader again due to her career as an actress... So yeah, the Fighting Dojo could certainly be the Saffrom gym, but since I like the idea of Saffron and Celadon becoming one huge city (Lumiose-like), I'd rather that Erika have a partner for a double battle gym.

Last edited:
Oh no. Lets not start this 7.5 thing. Gen 6.5 was bad enough. Fact is we will never get a generation that is point five. Makes no sense at all.

It's just semantics, dear. Compatibility would still be in place and I don't see new Pokemon being added.

It's just semantics, dear. Compatibility would still be in place and I don't see new Pokemon being added.
It is not actually. There can not be half a gen. New forms are not new pokemon.

Last edited:
No kanto sequel please. Maybe just Johto by itself but that could be tricky. I rather see Sinnoh happen first. I would even take another kalos game.

Why would they have it be Johto by itself when that region has never had its own game alone? They're better off doing just Kanto first or both, and the latter would make more sense.

And later on down the road, it'd open up the doors for Hoenn sequels, Sinnoh sequels, and so on. It makes no sense to skip Kanto sequels in favor of Johto sequels.

That'd be like skipping out on DP remakes and moving straight to BW remakes for example. That's not a good example, but I can't think of a better one. I understand people are sick of Kanto, but Kanto+Johto would be better in the long run instead of one or the other.

Hardcore fans could call the Go audience "filthy casuals/genwunners", but I have no doubt that Nintendo and Game Freak want those people to buy a Switch.

This really is the most important point of all. Putting something aesthetically similar in front of the faces of newly acquired and reacquired fans alike, will only help sell more systems and sell more games. And put more players in the driver's seat of the games GameFreak and Nintendo most wants fans to purchase and play.

If GameFreak is looking for the cheapest and quickest solution (they are) that simultaneously garners the most attention (they are) to maximize profit (they are), then what better way to do so than a Kanto/Johto sequel? It's a fucking layup. Will GameFreak actually follow through, though? That's anyone's guess.

I want depth more than breadth at this point in the franchise, and it just so happens that this is (as far as I can tell) for once in GameFreak's best interest as well, as they transition to the Switch.

Yeah. I like new generations and all, but churning them out too quickly is a good way to get fans burned out. And it certainly doesn't promote depth of content.

Yeah. I like new generations and all, but churning them out too quickly is a good way to get fans burned out. And it certainly doesn't promote depth of content.
XY/SM were too easy and lack of Post-Game content. I wouldn't want Gen VIII to be the same as they are.

This really is the most important point of all. Putting something aesthetically similar in front of the faces of newly acquired and reacquired fans alike, will only help sell more systems and sell more games. And put more players in the driver's seat of the games GameFreak and Nintendo most wants fans to purchase and play.

If GameFreak is looking for the cheapest and quickest solution (they are) that simultaneously garners the most attention (they are) to maximize profit (they are), then what better way to do so than a Kanto/Johto sequel? It's a fucking layup. Will GameFreak actually follow through, though? That's anyone's guess.

I want depth more than breadth at this point in the franchise, and it just so happens that this is (as far as I can tell) for once in GameFreak's best interest as well, as they transition to the Switch.

Exactly. But still they go with USUM. I don't get it at all. The "casuals" who weren't interested in SM wouldn't be interested in USUM now. Many who bought SM probably wouldn't buy USUM either since it'll be pretty much the same thing. I can only imagine the real hardcore gamers getting that tbh. Of course we don't actually know what USUM is about but it just doesn't seem like a hugely profitable idea.

Anyway, I really hope that any Kanto-Johto sequel be available on the 3DS. I have no money to spend on a Switch. Or at least have it be available on both? The thing is, it doesn't seem likely that it'll be coming out anytime soon so I guess my wish is moot. I can only hope that they include Kanto-Johto in the post game of USUM but that would also really be a stretch no? Would they be able to include both Kanto and Johto?

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom