• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Music Korean Music

Status
Not open for further replies.

proserpina

Fairy Queen
Reaction score
And so the hallyu finds a home here~
Here is the little corner of Bulbagarden where we can discuss, share and welcome others into the world of Korean music. I'm sure plenty of us are more than just aware of things like Girls' Generation/SNSD’s Gee and PSY’s Gangnam Style making international waves, but I’d like to think we can share a little more of what South Korea has to offer.
To get the ball rolling, here are some fine examples of some of my personal favourites - but of course, there's plenty more to Korean music than just these kinds of songs!

Brown Eyed Girls - Sixth Sense
EXO-K - Mama
SHINee - Sherlock (Clue+Note)
BoA - Hurricane Venus
Clazziquai Project - PING
2NE1 - I Love You
BIGBANG - Blue
Epik High - Run
f(x) - Electric Shock
miss A - Breathe
KARA - Lupin
After School - Shampoo
CNBLUE - I'm a Loner
Super Junior - Bonamana

For me, my favourite group is SHINee. I have been following them since 2009 when they debuted for the second time with Juliette. Key is my bias but I love them all and I respect a lot of other artists, especially 2NE1, EXO and Brown Eyed Girls. What I love about a lot of them is that they are quite often hugely skilled - in fact, one could argue that your average Korean performer boasts a wider range of honed talents than your average Western one, certainly within the more "mainstream" pop genres. Korean artists are typically “triple threats” – dancing, singing and acting professionally to a respectable if not impressive standard even live, often capable of other things either alongside or instead of these, presenting, rapping and modelling being just a few.

So, what do you like about K-music, if anything?

Okay now that I've listened to every song on that list.....what I utterly love is the vocals. :D Some of these groups just have vocals that utterly astound me, and blow me away. Another thing would be live performances, they're just sooo well done and mesmerizing to watch. <3

As for favorites 2NE1, Brown Eyed Girls, and BIGBANG that make up my top 3. And as for songs I can never get sick of I have:
- I Love You - 2NE1
- I Am The Best - 2NE1
- Scream - 2NE1
- My Style - Brown Eyed Girls
- Abracadabra - Brown Eyed Girls
- Monster - BIGBANG
- Fantastic Baby - BIGBANG

Though it's cause of your influence @Kaori; that I've become such a huge fan. :'D

Mesmerising has to be the word, I think. I don't know why it's such a surprise since really all respected performers should be able to do it, but replicating what they market themselves as able to do even in person is always something that has me in awe and lots of Korean artists do it consistently.

2NE1's I Am The Best has got to be my no.1 swag song. xD I put it on before I have to do any performances or exams.

I apologise for nothing, good luck not sinking hours on watching lives/tv appearances if you really get attached to anybody

Seriously the vocals stun me at times, the songs are catchy, and I honestly can't believe some of the ages of these groups. Oh and something else I forgot to mention is I like the use of other languages. Like in 2NE1's songs, and Brown Eyed Girls Sixth Sense with the random "Gracias" the pronunciation is usually well done in their songs from what I've noticed and I just like hearing variety I guess you can say. :p

And as for 2NE1's I Am The Best for I like it for similar reasons myself, when I'm down or lack spirit (which is close to never cause I'm optimistic as hell) it just pumps me up. x)

The only Korean artist I listen to is Younha. She is lovely. :3 The thing is... although she is Korean, she sings mostly in Japanese. xD

[video=youtube;8wq7h-CsVlg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wq7h-CsVlg[/video]

I listen to K-Pop. Some of it is so beautiful.
I'll generally listen to anyone unlike some people who will only listen to the boy groups. Also, I love watching the music videos for them because they are interesting.
I love this music video. I'll spoiler it.
[video=youtube;B_3GgvcE48Y]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_3GgvcE48Y[/video]

I listen to K-Pop. Some of it is so beautiful.
I'll generally listen to anyone unlike some people who will only listen to the boy groups. Also, I love watching the music videos for them because they are interesting.
I love this music video. I'll spoiler it.
[video=youtube;B_3GgvcE48Y]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_3GgvcE48Y[/video]

Ahh, I adore that song, I know it will be stuck in my head all evening again. It sounds so cheerful and the video is adorable and homely.

I knew there had to be some others who listened to Korean artists around. x) They're so underrated, I think!

K-Pop is great to dance to, especially with friends. The beats are awesome. :D
I really like Big Bang, 2NE1, SNSD, f(x), SHINee, SuJu, and BoA. :D

im sure thread necromancy is illegal but

Korean music is very energetic and lively! It's a plus to dance them! I would like to dance Growl and/or Overdose sometime. If I can xD

My favorite groups are EXO (not too obvious, eh?), SHINee, SNSD, Big Bang, 2NE1, and B2ST. And maybe Super Junior and f(x) too.

Which leads to my favorite songs: Wolf (as of the moment), Dazzling Girl, Mr. Mr., Bad Boy, Come Back Home (whether original or unplugged), and Shock. And Bonamana and Electric Shock.

totally not regretting thread necromancy

Nah, the trick is to post pictures of SHINee's Key and @Kaori; will love you forever. But really, it's fine necromancy is allowed in the section.

I definitely agree that Korean music is lively though. Lately some of my favorites are Happy, Gotta Be You, Falling In Love, for 2NE1's work. But the song that's been stuck in my head lately is BEG's Kill Bill.

Oh and BEG Miryo's cover of Let It Go. It's just beautiful. :')

Nah, the trick is to post pictures of SHINee's Key and @Kaori; will love you forever. But really, it's fine necromancy is allowed in the section.

you mean this?

Btd058pCMAAEELe.jpg:large

Even if I like to stay with the livelier music, I have my own favorites in the ballad/quieter sections like Oasis (B2ST), Missing You (2NE1) and What is Love (EXO).

I've been trying to get into Korea's experimental scene. There's a few I know of (Choi Joonyong, Okkyung Lee) and some whose names elude me (like one who makes music using only typewriters, it seems that can be done) but it seems worth looking around for. If China, Japan and Malaysia can yield a few gems (Pairs, too many to list, and Jerk Kerouac respectively) then surely there's somebody in Korea doing something worth listening.

I have seen three K-Pop videos on YouTube: Gangnam Style by PSY (which spent a couple of weeks at number 1 here in Australia) as well as Gentleman again by PSY and Gee by Girls' Generation. I went to the Korea Festival at Federation Square here in Melbourne earlier this year, but I didn't stay around for the singing competition. But there was a video message from Girls' Generation on the screen at the festival.

Last edited:
Oh my goodness. I almost forgot this thread existed.

I listen to a variety of K-Pop bands like EXO, SHINee, Boyfriend, B1A4, U-KISS, G-Dragon, Big Bang, etc.

I recommend listening to:
I think I've listed more than enough recommendations. There are so many great K-Pop songs. @.@

I also recommend listening to K-Pop while working out since it boosts my morale.

Since Bulbagarden has a one video per post limit, I'll post this MV since it's interesting.
[video=youtube;5HwjMySsKJA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HwjMySsKJA&list=LLS97wskd_dMf0Zuc8MrO-Cg&index=13[/video]

This thread. My people. ;u;

Anyway, my favorite groups are EXO, Bangtan Boys, GOT7, Super Junior, SHINee, U-KISS, Girls' Generation, 2NE1, f(x) and SPICA. I also like solo artists, like Leehi and Ailee. I'm familiar with other artists, like Block B and Teen Top but I don't really listen to any of their music.

I'm always looking for new songs and groups to listen to~ K-Pop is one of the few genres I get excited about music for. xD

...aaand Lu Han is officially out of EXO.

And in case you haven't heard, Jessica is also out of Girl's Generation/SNSD.

EDIT: EXO has another comeback on October 25

Last edited:
I have no clue what SM's deal is, but they need to chill, lol. EXO didn't have time to get over Kris leaving and now they won't have time to deal to deal with Luhan's departure. EXO has been working all this year and last year. They need time to rest and reflect on things. You can kinda see why Kris and Luhan wanted out, because this is just too much.

EXO has been working all this year and last year. They need time to rest and reflect on things. You can kinda see why Kris and Luhan wanted out, because this is just too much.
Yeah, I wish that the working conditions of the Korean entertainment industry were better.

The worst that I know of is that TVXQ! started out with a handful of guys and over the years, they're now down to two members.

EXO has been working all this year and last year. They need time to rest and reflect on things. You can kinda see why Kris and Luhan wanted out, because this is just too much.
Yeah, I wish that the working conditions of the Korean entertainment industry were better.

The worst that I know of is that TVXQ! started out with a handful of guys and over the years, they're now down to two members.

I have no clue what SM's deal is, but they need to chill, lol. EXO didn't have time to get over Kris leaving and now they won't have time to deal to deal with Luhan's departure. EXO has been working all this year and last year. They need time to rest and reflect on things. You can kinda see why Kris and Luhan wanted out, because this is just too much.

I do agree with these. The Korean entertainment industry can be "cruel" to their artists, but EXO seems to get the harshest treatments. Two comebacks in one year? That's too much. Hopefully the comeback is just a rumor (maybe it IS a rumor).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom