• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Koharu is robbed

marshiyanmisuta

マーシャンミスター
Reaction score
Seriously... If they were planning to have female main character, they should use Koharu instead, as she's been the perfect candidate because her whole character is about what she choose to do in her life. It would also work as a bridge that connects the old and the new shows.

Chloe had so much potential but she was wasted.

Maybe she could have picked a Starter earlier on in the series, joined Ash and Goh more on their journeys and tried battling Pokemon more, she rarely battled with Eevee

I'm honestly, to the best of my ability not sure why anyone would expect Chloe to be a part of this series. It’s clearly a new thing separate from Ash's show, irrespective of whether or not it’s in the same universe. It’s meant to be a fresh start away from Ash's story, and of course that includes his side characters. Specially because she’s so terribly mishandled in her own saga, they couldn’t even properly commit to her as the main character.

It would also work as a bridge that connects the old and the new shows.
Except, for now, the thing they want is no bridges so far. That’s the entire point of having a new show without Ash as the protagonist, trying something new free of the previous baggage, specially when said baggage includes characters the writing team created and turned into a cute background prop when they had no idea what to do with her. Honestly, if Chloe were the protagonist, it would raise more questions than it would answer for me, and the audience.

Why would Chloe even be expected to be a main character in this? How is she robbed? They could literally make a character have an identical personality as Chloe as their MC and be better off in terms of storytelling potential and timelines than using Chloe herself.

Not directly related to the reason I started this thread, but still relevant to the thread name:
Dephender said:
Other way around, it was mentioned in an interview that the initial idea was to have the series star Satoshi, Go and Koharu as the same kind of three-man band earlier series had, but that Koharu got phased out to make Satoshi and Go "dual protagonists" instead.

I do agree Koharu was robbed; she was severely underutilized by Journeys despite being a pretty interesting character. But I don't think her lack of inclusion in PM23 is what robbed her; Journeys robbed her of the spotlight she should've gotten in that series and now it's too late because her series is up, just like every companion's usually is at the end of their series (not that she was treated as a proper companion). Even when it was assumed that Ash would stick around I don't think most people were really expecting the JN characters to stay for the next series.

To be honest I didn't get why Koharu was popular in the first place. Sure, she was the sole female character with a little bit of importance but her sex alone can't be the only reason why people wanted her to have a bigger role, right?
I found her pretty boring and unenthusiastic. And I really don't want to see her again in the next series (which seemed never to be an option anyway, for obvious reasons).

To be honest I didn't get why Koharu was popular in the first place. Sure, she was the sole female character with a little bit of importance but her sex alone can't be the only reason why people wanted her to have a bigger role, right?
I found her pretty boring and unenthusiastic. And I really don't want to see her again in the next series (which seemed never to be an option anyway, for obvious reasons).
She balanced out Ash and Goh, her being more of a grounded and reserved character would've worked well with their dynamic if she was actually part of the group more than once in a blue moon, and her goal of self-discovery seemed like an interesting concept. At least that's my take on her.

Maybe they could have tried to spice up her goal a little. How about making her goal catching all of Eevee's evolutions instead? Not a fan of Eevee advertisement but at least that would have been an actual goal. They could have given each Eevee a distinct personality and had them all interact with each other, perhaps using their strength and weaknesses to solve some problems in the episodes.

Having her goal be "catch all of X Pokemon" would just be derivative of Goh's, and we already have Horace for that. Plus, Journeys is already bad enough at giving screentime to certain Pokemon/having the Pokemon who show up a lot get anything to do (coughGrookeycough). It didn't need eight more Pokemon to neglect.

Last edited:
Not directly related to the reason I started this thread, but still relevant to the thread name:
That makes more sense now. It felt Koharu/Chloe was meant to be consider a 'main character' with Goh and Ash, but then during planning they choose to go with the dual protagnoist route and Koharu/Chloe went more to the secondary role (at least in the early episodes)

Where did that quote come from again? It sounds familiar, but I can't place where it's from. It would explain quite a bit about how Chloe felt pretty neglected if the decision to make the series more about just Ash and Goh was decided late in development.

Maybe they could have tried to spice up her goal a little. How about making her goal catching all of Eevee's evolutions instead? Not a fan of Eevee advertisement but at least that would have been an actual goal. They could have given each Eevee a distinct personality and had them all interact with each other, perhaps using their strength and weaknesses to solve some problems in the episodes.
As much as I wish Chloe had captured more Pokemon, I think having her catch every Eevee evolution would have been overkill. Most of her focus episodes were already about her and Eevee meeting up with other trainers with Eevee's evolutions. Having her want to capture all of them on top of that would have really hammered the notion of Chloe being around just for Eevee evolution even more. Given how Journeys had an issue with showcasing Pokemon and giving them screentime, even with Ash's Pokemon, I think giving Chloe eight more Pokemon would have just led to them being ignored rather than making better use of them or giving them more distinct personalities. Plus, wanting to capture eight Pokemon doesn't really seem like much of an impressive goal compared to something like Goh wanting to capture every Pokemon.

As for the thread's title itself, I disagree that she could have been used as the new lead in the next series. If they weren't interested in making Chloe a proper main character in Journeys, let alone actually having her own goal, they weren't going to make her the new lead in the following series. I do think she was robbed of being a main character in Journeys. She really should have joined the main cast and explored more of the world once she officially became a trainer at least. I can kind of see why they wanted to focus on just the Eevee evolutions for her when trying to figure out what path Eevee wanted to take with its evolution matched with her not being sure about what path to take with Pokemon as well. But at the same time, it just limited how much they could do with Chloe and they didn't really seem interested in actually giving her a goal by a certain point.

That makes more sense now. It felt Koharu/Chloe was meant to be consider a 'main character' with Goh and Ash, but then during planning they choose to go with the dual protagnoist route and Koharu/Chloe went more to the secondary role (at least in the early episodes)
From what I heard, that is exactly what happened.

How about making her goal catching all of Eevee's evolutions instead?
Her relationship with Eevee is supposed to represent the different possible paths her future holds for her, just like Eevee's own possible evolutionary paths.
Where did that quote come from again?
Adamant/Dephender is the source. He written it on Serebii forums. According to what he said, it comes from an interview with showrunners.
If they weren't interested in making Chloe a proper main character in Journeys, let alone actually having her own goal, they weren't going to make her the new lead in the following series.
Well, the new quote confirms that they underused her only because they wanted the show to be about Satoshi/Gou bromance. This won't be the case anymore.

Adamant/Dephender is the source. He written it on Serebii forums. According to what he said, it comes from an interview with showrunners.
I thought it might have been from an older interview or something that would have been on Dogasu's website instead of more recent. That is a bit surprising, but I don't know if anything else from that interview stood out.

Well, the new quote confirms that they underused her only because they wanted the show to be about Satoshi/Gou bromance. This won't be the case anymore.
Even with that in mind, I don't think that they'd suddenly shift gears and make Chloe the new lead of the next series. Chloe still didn't even have a goal by the end of the series. She was still tied to the marketing around Journeys. Not nearly as much as Ash and Goh were obviously, but she would be included in official artwork from time to time. If they wanted to have a clean slate for the next series, having brand new characters with brand new Pokemon would make more sense than having Chloe and Eevee being the new leads, especially if they do plan on having new leads with new starter Pokemon going forward too.

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom