• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Kind of wish the "Scottish Pokemon Trainer" meme didn't happen with Gloria for SwSh.

Gretnablue

Reaction score
Didn't know where to post it but chose here since it is related to Sword and Shield. Most of you are probably familiar with what I am talking about, a meme that started on Scottish Twitter after many noticed Gloria looked very Scottish and was done as a bit self parody and fun... Then non-Scottish people chipped and then flat out took the meme over and it got rather ugly that meme for me because it stopped being tongue and cheek self parody and harmless ribbing and turned into nothing but stereotyping and just foul edginess.

Some of it just across as needlessly nasty like implying Scottish people are all idiots who are unable to understand the concepts of gravity or weight (where did that even come from?!) Always foul mouthed or incapable of being understood, embarrassing to be around, alcoholics etc. But one that really ticked me off and honestly upset me was depicting her as being violent and abusive, especially towards animals which, why? Why do this? Scotland was the first to ban Fox hunting in the UK and most forms of hunting for sport and have tons of preserves and programs to protect many wild animals like the Red Squirrel, it makes no sense and I really don't like the idea of treating abuse like that as a joke or implying that all Scottish people are horrible human beings. The same goes with the violence towards the human characters.

I really hope that now that game is out that those memes just go away, we don't need more stereotyping in the media, especially ones that double down with mocking stuff like animal abuse.

Didn't know where to post it but chose here since it is related to Sword and Shield. Most of you are probably familiar with what I am talking about, a meme that started on Scottish Twitter after many noticed Gloria looked very Scottish and was done as a bit self parody and fun... Then non-Scottish people chipped and then flat out took the meme over and it got rather ugly that meme for me because it stopped being tongue and cheek self parody and harmless ribbing and turned into nothing but stereotyping and just foul edginess.

Some of it just across as needlessly nasty like implying Scottish people are all idiots who are unable to understand the concepts of gravity or weight (where did that even come from?!) Always foul mouthed or incapable of being understood, embarrassing to be around, alcoholics etc. But one that really ticked me off and honestly upset me was depicting her as being violent and abusive, especially towards animals which, why? Why do this? Scotland was the first to ban Fox hunting in the UK and most forms of hunting for sport and have tons of preserves and programs to protect many wild animals like the Red Squirrel, it makes no sense and I really don't like the idea of treating abuse like that as a joke or implying that all Scottish people are horrible human beings. The same goes with the violence towards the human characters.

I really hope that now that game is out that those memes just go away, we don't need more stereotyping in the media, especially ones that double down with mocking stuff like animal abuse.

I agree with you whole heartedly but unfortunately that is just another dark side of the internet and Twitterverse in general. There will sadly never be enough good man/bot power to outweigh the bad.

That's why it's good we have places like this forum to discuss how we feel and why these things sometimes do get out of hand.

The keyboard warriors are the last known destroyers.

implying Scottish people are all idiots who are unable to understand the concepts of gravity or weight (where did that even come from?!)
That one's specifically in reference to this video:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fC2oke5MFg

I'm pretty sure it's not meant to suggest all Scottish people don't understand the concept-the people correcting him are all Scottish, too. It seems to me that they just intended to reference a Scottish comedy show with trainers in the UK.

The rest of this is just indefensible, though. Who the heck decides to portray a child as an alcoholic to reference a negative stereotype and thinks "Hm, yes, this is totally fine." I know I've seen a comic out there with Nessa considering the trainer cute until she speaks, at which point she says "Oh no, she's Scottish." Yeah, go ahead and suggest an entire culture of people are unattractive because you don't like their friggin accent, that's real swell.

That one's specifically in reference to this video:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fC2oke5MFg

I'm pretty sure it's not meant to suggest all Scottish people don't understand the concept-the people correcting him are all Scottish, too. It seems to me that they just intended to reference a Scottish comedy show with trainers in the UK.

The rest of this is just indefensible, though. Who the heck decides to portray a child as an alcoholic to reference a negative stereotype and thinks "Hm, yes, this is totally fine." I know I've seen a comic out there with Nessa considering the trainer cute until she speaks, at which point she says "Oh no, she's Scottish." Yeah, go ahead and suggest an entire culture of people are unattractive because you don't like their friggin accent, that's real swell.

I can get why some people are bothered by it, but honestly I like it. As an Irishman I take pride in some of my own stereotypes even I'm not a drinker.

Besides, Scottish Pokemon Trainer and Galar border patrol served as distractions from the abysmal lead up to these games

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom