• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Lack of fillers in 'Best Wishes'?

BW has had 3 fillers so far. Claiming BW21 is important is ridiculous, you could skip the ep entirely and you wouldn't miss anything important. Ash rotated Pokemon off-screen before as well.

I think people are just trying to pass everything off as non-filler because they're worried that BW is going to turn into the Johto saga due to Iris not having an active goal.

@DracoMan But that time will clearly be less than with Johto, Hoenn or Sinnoh, considering that Ash got two Unova badges in about the time it took him to get one OH MY GOD THAT IS HILARIOUS. You actually think you know how long the region will last. Well since you got the answers to everything what was with the big gap between the Sunyshore and Candice's Gyms? A whole year :/ Or the short gap between the Canalava and Hearthome gyms? Or the Huge Gap between the Eterna and Veilstone gyms? You do know the writers are writing this saga as things go along right?

@Braviary Doesn't matter if it's in the game and it appears in the anime it aint a filler. Game Event=Cartoon Event-Not a filler. I don't care how you slice it when it comes down to it fillers just some anime fan term. There all just episodes :/ The Pure Event of the Bridge just "showing up" makes it not a filler the bridge debuts. We don't know if it'll be referred back to or not it's not a filler since it debuts the bridge.

@Gliscor'd Ummmm no one said the ep was important in the end definitions of "important" are different between the target audience and a grown adult but back on topic. The bridge is in the game and it debuted in the anime it's not a filler just for that pure reason. It doesn't matter if the episode was enjoyable for anyone or not or if you see the events in it being boring.

Dude I never got that vibe from anyone on here. You really gotta control that Misty/Kasumi hate :p Since when did Filler mean bad, I like fillers with a good plot :p

BW has had 3 fillers so far.
Uh, this and 008 are the only ones I can think of
I think people are just trying to pass everything off as non-filler because they're worried that BW is going to turn into the Johto saga due to Iris not having an active goal.
If BW was going to turn into the Johto saga, it definitely wouldn't be because of Iris. That's like the last reason why that would happen.

And remember guys, filler is not bad (unless you start complaining about it). Filler influx is bad.

@DracoMan But that time will clearly be less than with Johto, Hoenn or Sinnoh, considering that Ash got two Unova badges in about the time it took him to get one OH MY GOD THAT IS HILARIOUS. You actually think you know how long the region will last. Well since you got the answers to everything what was with the big gap between the Sunyshore and Candice's Gyms? A whole year :/ Or the short gap between the Canalava and Hearthome gyms? Or the Huge Gap between the Eterna and Veilstone gyms? You do know the writers are writing this saga as things go along right?

As a matter of fact, I do. And no, I don't have all the answers, but I can still make an inference based on how things are going, and I predict that this journey will last no more than two seasons. Any more would require the writers to drag things out to an almost unimaginable degree.

So I guess if Ash transfers Pidove for Charizard the episode is still a filler?

Last edited:
I sort of gave up on BW after 008, but I did notice within those episodes that they really had a habit of "cheating" - that is to say, they add in one important scene in the entire episode, often not even a very lengthy scene, and the rest of it is the dullest filler this side of Johto. That's how BW003 and 004 were for me. This was already pointed out here if I recall right, so yeah. Despite having very few complete fillers and the series in general going at a faster pace than previous ones, BW to me still feels very filler-y.

In all good conscience I can't pick on BW solely for this, because DP also did a bit of cheating in a few episodes that would've been complete and total pointless filler if they didn't contain one significant scene to aid continuity later. First one that comes to mind is Piplup, Up, and Away!... actually, a lot of the Piplup-centered episodes came off as 99% filler to me. But then it learns a new move, it sticks, and magically the episode becomes relevant no matter how stupid and pointless the rest of it was. Then again, DP also had episodes that were legitimately total filler, yet they remained very fun and entertaining episodes. It's been too long since I watched AG or the original series for me to point out any episodes that were pseudo non-fillers, but I'm sure some are in there as well.

I think my main beef with BW is that it feels like it took forever to really take off, hence why I lost my patience with it after the eighth episode. Despite Ash catching Pokemon left and right and getting a couple of badges, I have this sense that nothing else is really going on. Well, there's the Rocket stuff, but the ultra-serious revamp of the trio is boring me just as much as AG's take on Team Aqua/Magma. And I'll probably get jumped for saying this, but not immediately giving Cilan and Iris some long-term goals or even reasons to travel with Ash made them practically nonexistant in the amount of episodes I watched, beyond Iris getting Misty 2.0 traits (which was another turn-off for me).

Guess I was too used to how they handled the supporting cast in the previous series, where the previous two girls immediately had reasons for following Ash and had tangible long-term goals. And of course we all knew what Brock was there for. There's a lot of new stuff to get used to in BW, and not everything was established from the get-go. I suppose that's how this series seems to "drag" more for me than the others despite having much less "filler" in it... if that makes sense at all.

^ To be honest, I agree. I like Iris/Dento and everything, but it feels like this saga is taking awhile to really feel like its own thing.

I guess them going for too much of a Kanto 2.0 vibe really makes it hard to see this saga standing on its own yet.

So far, with the exception of competent TR, almost everything else that happened in this saga has happened in all previous sagas, just in a slightly different way. I know Pokemon repeats the same plots over and over, but every saga at least introduced something new.

Honestly it would be interesting if they transformed the anime to resemble the Pokemon Special a bit. It might be for older audiences, but it would freshen the series more IMO. They could still keep the same characters, but they would come and go....and actually age.

The problem is as much has changed, the show still hasn't moved out of its comfort zone.

Ash still catches the same core types (and even all the starters), he always does. Iris and Dento are really just Misty/Brock expies. Trip is basically Paul-lite.

TR/Giovanni are being treated similarly to Team Galactic back in DP.

The "plots" of the actual episodes are pretty much the same as most of AG and DP's general plots.

The only difference is everything moves faster and TR isn't attacking Ash in every episode.

The episode is still a filler.

Deal with it.

Wow. So basically your saying for me to believe what you say for no reason. A toned down "Believe what I say or I'll hurt you" basically.

@DracoMan You do know this show only exist to sell toys and games right? Cause' the writers are writing the story as they go along debuting merchadise at the time Nintendo tells them they really don't give a damn about the distance and stuff just about selling and making money. You guys act as if this show is something like Naruto or One Piece when it's just a show for one thing Selling and Money.

@DracoMan You do know this show only exist to sell toys and games right? Cause' the writers are writing the story as they go along debuting merchadise at the time Nintendo tells them they really don't give a damn about the distance and stuff just about selling and making money. You guys act as if this show is something like Naruto or One Piece when it's just a show for one thing Selling and Money.

Even if The Powers That Be like to use the show to help advertize their merchandise, I doubt it will affect the pacing in the way you seem convinced will happen. And even if it looks like the Unova League will be wrapped up earlier than is convenient for the writers, I'm sure they can find something for Ash to do afterwards. They've done it before with the Orange Islands, and this time they may come up with something better.

Oh, and two words: Grammar School.

I guess the writers realized people will start complaining if fillers appear even if its a really great episode so they start adding some scenes to make the episode non filler. This is my speculation.

News flash! Naruto and One Piece exist to sell merchandise as well! Especially the latter.

Uhhhhh, One Piece and Naruto are written by creators with plans for plots and endings. Pokemon will continue cause' Nintendo loves whipping there asses with 1000 yen bills. But thanks for the update.

@Draco

"Even if The Powers That Be like to use the show to help advertize their merchandise, I doubt it will affect the pacing in the way you seem convinced will happen. And even if it looks like the Unova League will be wrapped up earlier than is convenient for the writers, I'm sure they can find something for Ash to do afterwards. They've done it before with the Orange Islands, and this time they may come up with something better."

Every Pokemon that sells merchandise is tried to be shoved down throats as much as possible that's why Piplup, a mascot appeared a load to sell stuff :p

I'm not convinced about a thing, I just don't take every bit of info someone serves me on a silver platter with no proof.

Thanks for the Grammar School advise. By the way "advertise" with a "s" not a "z" but, I'm pretty sure Smart People like you already knew that :p

Last edited:
Thanks for the Grammar School advise. By the way "advertise" with a "s" not a "z" but, I'm pretty sure Smart People like you already knew that :p

You misspelled "advice"

I guess the writers realized people will start complaining if fillers appear even if its a really great episode so they start adding some scenes to make the episode non filler. This is my speculation.

Which barely makes it a non-filler anyway

Just barely............(and by barely, I mean doesn't)

News flash! Naruto and One Piece exist to sell merchandise as well! Especially the latter.
I don't think it's exactly the same comparison there. Naruto/One Piece are manga adaptations and the merchandising oppurtunities come as a result of the story that is being adapted. While it's true that the Naruto and One Piece animes do lead to merchandise being created, it's their manga originals that are the main point of their existence. Pokemon as an anime is original and does it's own story to promote the games of which it gets it's material from.

I mean, it's not like Eichiro Oda is thinking about what new toy he can bring out for the next arc in his head. That's what Toei Animation is for.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom