• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Lamest lines you've ever heard on the show

Not really bad dialogue but;

Ash: "Pikachu are you okay?"
COTD: "Ash, I think everybody's okay." - this makes her sound rude or condescending when she has a smile on her face.

I don't remember the episode but I think it's the one where Starly evolves.

Can't remember the episode but: "Pikachu's about to hit the wall!"

Not the worst thing, but certainly not good. This is not how people talk, this is just exposition disguised as battle dialogue, it's clunky. The funniest thing about this line is that Pikachu gets slammed into the wall seconds after this line is said, like Ash predicted this exact thing would happen.

Last edited:
Ash's infamous "Pikachu! The horn!"

I will never get over this complete lack of logic in season one. It ruined the anime's battle scenes for me for a long time, because the suspense was dead. If Pikachu can just randomly break the most basic rules of battle, then the stakes are non-existant.

Ash's infamous "Pikachu! The horn!"

I will never get over this complete lack of logic in season one. It ruined the anime's battle scenes for me for a long time, because the suspense was dead. If Pikachu can just randomly break the most basic rules of battle, then the stakes are non-existant.
It's similar in Japanese, to be fair. A lot of people misquote this as "Aim for the horn," though, which Ash never said (in Duelist Kingdom in YGO, game rules also got tossed out the window like in Season 1 of Pokémon as another example).

"Scrumptchy" from Jessie and "Honeylicious" from SM dub TRio in the Sun & Moon dub from TPCi, new entries for me- neither is even a word. An honorable mention to Ash's "Awesome-est" in the final dub episode, for the same reason.

Most of the dialogue in the TPCI dub in general is just so forced and unnatural-sounding. The terrible voice direction and background music does not help but the dialogue itself is just so...awful. It rarely ever sounds like real humans, especially human children, are having a conversation but instead sounds like actors reading from a mediocre script. And I'm absolutely not the first to point this out, but Team Rocket's dialogue in particular is just so awful.

Even when they aren't speaking in rhyme or alliteration or outdated slang, it really doesn't even sound like they're speaking in sentences? Even when the translation of the original Japanese line is more or less accurate, it's like the dub scriptwriters translate the original and then find the least natural-sounding way to write it in English. The 4Kids dub absolutely had its problems with how they handled the Rocket trio, but TPCI's handling of them is on a whole other level.

If you live in the United States and have been to a Regal movie theatre in the last year or so you probably have seen that terrible pre-movie advertisement where all of the characters are speaking in famous movie quotes but it sounds awful because half of them don't even make sense in the context of the scene. I went to see the Barbie movie a few weeks ago and when this came on I finally realized- this is what TPCI Team Rocket sounds like. Totally unnatural, forced, and confusing.

I hate how they rewrote Ash and Serena's reunion dialogue in the JN105 dub.

Ash says Serena is a "good friend from some of his journeys". This makes it sound like he's friend-zoning Serena after the kiss (when the scene's intent is to imply romance while being as vague as possible about it), and saying "some" and "journeys" plural makes it sound like she was there for more than just Kalos.

He also says something dumb like "catch ya later!" to her which sounds way too casual and corny for the context it's used in.

Please note: The thread is from 9 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom