• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Kotaku calls original Gen 3 games "one of the worst" ...thoughts?

Batbloodx

Stranger than you dreamt
Reaction score
I know I speak for more than myself when I say that generation 3 is one of the most beloved games in the Pokemon franchise for fans; so much so that the desire to see it get remade has been discussed here for years... so how do you feel about this author throwing out such a claim?

You can find the article here.

What do you think?

Does it matter? The author is entitled to her opinion. This thread is just asking for comparisons between the different generations, and that never goes well.

I don't think it matters at all. Most people have their opinions about what they like and don't and they have a right to talk about it. I personally found A Link To the Past to be a really sub par Zelda game but others call it the best in the series. The same goes for Gen 3 Pokemon. With every person raving about perfection, there is another person on the other end who finds what others loved to be completely flawed. That's okay. Games should elicit these feelings because that means that there is a game for everyone. If every game was the same, that would just be boring and polarizing.

Eh. People have different opinions. I love Gen 3 to no end, but hey, someone will eventually disagree.

It's just his/her opinion and everybody is entitled to one, But still, saying it's the worst is rather harsh, Gen 1 is my least favourite Gen of all, but i don't say it's the worst.

Every generation has its faults and its merits. Gen. 3 brought a pretty new battle screen and technicolor environments. But at the same time... it really did piss off a lot of fans. I was too young to realize that you couldn't trade with the Johto games (I had no one to trade with anyway...) so I played them and I'm neutral towards them. Actually when I rank my favorite games from 1st to 6th, 3rd Gen. usually fluctuates between 3rd and 4th place. I love Kanto (mostly FR/LG, which I consider 3rd Gen. instead of 1st Gen. like some do) but I rank 1st Gen. Kanto as dead last. And it was the first game I played.

It all depends on your perspective. For example, while I consider R/S/E/FR/LG as 3rd Gen. (and rank them near the middle of my list), I'm going to consider OR/AS as 6th Gen. along with X/Y, and that means they'll be in about 2nd place on my list. (4th Gen. is 1st, and 6th Gen is 2nd)

Everyone has an opinion, and mine is that her opinion is wrong.

Having played Pokemon since the very beginning, I'll have to say I can't disagree. It's not to say that R/S/E were bad by any means, but they were very underwhelming compared to Generation II, and the generations following.

Saying R/S are the worst Pokemon games is sort of like saying Joe Namath is the worst quarterback in the Pro Football Hall of Fame. It may be true, but they were still great games.

People have opinions, often influenced by when they got into the games. Gen 3 does have a core element who dislike it (often overlapping with genwunners) because it cut ties to gen 2. Personally, I think this makes it the generation with the biggest improvement over the previous.

Whenever someone tells me that, I jokingly say, "Ruby and Sapphire were the best-selling games for the GBA."

Your move, naysayers. ;P

It's really a matter of personal opinion... for me, gens 2/4/5 were the best thanks to their plot/characters (and for gens 2/4 I think these had my favorite pkmn too)
gens 1/3/6 were very lacking in that department, although they were innovative in their own ways and (except for 1 who started everything) introduced much needed upgradres to the series

Opinions don't belong in fucking news article it's stupid click bait. Kotaku sucks donkey dick but what else is new. Yes Gen 3 is a little over loved and in terms of the campaign and postgame is a lacking. HOWEVER like Balrog the Master said they didn't specify main series so freaking Pokemon Dash, Pokemon Channel, hey you Pikachu, Mystery Dungeon Gti, etc etc etc. Okay it was opinion piece but it was called a "story". Oh yeah Kotaku is a branch of Gawker so... proofish that they suck.

It's Kotaku. They're hunting for views, nothing more.

As others said, it's her opinion. They just made a news article about it to make people click.

Kotaku has no credibility. They make money from your clicks so please don't go there unless you have adblock.

Kotaku has no credibility. They make money from your clicks so please don't go there unless you have adblock.

True. I've seen them post many favourable reviews on bad things and negative reviews of good things.

Opinions don't belong in fucking news article it's stupid click bait. Kotaku sucks donkey dick but what else is new. Yes Gen 3 is a little over loved and in terms of the campaign and postgame is a lacking. HOWEVER like Balrog the Master said they didn't specify main series so freaking Pokemon Dash, Pokemon Channel, hey you Pikachu, Mystery Dungeon Gti, etc etc etc. Okay it was opinion piece but it was called a "story". Oh yeah Kotaku is a branch of Gawker so... proofish that they suck.

Too many sites use this philosophy these days. It's saddening.

lol what do you guys expect from a Gawker subsidiary. They hire hack writers like Patricia Hernandez and Hamilton Nolan because people love to hate them (and thus read their stories and comment. and with clicks come ad revenue, who cares if people think they suck because their bosses sure don't).

The real gold on the Gawker sites is io9, lifehacker, gizmodo and some of the subdomains (foodspin is pretty great). And the comments sections. And this comes from someone who reads a lot of the Gawker sites religiously.

That being said, on her opinion on Gen III, anyone who's read my blog or talked to me knows that I don't have the highest opinion on Gen III. The constant surfing (and how that really slows down the gameplay...) wore on me. But if they fix that problem (which they seem to be aware of given changes to later gens), I am excited for the remakes. Even if I was wrong on my prediction of a kanto re-remake before a hoenn remake.

The third gen was to me a little.....meh. Just simply because of the lack of communication with the third 2 gens. The graphics were good but the plot was a little lacking to me. Hoenn itself was annoying because of all the freaking water, it was too much and the diving feature was useless. The Pokemon themselves were Ok too but lacking from what came before.

The writer is a person, one person that has about as much influence as any other person.

For me Gen 2 was 1st, Gen 1/5 was 2nd, Gen 3 was 3rd along with 6 and Gen 4 dead last.

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom