• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Kayzie Rogers

That's really sad to hear, though at least she left on her own terms. She's done so much for Pokemon, being there since the very beginning of the dub, and it's not going to be the same show without her.

Sad to see her go, but she had a long run. I believe she, along with Cathcart, Parsons and Ortiz herself, was one of the only voice actors that started in season one and was still on the show.

That is sad to hear. Lisa Ortiz has been involved with the series for many years, even when TPCI took over the dub. I thought that she was still doing some other voices for SM like with Litten. Is she still the voice director or is someone else taking over that position as well?
Kayzie Rogers is retired, not Lisa Ortiz.

How come she was even able to stay the entire time while all the other 4Kids actors couldn't? I always thought she was a traitor for not taking a stand in their honor.

Kayzie Rogers is retired, not Lisa Ortiz.

Oh that makes more sense. I was confused with the wording on the opening post and how that connected to the thread's title. My mistake.

How come she was even able to stay the entire time while all the other 4Kids actors couldn't? I always thought she was a traitor for not taking a stand in their honor.

I don't think she showed up among the voice cast until the Battle Dimensions season. There was a rumor about the contracts among the 4Kids cast that they couldn't appear in the show until two years after TPCI took over, which would fit with Lisa Ortiz and other 4Kids voice actors appearing for minor roles starting around that season if that was true. Granted, I remember the original cast denying that claim about the contract since they were freelance and all TPCI needed to do was to ask them to continue with their roles. The contract claim is dubious at best, but the timing with more 4Kids voice actors returning and even later being part of the main cast is kind of interesting.

Even if she did stay right from when the TPCI dub started, calling her a traitor for not taking a stand in their honor is a bit harsh. I can understand why the original cast didn't want to leave 4Kids like some other 4Kids voice actors did, but I wouldn't call them traitors. They need to pay their bills and the voice acting gigs in New York were already pretty small back then, so I wouldn't hold it against them for jumping ship. I don't think working with TPCI would be akin to crossing the picket line in a Union protest or something like that. I don't think that Lisa Ortiz's work at TPCI against her. I've never heard anything to say otherwise and they did work on the Slayers Revolution/Evolution-R dub a few years after TPCI replaced them too.

I don't think she showed up among the voice cast until the Battle Dimensions season. There was a rumor about the contracts among the 4Kids cast that they couldn't appear in the show until two years after TPCI took over, which would fit with Lisa Ortiz and other 4Kids voice actors appearing for minor roles starting around that season if that was true. Granted, I remember the original cast denying that claim about the contract since they were freelance and all TPCI needed to do was to ask them to continue with their roles. The contract claim is dubious at best, but the timing with more 4Kids voice actors returning and even later being part of the main cast is kind of interesting.

Even if she did stay right from when the TPCI dub started, calling her a traitor for not taking a stand in their honor is a bit harsh. I can understand why the original cast didn't want to leave 4Kids like some other 4Kids voice actors did, but I wouldn't call them traitors. They need to pay their bills and the voice acting gigs in New York were already pretty small back then, so I wouldn't hold it against them for jumping ship.
The thing about the contract issue (imo, excuse) that was brought up at the time is that it doesn't hold up/fails miserably when you consider that current dub James/Meowth/Prof. Oak and Kayzie here got to jump ship despite being on the dub all 8 seasons 4Kids had the rights, yet they were extended an opportunity to jump ship to TPCi/TAJ, and took it, whereas the fact is that Veronica & co. have expressed countless times that they were never given a chance to continue on with the dub themselves and were told straight to their faces "Fans will not care if you recast the show" & by the time they had found out about being replaced, it was too late for them to jump anyway (plus the obvious fact that they were never given the chance to do so in the first place unlike Kayzie & you know who, as those two were also hired on who could best mimic the 4Kids VAs at the time).

I don't buy it primarily for that reason, but also because even during Season 10 under TAJ, David Lapkin returned to the Series, a VA who was involved with the 4Kids dub as well during Season 7. I don't intend to dredge up this issue again, but just trying to say that Veronica & co. were never, ever given a chance to continue with the dub in the first place regardless of the 2 yr. contracts (that again, weren't the reason for them not continuing w/the dub).

I also remember that whole thing about TPCi trying to pass off the characters as getting older so they got deeper voices later on, even though that was untrue, just...ugh, that whole switch thing reopens a lot of wounds, enough said.

You're not alone, buddy. Truth is, I also feel the same about her in this aspect, and about a certain other voice actor who managed to snag some pretty major roles for himself both as a voice actor and essentially got promoted to head (and since Season 9, only) dub script writer during the infamous change (whose name I won't bring up since you all know who I'm referring to), so you're not alone in feeling the way you do.

I'd honestly feel worse about this, if Kayzie didn't get the chance many others did not have extended to them by TAJ and TPCi (then known as PUSA) back in the middle of 2006, and in addition to that, the fact she already retired once before during the second season of the TAJ dub before the change to DuArt when she returned (meaning retired in 2007, came back in 2008).

And the purpose of my post isn't to disrespect Kayzie Rogers in any form, but just to explain how much I agree with Charmander4's sentiment on the matter.

I am still sad for the loss of her work and wish her a happy retirement, she helped establish Wobbuffet's English dub voice for many years and she also had a versatile range of voices, regardless of my opinion on that other subject above.

Last edited:
Oh well it's been a good run. I loved her Wobbuffet voice but with the way the show never ends it was bound to happen eventually. I wish her retirement luck.

Did she do Totodile and Gary's Umbreon?

If so I'll definitely miss those.

I have stopped focusing on actors as of late (I find it more enjoyable if I don't think about who's behind the role when watching) so I'm starting to forget who does who.XD

Oh well it's been a good run. I loved her Wobbuffet voice but with the way the show never ends it was bound to happen eventually. I wish her retirement luck.

Did she do Totodile and Gary's Umbreon?

If so I'll definitely miss those.

I have stopped focusing on actors as of late (I find it more enjoyable if I don't think about who's behind the role when watching) so I'm starting to forget who does who.XD
Yes, she did, and she also did Cyndaquil, Axew, and many other roles.

Can't blame you on that last bit at all, really.

Yes, she did, and she also did Cyndaquil, Axew, and many other roles.

Can't blame you on that last bit at all, really.

So she did Axew aswell. There's another one I liked.

Did she do Cyndaquil in both 4kids and TPCI's dub or just one of the dubs?

Both dubs

Oh wow. She's been doing cyndaquil a long time. I'm going to miss that aswell then.

Interestingly seeing an old actor I grew up with retiring, shows how old the show is. I remember watching Johto as a kid (teen) enjoying her Totodile and Cyndaquil. I feel old.

Last edited:
The thing about the contract issue (imo, excuse) that was brought up at the time is that it doesn't hold up/fails miserably when you consider that current dub James/Meowth/Prof. Oak and Kayzie here got to jump ship despite being on the dub all 8 seasons 4Kids had the rights, yet they were extended an opportunity to jump ship to TPCi/TAJ, and took it, whereas the fact is that Veronica & co. have expressed countless times that they were never given a chance to continue on with the dub themselves and were told straight to their faces "Fans will not care if you recast the show" & by the time they had found out about being replaced, it was too late for them to jump anyway (plus the obvious fact that they were never given the chance to do so in the first place unlike Kayzie & you know who, as those two were also hired on who could best mimic the 4Kids VAs at the time).
Thanks for explanation. But even Maddie herself blabbed that there was some kind of offer that only Rogers and Cathart accepted.
New Voice Actors Discussion (READ FIRST POST BEFORE POSTING)

I don't buy it primarily for that reason, but also because even during Season 10 under TAJ, David Lapkin returned to the Series, a VA who was involved with the 4Kids dub as well during Season 7. I don't intend to dredge up this issue again, but just trying to say that Veronica & co. were never, ever given a chance to continue with the dub in the first place regardless of the 2 yr. contracts (that again, weren't the reason for them not continuing w/the dub).

I also remember that whole thing about TPCi trying to pass off the characters as getting older so they got deeper voices later on, even though that was untrue, just...ugh, that whole switch thing reopens a lot of wounds, enough said.

You're not alone, buddy. Truth is, I also feel the same about her in this aspect, and about a certain other voice actor who managed to snag some pretty major roles for himself both as a voice actor and essentially got promoted to head (and since Season 9, only) dub script writer during the infamous change (whose name I won't bring up since you all know who I'm referring to), so you're not alone in feeling the way you do.

I'd honestly feel worse about this, if Kayzie didn't get the chance many others did not have extended to them by TAJ and TPCi (then known as PUSA) back in the middle of 2006, and in addition to that, the fact she already retired once before during the second season of the TAJ dub before the change to DuArt when she returned (meaning retired in 2007, came back in 2008).

And the purpose of my post isn't to disrespect Kayzie Rogers in any form, but just to explain how much I agree with Charmander4's sentiment on the matter.

I am still sad for the loss of her work and wish her a happy retirement, she helped establish Wobbuffet's English dub voice for many years and she also had a versatile range of voices, regardless of my opinion on that other subject above.
Cathcart cut ties completely with 4Kids when he jumped ship, as shown by him not being cast in any of their future shows and his role of Vector the Crocodile on Sonic being recast.
Rogers, during her brief time on Bulbapedia, claimed she was "not allowed" to work on the show during Season 10, implying it wasn't her decision to leave the TAJ dub. If the two-year contract is true, I'm guessing this was because of 4Kids execs that found out who "Jamie Peacock" was around this time.

Rogers, during her brief time on Bulbapedia, claimed she was "not allowed" to work on the show during Season 10, implying it wasn't her decision to leave the TAJ dub. If the two-year contract is true, I'm guessing this was because of 4Kids execs that found out who "Jamie Peacock" was around this time.
?
I'm not sure what that has to do with anything, no offense.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom