• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Kanto Starters

Which Kanto starter will you choose from Sycamore?

• Total voters
Re: Kanto Starters?

Hard choice for me. Love Froakie, but I want Squirtle. Thing is, I want Talonflame, which rules out charmander and fennekin. I loathe venosaur, but love Chespin. So its either Chespin and Squirtle or Froakie and Bulbasaur. Damn.

Re: Kanto Starters?

ugh why Kanto? the sinnoh starters would have been a much better choice.

Depends on your taste I could say the same about the Johto ones, the idea her is, they are making a big jump to 3D, they want to be nostalgic and show us the Origins anime and giving us the Kanto starters ingame, plus Mewtwo is also somehow tied to the game.

I played RB, but I don't remember which was my first starter. I beat the game with each of them, and I liked all of them. Mega Blastoise definitely looks the coolest though.

How many people are going to ask that . . . ?

We don't know for sure, but we do know it's professor Sycamore who hands them out. Sycamore reportedly lives in Lumiose City, which appears comparable to Goldenrod/Castelia in being the third or fourth city you reach in-game.

In terms of levels, I would say your Pokemon will probably be in the Lv.20 range (and half of them evolved once, including your Kalos starter) by that point....

How early in the game do we get the Kanto starters, is it known?

It's as early as after the first gym, because he gives them to us in his Lumiose City lab. But we have no idea if we get them on our first visit, so no clue.

EDIT: As for which one I'd choose, I'm inclined to go with Squirtle, but that depends on what happens with the 6th gen starters (primarily Fennekin, as that's the starter I'm currently most interested in) and whether or not the other Mega Stones are still obtainable (i.e. if I pick Squirtle, will they only give me the Blastoisenite, or can I get the other two and use them when I trade over Bulbasaur and Charmander?). Charmander would be my second choice if my Fennekin/Squirtle combo doesn't work out.

Last edited:
The last nintendo Direct seemed to imply that you actually get your starter really early on, like the first time you meet the professor, wherein he'll give you a kanto starter (your friend is confirmed ot give you your Kalos Starter).

The last nintendo Direct seemed to imply that you actually get your starter really early on, like the first time you meet the professor, wherein he'll give you a kanto starter (your friend is confirmed ot give you your Kalos Starter).
And the official site states that you'll actually meet him in Lumiose City, which is at least one Badge away. That is still relatively "early" on the game, considering you do have up to seven more Badges, the E4, and a villainous team between you and the end credits.

I would choose Bulbasaur or Squirtle depending on my Kalos starter. Most likely bulbasaur though since it has the best looking mega evolution of the three. However I doubt you would get them early on. I'm guessing it will be like HGSS where you get after completing the game, of course I could be wrong.

Am I the only one who's not entirely exited for the Kanto starters? I just feel like it's another slot in the main party that I would have to use where I could be filling that slot with another Pokemon, I've played with all of the Kanto starters at least twice each before because of my replays. I guess I could just bench them in the PC and not worry about it but I just feel like this was a poor choice on the creators part. But a lot of people seem excited about this so I guess they know what they are doing.

Most people aren't in the situation where they've played through games with the Kanto starters since the 90s, because a lot of fans weren't alive back then. It's for them. When the games give out starters in the post game, it doesn't really let you fully appreciate them because the only way to play with them is just grind them to a higher level. This gives people who didn't play RBY or even FRLG a chance to go through a game with those starters. They aren't in the game for you.

Since the Kanto Starter isn't optional, I'll be using both Fennekin AND Charmander. I always go with the fire starter, after all, and since we get two starters, it's two fire type starters all the way. I was annoyed by it in the beginning, but...well, considering how badass Mega Charizard looks, I don't mind that they're using Kanto starters instead of cooler Starters like Shinnoh starters.

How many times did I type the word "starter"...?

Most people aren't in the situation where they've played through games with the Kanto starters since the 90s, because a lot of fans weren't alive back then. It's for them. When the games give out starters in the post game, it doesn't really let you fully appreciate them because the only way to play with them is just grind them to a higher level. This gives people who didn't play RBY or even FRLG a chance to go through a game with those starters. They aren't in the game for you.

If that's really a problem, then they need to look at making a new game set in Kanto, because they're missing much, much more than the opportunity to use starters in the storyline.

Actually I think the opposite, I personally think that the only reason they are giving us the Kanto starters is because of the old school fans. Moving the main franchise Pokemon into 3D is creating a new era of Pokemon just like red and blue did. They cant just remake Kanto; too many people would throw a fit, "Oh its same game again only in 3d, just a money grab Nintendo"

If that's really a problem, then they need to look at making a new game set in Kanto, because they're missing much, much more than the opportunity to use starters in the storyline.

Every generation aside from V has visited Kanto. I'm sick of Kanto.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom