• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

HELP: Kingdom Hearts/Legend of Zelda crossover

Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. He/Him
I was originally going to do a Pokemon Crossover, but changed to this. I decided to look at the list of Zelda games on Zelda Wiki under certain criteria:

1: Being able to use the main gameplay mechanic and it not being odd (Oracle of Seasons for example)
2: Having a story that involves an evil that wants to take over/destroy the world

Here are what I have:
Twilight Princess
Link between Worlds
Link to the Past
Majora’s Mask

I just need help picking out the best one. Which one has the a good villain with a 'take over/ destroy the world' plot?
I think Twilight Princess could work. Like I can have Link adventure alone in the Twilight while Sora does his own thing (except when they need to go to the Palace of Twilight.)

Do you mind if I ask for the fic's premise? I'm confused over the concept of a Kingdom Hearts crossover, seeing as Kingdom Hearts already is a massive crossover. And I pity anyone who tries to make sense of Kingdom Heart's canon, let alone write fanfiction.

I can give you a definitive "no" on Link to the Past, though. The game's very mininal in it's story, to the point modern players would call it cliché. The villain gets as much character development as "I'm evil!", for instance.

Based purely on the villain's strength as a character, Twilight Princess ain't a bad choice. Ganon is Ganon because evil, but Zant (40% chance I have the wrong name) is equally disturbing and insane. Arms were not meant to bend that way.

Majora's Mask's villain is also iconic, though I haven't personally played the game and can't attest to their strength. A Link Between Worlds is another that's slipped under my radar, but I've never heard anyone mention the villain.

Do you mind if I ask for the fic's premise? I'm confused over the concept of a Kingdom Hearts crossover, seeing as Kingdom Hearts already is a massive crossover. And I pity anyone who tries to make sense of Kingdom Heart's canon, let alone write fanfiction.

I can give you a definitive "no" on Link to the Past, though. The game's very mininal in it's story, to the point modern players would call it cliché. The villain gets as much character development as "I'm evil!", for instance.

Based purely on the villain's strength as a character, Twilight Princess ain't a bad choice. Ganon is Ganon because evil, but Zant (40% chance I have the wrong name) is equally disturbing and insane. Arms were not meant to bend that way.

Majora's Mask's villain is also iconic, though I haven't personally played the game and can't attest to their strength. A Link Between Worlds is another that's slipped under my radar, but I've never heard anyone mention the villain.
Well the premise is Sora going to the world of the game and pretty much taking part in the game’s story. I do agree with you about Link to the past.

Last edited:
Well the premise is Sora going to the world of the game and pretty much taking part in the game’s story. I do agree with you about Link to the past.
Ah, that solves any lore baggage (unless you want to include any particular elements). Conceptually, it could work!

Knowing this, my final personal recommendation is Twilight Princess. I'm not sure how you plan to structure your story, but the Twilight seems a good opportunity for introducing crossover characters, as you hinted at in your OP. Plus the villain's active against Link (at least through their Twilight monster minions), and the twilight final boss is short but memorable. Ganon's more a blank slate, but the Twilight premise I think makes up for it.

Ah, that solves any lore baggage (unless you want to include any particular elements). Conceptually, it could work!

Knowing this, my final personal recommendation is Twilight Princess. I'm not sure how you plan to structure your story, but the Twilight seems a good opportunity for introducing crossover characters, as you hinted at in your OP. Plus the villain's active against Link (at least through their Twilight monster minions), and the twilight final boss is short but memorable. Ganon's more a blank slate, but the Twilight premise I think makes up for it.
Yeah. And with Sora, I can go into detail about what happens while Link is in the Twilight Zone. Sure I have to modify the dungeons. might as well as remove some dungeon items that are useless (the spinner and the dominion rod).

By the way, what do you mean by lore baggage?

By the way, what do you mean by lore baggage?
Oh, I'm treading on thin ice here. I'm going to choose my words carefully.

Kingdom Hearts lore is deep. Very deep. Bottomless pit deep. And more importantly, it's intertwined. Writing in that world, it's easy to accidentally contradict canon. ("this couldn't happen because X!"). It's as if the Zelda timeline was super-rigid without any alternate timelines, with knowledge of previous games (even side games) needed to understand the world. Which is why I think transplanting a single character to a Zelda game is the safest way to remove this "lore baggage".

Oh, I'm treading on thin ice here. I'm going to choose my words carefully.

Kingdom Hearts lore is deep. Very deep. Bottomless pit deep. And more importantly, it's intertwined. Writing in that world, it's easy to accidentally contradict canon. ("this couldn't happen because X!"). It's as if the Zelda timeline was super-rigid without any alternate timelines, with knowledge of previous games (even side games) needed to understand the world. Which is why I think transplanting a single character to a Zelda game is the safest way to remove this "lore baggage".
I honestly might do Link to the Past instead of Twilight Princess. While you are right that the villain is evil for the sake of evil and has no real backstory, there is room there to expand on that. Same with the overall story.

Edit: I am starting to get ideas for a Twilight Princess/Kingdom Hearts story.
Edit 2: I might to Link to the Past instead actually. That game is a lot less complex.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom