• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Knock-Off Films

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robo-Floatzel

Jacen the Robot Floatzel
Reaction score
Anyone know of knock off films that rip off of real films. You'll see them in supermarkets and toy stores everywhere: the inexpensive DVDs that are clear ripoffs of whatever live action or animated movie has just hit the theaters. You may have even wondered to yourself, "How bad can they really be?" Unsurprisingly, the answer is "pretty bad."

I mean, there are ripoffs of animated films, like "The Little Cars" (Cars) and "Ratatoing" (Ratatouille), and live action ones such as "Transmorphers" (Transformers/Terminator) and the recent "American Warships" (Battleship). What do you think about them? I think they are just bad and a cheap way to make money.

One of the DVDs my mother got from her job at Wal-Mart for free was a rip-off of Madagascar 2; I haven't watched it myself, but I could tell by the cover that it is one. I have no idea why it got the "family approved" mark. Do Phoenix Games count? They're technically not video games at all, merely animated films that ripped off Disney and recycled the same characters and animation.

It probably got the "family approved" mark since they stamp that on all sorts of christain movies. What's the name of it, I need to lol @ it.

Also, I've seen clips of them, usually they are laughably bad. I mean, just look at little cars:

[video=youtube;7tJsAuG2TR8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tJsAuG2TR8[/video]

'nuff said.

One of the DVDs my mother got from her job at Wal-Mart for free was a rip-off of Madagascar 2; I haven't watched it myself, but I could tell by the cover that it is one. I have no idea why it got the "family approved" mark. Do Phoenix Games count? They're technically not video games at all, merely animated films that ripped off Disney and recycled the same characters and animation.

I'm DEFINITELY familiar with Phoenix Games, or more rather, Dingo Pictures, a German animation studio, on Youtube, one comment I read about them was "the animation is crappy, and creepy", cause not only is the animation terrible and off model, but it's far down in the uncanny valley.

It probably got the "family approved" mark since they stamp that on all sorts of christain movies. What's the name of it, I need to lol @ it.

Also, I've seen clips of them, usually they are laughably bad. I mean, just look at little cars:

[video=youtube;7tJsAuG2TR8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tJsAuG2TR8[/video]

'nuff said.

I can agree with you, they just approve them without watching them, and seeing how terrible they are

AAAAAAGGHHHHGGGGHHHHGGGHHHHHH not Dingo Pictures!!!! Although, because they're so horrible, they're interesting to watch because of how train-wrecky their movies are.

Nothing like cacti, Old West saloons, and hyenas in Pocahontas (where she says "Nein, nein!" at one point), and the plague of rats and Zeus in the burning bush in their Prince of Egypt knockoff.

Then there's the nonstop jungle drums in Animal Soccer World with one voice actor playing dozens of characters.

AAAAAAGGHHHHGGGGHHHHGGGHHHHHH not Dingo Pictures!!!! Although, because they're so horrible, they're interesting to watch because of how train-wrecky their movies are.

Nothing like cacti, Old West saloons, and hyenas in Pocahontas (where she says "Nein, nein!" at one point), and the plague of rats and Zeus in the burning bush in their Prince of Egypt knockoff.

Then there's the nonstop jungle drums in Animal Soccer World with one voice actor playing dozens of characters.

They have a Prince of Egypt knockoff? I must see it to torture myself for the lulz.

I've seen a few of their films, though they're fun to make fun of MST3K style, considering their historical, geographical, and sometimes anatomical inaccuracies (for example, a dinosaur with a cats face), it's scary that the people who make these are full grown adults, and clearly forgot what their school teachers told them.

Ratatoing had several Sonic 4kids's voice actors.

How have I never heard of any of these "notorious" knock-offs y'all are referencing? Is this some regional phenomenon? Even in Walmart I've never seen anything like these... :XD:

Anything From video Banqueto (sp?). The Little Princess School is the worst, they show no other dang emotion besides a smile When they talk and even when they are shocked, Mad or Sad.

How have I never heard of any of these "notorious" knock-offs y'all are referencing? Is this some regional phenomenon? Even in Walmart I've never seen anything like these... :XD:

They are basically made so that people mistake them for the real thing, TV Tropes calls them "The Mockbuster", and they are usually made as a quick way to make money, and often, they appear in video rental boxes and video stores, and usually when the real film is in theaters, making them easier to spot.

Also, they're not always animated films, they can be live action too, films from The Asylum in particular is one group that makes these things (and they even admit that they deliberately make them bad)

Anything From video Banqueto (sp?). The Little Princess School is the worst, they show no other dang emotion besides a smile When they talk and even when they are shocked, Mad or Sad.

Video Brinquedo (it's Brazilian), I've seen Ratatoing, and I think half my brain died, Film Brain actually was brave enough to review it.

Also, they're not always animated films, they can be live action too, films from The Asylum in particular is one group that makes these things (and they even admit that they deliberately make them bad)

I like these guys already.

I just watched the review of Ratatoing from the Film Brain, and Ratatoing looks like a terribly animated video game with horrible cutscenes similar to Hotel Mario on the PC or 32x or N64.

I just watched the review of Ratatoing from the Film Brain, and Ratatoing looks like a terribly animated video game with horrible cutscenes similar to Hotel Mario on the PC or 32x or N64.

To me, Video Brinquedo's CGI is bad enough to make the animation of the CDi games look like that of Avatar: The Last Airbender (and you know when I compare it to Avatar, you know it's THAT bad).

Last edited:

To me, Video Brinquedo's CGI is bad enough to make the animation of the CDi games look like that of Avatar: The Last Airbender (and you know when I compare it to Avatar, you know it's THAT bad).

Wait, the show or the movie by M. Night or James Cameron.

Wait, the show or the movie by M. Night or James Cameron.

I think people should know that I'm talking about the Nickelodeon show, Dingo Pictures "animation" is no different, it's among some of the worst animation I have seen.

I think people should know that I'm talking about the Nickelodeon show, Dingo Pictures "animation" is no different, it's among some of the worst animation I have seen.

It had neat animation and art to me. Well, I'm just getting into the show.

The other day at Wal Mart I saw two movies made by the same people who were trying to rip off the Shrek movies. One was called "Donkey" and it looked just like the donkey from Shrek, and the other was called "Puss in Boots" based on the original puss in boots story but looked way to much like the Shrek version.

The other day at Wal Mart I saw two movies made by the same people who were trying to rip off the Shrek movies. One was called "Donkey" and it looked just like the donkey from Shrek, and the other was called "Puss in Boots" based on the original puss in boots story but looked way to much like the Shrek version.

I always see the Puss in Boots knockoff film used in Netflix's advertisements.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom