1. Interested in joining the Bulbagarden staff? See details here.
  2. The forums are going to be down this weekend (tentatively Saturday the 19th) for maintenance as we upgrade the software to XenForo 2. Particularly of note is that blogs are going to be removed for the time being, but we are getting a lot of new features with the upgrade.

For more details, see this thread.

Lamest lines you've ever heard on the show

Discussion in 'Pokémon Anime and Manga' started by Cilan, Feb 24, 2011.

1. Kthleen

Kthleen Avatar mostly by Asci

Blog Posts:
    To "ring one's chimes" means to be interesting/exciting to someone. "We've never met a chest that didn't interest/excite us." The added "chesty" does sound kind of silly, but I guess they needed to pad out the line to fit the lip flaps.

Does anyone know what episode the "Sophocles' Mom makes the best cooking!" line is from?

Jared DiCarlo and martianmister like this.
  2. martianmister

martianmister マーシャンミスター

Blog Posts:
    It's from SM019.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2019
    Jared DiCarlo likes this.
  3. Kthleen

Kthleen Avatar mostly by Asci

Blog Posts:
    Thanks.

If it matters, looking at the Japanese version, he just calls her "Mama" ("Mama no ryouri wa sekai ichi dakara ne!"/"Mama's cooking is the best in the world!").

4. Jared DiCarlo

Jared DiCarlo Grovyle Fan

Blog Posts:
    Yeah, TPCi’s translation was just a tad too literal there. In Japan, parents have this weird thing where they stop referring to each other by their real names once they have a child, and that’s where the awkwardness of this quote comes from.

5. prog rocker

prog rocker Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    You know, that quote even sounds like it came from a preschooler's show. You know, the ones that don't allow the parents to have any names like Peppa.

6. Violeta

Violeta Colours

Blog Posts:
    It's funny because this sums up Ash's character 95% of the time.

7. Lightning Flame Blast

Lightning Flame Blast Flashing through the chaos

Blog Posts:
    “Your electric attacks won’t work! This tank is made of rubber!”
    -Jessie, Ep64: It’s Mr. Mime Time!

Jared DiCarlo and KenzeyEevee like this.
  8. Dogasu

Dogasu ロケット団よ永遠

Blog Posts:
    Do you also have a problem with how literally 99.9999999999% of all American shows throw in jokes, puns, clever turns of phrases, complex idioms, and cultural references with absolutely zero regard for the headaches those'll cause for international dubbers?

9. prog rocker

prog rocker Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    Thank you reminding me of those. Animaniacs and Freakazoid must have been nightmares to translate into Spanish. Hell, the Prince joke in Animaniacs got completely ruined because the pun doesn't work in Spanish. On the other hand, at least the censors didn't have to worry about it...

Nicolas721 and Jared DiCarlo like this.
  10. martianmister

martianmister マーシャンミスター

Blog Posts:
    "Eek! It’s my childhood nanny! What was she doing here?" - James in "Why? Wynaut?"
    "Someone always calls during my soap operas!" - Professor Oak in "Don’t Touch That ‘Dile!"

Source: Jared DiCarlo

11. Jared DiCarlo

Jared DiCarlo Grovyle Fan

Blog Posts:
    Haha..very funny.....:mad:

Back on topic:

“And hand that hulk a loss!” - James in “Battling a Thaw in Relations!” (Team Rocket’s dialogue throughout the Sinnoh League arc is just awful)
    “Help that twerp! Make the bad guy drool and slurp!” - Team Rocket in “Battling a Thaw in Relations!” (Ew....)
    “Hi-de-ho!” - James in “The Brockster Is In!”
    “Toxic twerp talk.” - James in “The Brockster Is In!”
    “Love those alliterations!” - Jessie in “The Brockster Is In!” (Here’s Zoppi patting himself on the back for his awful dialogue)
    “I’m the little engine that can’t!” - James in “Memories Are Made of Bliss!” (TPCi has a weird fetish for trains)
    “Wowee, that tingles!” - Iris in “Enter Iris and Axew!”
    “Scraggy has the aroma of an old shoe.” - Burgundy in “A Conoisseur’s Revenge!”
    “Anyone who wouldn’t want a Pokémon like you isn’t too smart.” - Ash in “Lumiose City Pursuit” (TPCi redubbed this line when the episode officially premiered because it is so out of character for Ash)
    “Brock, you’re bumping me a little too hard!” - Ash in “King and Queen For A Day!”
    “Stop bein’ taller dan me!” - Meowth in “Overjoyed!”
    “No duh!” - several characters during the TPCi era
    “And when we do, we’re gonna raise the roof!” - Ash in “Pokémon Ranger: Deoxys’ Crisis!”
    “Those people balls are what I'm talking about, they'll keep you twerpies from getting out!” - Meowth in “Fighting Ire with Fire!” (no comment)
    “You have an eating disorder!” - Jessie in “The Fleeing Tower of Sunyshore!” (she’s referring to Ash’s Gible, by the way)
    “Talk about a real shotgun wedding!” - James in “The Treasure is All Mine!”
    “We can conveniently use that captured Capture Styler to capture Heatran and Pikachu, true?” - Jessie in “Heatran Rescue!”
    “It’s more fun giving a hot foot than getting one!” - Meowth in “Heatran Rescue!”
    “Pish posh.” James in “An Elite Coverup!”
    “Eat my pink dust!” - Jessie in “An Elite Coverup!”
    “Yanmega, gloom and doom with Sonic Boom!” - Jessie in “With the Easiest of Grace!”
    “I’m always stoked by how great your performances are!” - Zoey in “Opposites Interact”

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019 at 1:01 AM
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.