• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Kosaku's Pocket Monsters manga

Blockhead Pippi

North America's only Pippi fan
Reaction score
Since no one else is going to make a thread about this manga...

I'm one of the few western people in the world who happens to really like Kosaku Anakubo's Pokemon Pocket Monsters manga, or at least the looks of it. Unlike the more popular and famed series such as Special, Pocket Monsters is vastly different being chiefly a gag manga that follows the never ending journeys of Isamu Akai and his idiotic, rude Clefairy, more capable Pikachu, and for a time, his Tyrogue as well.

Basically, this series: Pokémon Pocket Monsters - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia

Pocket Monsters, in my opinion, is genius. I love gag manga, even the ones that are profane since I personally find profanity to be hilarious, and I especially love how Kosaku had interpreted the Pokemon differently in his drawings. Even Rattata looking like a generic cartoon mouse is amusing to me.

I can't say however that I really like the newer series of the manga though, especially starting with the RSE series. The Pokemon were then depicted a little more "official", probably to appeal to more audiences, and the art style overall seems quite different. Clefairy looks different and more "square'ish", and Pikachu looks like... Pikachu. I definitely prefer the older art style of the manga's Gen I days.

Unfortunately, as much as I like to call myself a 'fan' of the manga, I have not read a single page of it, but if I had a chance, then yes I definitely would. Unfortunately my household doesn't like the idea of online ordering, so it's not like I can purchase the English editions from Singapore, and I also wouldn't want the series to be licensed for North American release because then the manga would be butchered by edits and censors. But at least I can admire the series for what it is and how different it is compared to other Pokemon manga.

Anyway, this thread is for discussion of the awesomely amazing Pocket Monsters manga, whether you love it or hate it (which I'm sure applies to the majority of fans). Discuss~

A few things:

1) We tried to have review threads for Pocket Monsters like we do for every other series, but the lack of replies told us that nobody's really interested.

2) Red got a Robushin in the BW chapters.

3) Red is referred to as "Isamu Akai" in exactly one panel in the series' entire 15+ year run. The other 99.9999% of the time, he's referred to as Red (レッド). I've brought this up to Bulbapedia's attention before and was told that they agree that it should be changed, but nothing's come of that.

Heh... I've never read this manga (does it even exist in english anywhere?), but I have to say it does look incredibly amusing...

A few things:

1) We tried to have review threads for Pocket Monsters like we do for every other series, but the lack of replies told us that nobody's really interested.

2) Red got a Robushin in the BW chapters.

3) Red is referred to as "Isamu Akai" in exactly one panel in the series' entire 15+ year run. The other 99.9999% of the time, he's referred to as Red (レッド). I've brought this up to Bulbapedia's attention before and was told that they agree that it should be changed, but nothing's come of that.

1. The review threads I didn't know about. I saw that someone made a thread for the Electric Tale of Pikachu manga, so I figured I would do the same for this manga series.

2. I know about Conkeldurr. Tyrogue just seemed more worth mentioning to me considering how long he's been in Red's team. But I still know about Conkeldurr.

3. Read my response about that in Bulbapedia's suggestion thread. Either way, I still refer to him as Isamu Akai, mostly so that people will not confuse him with the other Reds from the franchise. And yes, that also means I won't be changing my username either. :p

This is just a discussion thread for the series as a whole, so. :/

@YamiiDenryuu: It does have English editions, they were published by Chuang Yi in Singapore.

I like this series, second to Adventure, and this series is translated into Indonesian (only the G 1 though)
you know how Giovanni have a brother?
Do you know how the Elite 4 does in this series?
this series is F*CKING AWESOME!

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom