• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Kanto Starters

Which Kanto starter will you choose from Sycamore?

• Total voters
I was surprised when I saw that you will be able to get 2 starters. I think I will pick Charmander for sure or maybe Bublasaur as I've never really used him before in any generation. I am really impressed by their mega forms, especially charizards! I keep seeing all over some Pokemon Facebook pages of all these people complaining saying Pokemon is all ruined. And I get that that is their opinion, but to me... it looks pretty sweet.

mega charizard shiny its the most badass dragon in the series so far
i guess i'll have the start breeding for a shiny charmander. i wonder if we only get the megastone for the starter we choose
89635d1378346341-mega-evolution-discussion-zowuute.jpg

Too bad Mega Charizard doesn't have the same color scheme as Charmeleon.

260px-005Charmeleon.png

It would look even better like that.

You make me want a shiny Charmander so I can get a glorious black MZard.

And now I want Rayquaza to get a Megavolution so I could get a Shiny Megavolved Rayquaza...

/mfw all the Legends and Starters get a Megavolved form, and then a few other random fan-favorites like Absol and Mawile and Lucario getting them too

Here's a random question, what if the Kanto Starters we're given have their Dream World abilities? I know it's far-fetched, but hey, the Torchic we're getting has it. Dream World abilities are no longer the new 'in' thing, so maybe we'll see them distributed more commonly now.

Hey, maybe we can finally get female DW Starters out of this!!!!!

#pipe dream #wishful thinking

That's what I'm hoping, but notice on the XY site? With Blaziken, they didn't mention Blaziken's ability but with the starters they did....I can see why they did it with Blaziken since they're giving out Speed Boost Torchic and didn't want to hint at whether they needed to be DW Pokemon or not....but I feel like the lack of mentioning DW abilities means that Mega Kanto Starters don't have it.

Here's a random question, what if the Kanto Starters we're given have their Dream World abilities? I know it's far-fetched, but hey, the Torchic we're getting has it. Dream World abilities are no longer the new 'in' thing, so maybe we'll see them distributed more commonly now.

Hey, maybe we can finally get female DW Starters out of this!!!!!

#pipe dream #wishful thinking

;___;

I would be so happy if the odds of finding DW females was increased with Gen6. I still don't have a Drought Vulpix or Prankster Murkrow. Or maybe make it so males can pass DW Abilities too? Even if it's at a lower rate than females, it would still mean 90% of DW males are useful (since a lot of them don't come with BMs or DW-exclusive moves, that seems pretty rare too).

After doing some thinking i've decided to go with the minority here and not choose any of the Kanto starters, Torchic will be the only non-Kalos starter i'll use in my first playthough.

I won't be using any of the Kanto starters on my team either. But it does look like we have to choose one and can't turn the offer down, so given Mega Charizard looks cool and has earth-scorching Drought power, I'll most likely pick Charmander... then dump it in the PC. Playthroughs after the first/second, I might use one though. Well maybe, I'm not overly keen on any of them really, so maybe not.

I'm going to choose Bulbasaur for right now. I'd pick Charmander because Mega Charizard actually looks really cool, but I'm already going to have three other Fire types on my team (Fennekin, Talonflame, and Litleo) and I'll need a Grass type to be able to counter their weakness to Water, Rock, and Ground types. And in case I don't find another Grass type I like more early enough, Bulbasaur will be there as a back up at least until then.

i wont be using my kanto starter unless im realllly disappointed by gen 6 poke-options (which im not so far) but probably going ot get squirtle anyhow, just because megablastoise is even more of a tank than before!

What I did for White 2, and what I might do for Gen VI, is that I used a team composed entirely of that Generation's Pokemon for the main game, but switched them out for cross-regional Pokemon for the post game.

So for example, I'd use Chespin/Fennekin/Froakie/Talonflame/Xerneas/Yveltal for the main game, but Bulbasaur/Charmander/Squirtle/Mewtwo/Ampharos/Gardevoir for the post game.

At first, I was thinking about just putting my Kanto starters in a box for the time being since I want to focus on the Kalos Pokemon, but the Mega Evolutions for Charizard and Venasaur are so tempting due to their designs and abilities. Plus, I haven't raised any of the Kanto starters in ages, so it would be kind of new in a way. It might be easier to decide once they reveal the evolutions for the new starters, but right now, I'm kind of on the fence about whether I'll use them or not.

As tempting as it is to use the Kanto starters again, I think I'll pass on using them and just make them backup for my Kalos Pokemon.

At first I thought I'd pick Bulbasaur, but I've just realised that I'm picking Chespin which is annoying because I've never really trained a Bulbasaur.

I'm picking which ever Kanto Starter covers the weakness of my Kalos Starter.

After doing some thinking i've decided to go with the minority here and not choose any of the Kanto starters, Torchic will be the only non-Kalos starter i'll use in my first playthough.

In that case, I guess I'm in the even smaller minority who doesn't plan on using any non-Kalos starter. Both Torchic and my Kanto starter will probably be boxed immediately.

I won't be using Torchic or a Kanto starter, since I don't think Mega Evolution will be available that early in the game anyway and plus your starter isn't gonna be fully-evolved anytime soon and it would be basically using the same Pokemon as you did any other game and since this is XY the Kalosian starters are the stars.

Using it throughout the game would defeat the purpose of choosing the Kalos starter. .-.

I don't think it would, because even if you pick a Kanto starter, the Kalos one will still be your true starter and the first Pokémon you got in the game. I don't think I will use the Kanto starter either, anyawy, sicne I plan to have all three Kalos starters in my first team, depending of their evolutions, so I doubt I will have space for Bulbasaur. I definitely want to use Spritzee, Malamar and maybe Pangoro, so...

Using it throughout the game would defeat the purpose of choosing the Kalos starter. .-.

I don't think it would, because even if you pick a Kanto starter, the Kalos one will still be your true starter and the first Pokémon you got in the game. I don't think I will use the Kanto starter either, anyawy, sicne I plan to have all three Kalos starters in my first team, depending of their evolutions, so I doubt I will have space for Bulbasaur. I definitely want to use Spritzee, Malamar and maybe Pangoro, so...

Understandable, I suppose. ^^; You do raise a good point. Even if I did pick Bulbasaur, my true starter would be Chespin, and I kind of want to go through the game with both...

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom