• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Kanto: The Major Changes

I want the Sevii Islands to return, because a whole group of islands don't just mysteriously vanish..

Oh wait this is Pokeyman D8

Well Sevii Islands won't add anything new to Johto. :/

And you can always get Deoxys, if they have the event.

They won't "vanish mysteriously". They'll just be unavailable to visit. They're not that close to Kanto, anyway.

They wouldn't vanish, you just won't have access to travel there. Sevii was never part of Kanto proper. While I would love the addition, I have doubts that they are included.

I find it very hard to believe that you're able to take a ship to a DIFFERENT continent but a group of islands is too far.

Well Sevii Islands won't add anything new to Johto. :/

And? Neither would contests yet people want to see them return too.

I'd like Cinnibar to have an actual volcano if it really has to remain in a state of disrepair. The lava pits in Clair's gym have got me psyched to see more, and a full fledged lava dungeon is something the main pokemon games have never really touched before. Well apart from Mt. Chimney and Stark, but they didn't really run with the theme.

Also, I thought digging up the graves of deceased pokemon and relocating them to a pokey little house for the sake of radio-based entertainment was pretty awkward. There aren't any size or graphical limitations any longer, so I don't see why Pokemon Tower couldn't remain with the new Radio tower located on the other side of town or something. It'd make Lavender a little less useless at least. There are plenty of ghosts these days, so most could go in there I'd wager.

And? Neither would contests yet people want to see them return too.

Contests would add something new to Johto, numbskull.
You don't have contests in Johto, now do you?

In the sevii islands you have an Ice cave and a daycare, both of which are readily available in Johto.

I find it very hard to believe that you're able to take a ship to a DIFFERENT continent but a group of islands is too far.

I'm sure the ship would be perfectly capable of going there, it just doesn't. The Seviis aren't part of its schedule.

I don't believe in Sevii anymore. We would know about them already, I think.
No, we wouldn't. Almost nothing has been officially confirmed about the Kanto journey aside from having to go on a boat to reach the region. Before the original Gold and Silver games were released, no indication had been given that Kanto would be included. Likewise, only One Island had been seen prior to the release of FireRed and LeafGreen; since no one had suspected to find more than three islands altogether, the post-Elite Four islands and their wild Generation II Pokémon (and Deoxys) came as a complete surprise. In other words, there is no reason to expect that every surprise location should have been unveiled by now.

From the point of view of the traditional structure of the games, the Sevii Islands certainly aren't mandatory, but then again, neither is Kanto. Granted, Generation II players would find great fault in the remakes if they didn't include Kanto; however, there is a new generation of players who only know Kanto from FireRed and LeafGreen, and consequently view the Sevii Islands as an integral part of them (they most definitely aren't considered as a region in their own right). I am inclined to think that most of those young players, who constitute the majority, would be disappointed if the Sevii Islands were ignored - especially since this is their last chance to be featured in any game (assuming that we aren't headed down the murky road to seeing remakes of remakes in Generation V).

One thing is certain: Game Freak have had ample time to work the Sevii Islands into the games if they so chose. Should the islands be present, they will have undergone many changes to make them distinct from their former selves. It is naive to think that there would be no point to them simply because they filled Johto's void in a previous generation, as that wouldn't be the case here.

shining-Celebi said:
Contests would add something new to Johto, numbskull.
If Super Contests were simply ported from DPPt, their inclusion in Kanto or Johto wouldn't add anything to Generation IV as a whole. On the other hand, if the FRLG reference to season-themed Contests taking place on Sevii Islands finally turned out to hold merit, that would be a different case.

Last edited:
When I first played GSC I was just shocked at getting Kanto in at all. I never had a problem with the gym leaders being too weak and never saw anything as half-assed. To my eight year old sensibilities I just looked at it with wonderment. I don't think I would change very much at all. Keep Lavender's Radio Tower where it is. Maybe Cinnabar's volcano can be larger, but I think less Stark Mountain than Mt. Chimney.

Should the islands be present, they will have undergone many changes to make them distinct from their former selves. It is naive to think that there would be no point to them simply because they filled Johto's void in a previous generation, as that wouldn't be the case here.

Just out of interest, how do you reckon that Game Freak would go about giving the Sevii Islands a more unique purpose in HeartGold and SoulSilver? Their existence in FR/LG is primarily to give the player more gameplay to put their teeth into than in RBY, but also - as you've rightly acknowledged, to give ready access to missing mechanics that never existed in the main adventure (e.g. breeding, Johto Pokemon, move relearner). While they are certainly interesting and very unique locations in their own right, apart from the likes of the mini-game Game Corner and Move Tutor of Frenzy Plant, Blast Burn and Hydro Cannon, there really isn't much that make the Sevii Islands worthy standalone locations in HG/SS without giving them new purpose.

I'm just curious about how the Islands could be included without being too useless. Maybe by introducing some plots exclusive to them, and letting Hoenn/Sinnoh Pokemon inhabit them? I liked the Lorelei/Icefall Cave, Lostelle and Lady Selphy sidequests in FR/LG, but how could they give the Islands longevity and value here? Surely Johto and Kanto will house enough quests for the player to indulge in.

Just out of interest, how do you reckon that Game Freak would go about giving the Sevii Islands a more unique purpose in HeartGold and SoulSilver? Their existence in FR/LG is primarily to give the player more gameplay to put their teeth into than in RBY, but also - as you've rightly acknowledged, to give ready access to missing mechanics that never existed in the main adventure (e.g. breeding, Johto Pokemon, move relearner). While they are certainly interesting and very unique locations in their own right, apart from the likes of the mini-game Game Corner and Move Tutor of Frenzy Plant, Blast Burn and Hydro Cannon, there really isn't much that make the Sevii Islands worthy standalone locations in HG/SS without giving them new purpose.

I'm just curious about how the Islands could be included without being too useless. Maybe by introducing some plots exclusive to them, and letting Hoenn/Sinnoh Pokemon inhabit them? I liked the Lorelei/Icefall Cave, Lostelle and Lady Selphy sidequests in FR/LG, but how could they give the Islands longevity and value here? Surely Johto and Kanto will house enough quests for the player to indulge in.
Using this logic, that Sevii includes missing mechanics, (Super) Contests, and the Pal Park will be located on the islands.
Then again, those things could be located in Kantou proper.

AS far as what I want in Kantou, I want "MY FUCKING CONTESTS", and more excitement in Neo-Kantou. GSC Kantou was depression hole, it was horrible.

Sevii has no point. See, GF apparently isn't afraid now to add stuff to remakes. So if they want to add contests and all that jazz, then they would.

Now, Sevii would be great for a plot... and maybe a few other things I can't think of. But for now, it's safe to say Sevii just isn't on the map.

You're right. I don't think anyone would be too pissed about having them in the game, it's just what Nintendo can do with them.
Each part of the game plays a certain role, so to speak, but the Seviis don't really have one anymore.

The sad thing is that they could have easily been salvaged with a Battle Tent on each island with a mini-version of Emerald's Battle Frontier, as well as Contest Houses.

- Gym Leaders need improvement. And with that I mean higher levels. Also trainers and wild Pokémon need to be at least level 50-55.

- A volcano at Cinnabar Island would be really cool, with great graphics like Stark Mountain in Platinum (from the outside). On the inside, a dark rocky maze with narrow passages and lava. Strong wild Pokémon (Magmar, Rhydon, Magcargo...) but no trainers. At the end of the maze, a room where Blaine is and he will battle you (see Anime). Blue should also be inside somewhere at a hard-to-find place and go back to Viridian after you've talked to him.

- Viridian Forest at full size or even larger.

- Mount Moon: full size, of course keeping the open place with the shop and dancing Clefairy.

- Victory Road should be longer and should have trainers.

- Trainers in Rock Tunnel.

- As Blaine will be in the Cinnabar Volcano, Seafoam Islands should be at full size with a new maze.

All of this, except the Rock Tunnel (I hate that thing and always will). I'd also add a new dungeon for the Power Plant (I'm still wishing the random grunt stealing the part to be expanded into a full takeover plot, thus turning the PP into a building duingeon, like Silph or Johto's Radio Tower).

Oh, and for plot and continuity sake, although I loved your volcano idea, I'd say that it could be better to find Blue there, as in the opriginals you encounter him when you reach Cinnabar, and keep Blaine for Seafoam, which, as you stated, also needs a full maze again (and, just as in RGBY/FRLG: one island leads you to the other, making sense that you get from one island and then you cross the maze until your each the other island,, where Blaine waits for his badge challenge).

And of course,a reopened Safari Zone for national Pokémon (but keeping it close at the firts time you arrive to Fuschia).

All of this, except the Rock Tunnel (I hate that thing and always will). I'd also add a new dungeon for the Power Plant (I'm still wishing the random grunt stealing the part to be expanded into a full takeover plot, thus turning the PP into a building duingeon, like Silph or Johto's Radio Tower).

Oh, and for plot and continuity sake, although I loved your volcano idea, I'd say that it could be better to find Blue there, as in the opriginals you encounter him when you reach Cinnabar, and keep Blaine for Seafoam, which, as you stated, also needs a full maze again (and, just as in RGBY/FRLG: one island leads you to the other, making sense that you get from one island and then you cross the maze until your each the other island,, where Blaine waits for his badge challenge).

And of course,a reopened Safari Zone for national Pokémon (but keeping it close at the firts time you arrive to Fuschia).

Agree about the Rock Tunnel.
I would love a great bug maze for the Seafoam Islands.
The Kanto Safari Zone has been debated so much! Personally, I'd like a Safari Zone with a Pal Park add-on. But I know that won't happen. :/
If they put all the Kanto Safari Pokemon in the wild, or even in Johto, or Johto's Safari Zone, I'd be happy if it was just a Pal Park.
What I liked about Kan/Johto was that Pokemon that are rare in Kanto are common in Johto, and vice versa. I hope they keep this.

Johto, or Johto's Safari Zone, I'd be happy if it was just a Pal Park.
What I liked about Kan/Johto was that Pokemon that are rare in Kanto are common in Johto, and vice versa. I hope they keep this.

Except Pidgey and Rattata, which are common in both regions o_O

personally i wanted the seviis to house the battle frontier but since thats not happening contest would be nice

Please note: The thread is from 15 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom