• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Kanto Starters

Which Kanto starter will you choose from Sycamore?

• Total voters
Charmander prolly but then if I have Talonflame then I wouldn't need Charizard so maybe the type that isn't my starter or fire?

My favorite Kalos starter is Chespin and my favorite Kanto starter is Squirtile. So that works out well. Especially since I'm getting Y and I like Clauncher far more than Skrelp. So I can use a water type that a like! :)

It depends of Chespin's evolutions.... if they are desirable then i wont bother with Kanto starters, if it sucks then Bulbasaur all the way.

Me personally? I don't actually mind my precious little Bulbasaur taking up one of my team slots. Though as previously stated, I may save him for the post game. Still, it would be really nice to go around with two Starter Pokemon. I can still make most of my team Kalos oriented, but keep Bulbasaur because it's Bulbasaur. I'll most likely box Torchic until the post game though. I plan to start with either Chespin or Fennekin, or I can go through this convoluted process of getting all six Starters. Meh.

Honestly, if it was any other Starter, I'd definitely box them until the post game, but....but....BULBASAUR!!!!!!

Using [the Kanto starter] throughout the game would defeat the purpose of choosing the Kalos starter. .-.
That's still my sentiment too, though not as much as when it was still only a rumor. Besides, if you pick a Kanto starter whose element doesn't match your Kalos starter then by definition it is not upstaging it because they will serve different roles when fighting opposing Pokemon types.

However, if Lumiose is the third city you visit then it's safe to assume that your Kalos starter will have already reached its first evolution by the time you pick up your Kanto starter, at which point since you've seen one evo already you'll probably want to keep it on your team until you see its final form.

It's a good thing my heart was set on Chespin from the beginning. I would not under any circumstances choose Fennekin over Mega Charizard. I might even toss in blaziken.

If Game Freak by any means release Mega Sceptile early after the game release (which I doubt), I might have three Grass-type starter Pokémon in my team. Sounds like fun to me. The funny thing is that I posted in a thread, not so long ago, that I never played a game with a team composed of only starters and that actually might happen now with XY. The three Kalos starters + Mega Venusaur + Mega Sceptile (pls gf) +... Malamar. Well, close enough.

Technically you could have an all-starter team as early as Gen 2 ... though with six Gens now you can assemble an all-starter team of the same element if you wish.

Technically you could have an all-starter team as early as Gen 2 ... though with six Gens now you can assemble an all-starter team of the same element if you wish.

Technically, you can have an all Starter Pokemon team as early as Generation 1. Two Bulbasaur, two Charmander, and two Squirtle.

If Game Freak by any means release Mega Sceptile early after the game release (which I doubt), I might have three Grass-type starter Pokémon in my team. Sounds like fun to me. The funny thing is that I posted in a thread, not so long ago, that I never played a game with a team composed of only starters and that actually might happen now with XY. The three Kalos starters + Mega Venusaur + Mega Sceptile (pls gf) +... Malamar. Well, close enough.

Event Torchic?

Event Torchic?

Yeah, there is the event Mega Blaziken as well, but I really want to use Malamar in my first playthrough.

I already decided to not use the event Torchic since I could wait until whenever R/S remakes come out to do that. With the Kanto starters, I'm more unsure just because of how long its been since I raised any of them, along with how cool Mega Venasaur and Mega Charizard look. I was planning on not having any Mega Pokemon on my teams, but I might change my mind. The only problem would be with how that alters my plans for my teams, but I still think that learning their evolutions would really help out with making my decision.

I'm thinking Bulbasaur. I like Charmander, but I'm almost currently deadset on Fennekin as my Kalos starter, so Bulba will be more useful on my team. I haven't used a Poison type in ages anyway, and Mega Venusaur has a great ability.

Same here.

Also I broke the tie between charmander and bulbsaur, incoming hate in 3,2,1....

Here's what I'm planning, but only with luck.

Hopefully, like some Fakemon out there, Froakie will evolve into an awesome, bubbly-bearded Pokemon with a pipe or something along the lines of that. I choose Froakie as my Kalos starter.
For the Kanto starter, I choose Bulbasaur, the most underrated one, because it's Mega Evolution is actually pretty cool.
Finally, I get the distribution Torchic and put it on my team.
Bam. Froakie, Bulbasaur, and Torchic. Water, Grass, Fire.
My case is closed.

Eh.... Not sure. I like Blastoise the best out of final stages, but I hate its Mega the most. I'll probably just go with Bulbasaur, since I like both Venusaur and its Mega.

Still won't train/use it until post game though. I have my eyes set on Skiddo.

My hubby loves squritle so even though he has frokie for a starter he's still choosing his favorite starter of all time. My best friend and I fought over charmandar but in the end I took bulbasaur. I've chosen fenny was his argument so I choose bulbasaur and let him have charmandar since he chose chespin.

Re: Kanto Starters?

I think that they would be included in the post-storyline content of the game. I can't really see them including the Kanto starters early in the game when they'd want to focus more on the new starters and new Pokemon. While I like the Kanto starters, there most likely wouldn't be any room on my teams to have them, but I could probably save them for another game instead.
But they gave them Mega Evos and they must be interested in making us use Megas and therefore, you may be get them early. At least I hope so.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom