• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Koharu and Gou’s development

coldnoodles

Reaction score
In the Koharu-focused episode 11, we had a discussion between her and her mom, with Koharu saying that she’s tired of people assuming that she loves Pokémon and must have lots of them just because she’s professor Sakuragi’s daughter. So, I was thinking, what do you think will be her development? Do you think we’ll see her obtaining a goal later on?

And Gou. As of the moment, Gou’s objective is to catch every single Pokémon to then catch Mew, but do you think eventually he’ll start to focus on improving his battle skills and maybe even challenge Gyms together with Ash?

Please remember to be respectful of other users’ opinions and theories.

Last edited:
Koharu is not a main character, so she probably won't get anything too major

And I don't see Go's goal changing; the idea seems to be have one protagonist focused on battling (Ash) and one focused on catching (Go)

I hope she becomes one soon. The lack of a female main character isn't doing a lot towards making this series for everyone if there's no protagonist for the girl viewers to relate to.
I think at a later point they'll form a trio where Satoshi is a trainer, Go is a collector and Kohru is a brain person taking important decisions, more like Armen from Attack on Titan

(THIS IS SPECULATION)

Gou mentioned she wasn't always "cold" to Pokemon in the past. We see an illustration of a younger version of her with "wild" hair happily hugging Yamper on her mother's tablet in Episode 11, so we know she wasn't always like that. Going along with the expectations of loving Pokemon because of her father's work, maybe they had an opposite effect and soured her opinion of them (from loving to neutral/apathetic) instead?

I guess a possible plotline for her would be to start appreciating Pokemon for what they are and to stop associating them with expectations on her? Not entirely sure how the writers will manage to make it such that she can start liking them again and not make it look like she's submitting to those expectations or something.

The first thing that needs to happen is Koharu leaving Vermillion City (getting her out of that environment) and travelling with Ash and Gou somewhere. The biggest obstacle for that is school, so this would need to occur when they're out on break/vacation. When "summer vacation" rolls around, she can become a more permanent fixture in their travels.

As for group dynamics, I think she'll be the planner to keep things in line and make sure they don't get sidetracked from whatever assignment Professor Sakuragi has for them. Ash and Gou are pretty excitable and are likely to get lost or go on tangents (by Pokemon) in their travels, so having someone on the team focused on the task at hand will help. She'll get her moments when Ash/Gou need to reign her in, too.

Koharu's story could be a simple one of rising above expectations and doing things because she wants to do it, not because others expect her to do it. At the moment, she is allowing those expectations to alter her attitude. She's gone "cold" on Pokemon because she wants to distance herself from these expectations of following in her dad's footsteps, but there has to be a point where she realises she's denying a big part of herself. Just as her mother never let go of her love of drawing despite the setbacks she had, Koharu will likely have a moment where she finds something she's passionate about and won't want to let go, regardless of what others think about her. The most important thing is that it'll be something she chooses for herself. You can imagine Ash and Gou trying to push her towards their respective career paths, and her resisting both of them. However, their dedication and passion for their goals can be inspirations for her.

what if Go goes berserk while pursuing Mew and attempts to merge his caught pokemon or something of that sort to achieve the omnigenetic pokemon? xD

That wouldn't fit the series whatsoever? I doubt they'll let one of their co-protagonists do something beyond the moral event horizon that makes him completely irredeemable...

I would like Koharu’s endgame to be somewhat like that doctor back in OS: knowledgeable and competent when it comes to pokemon, but with a career that isn’t dependent on them (that guy was probably a serial killer, but the point stands). It would be a nice change of pace considering both Ash and Go’s goals revolve entirely around the critters.

I would like Koharu’s endgame to be somewhat like that doctor back in OS: knowledgeable and competent when it comes to pokemon, but with a career that isn’t dependent on them (that guy was probably a serial killer, but the point stands). It would be a nice change of pace considering both Ash and Go’s goals revolve entirely around the critters.
Perhaps she could have a goal that basically merges aspects of both of her parents. Maybe making a book about Pokémon.

Perhaps she could have a goal that basically merges aspects of both of her parents. Maybe making a book about Pokémon.

When you talk about a book about Pokemon, do you mean like a story or a collection of tales? She'll have plenty of material in that case.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom