• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Lamest lines you've ever heard on the show

0:20
This is why I say this is probably the only Series wherein 4Kids had a more tolerable dub script writing style than someone else in TPCi, Christ.

Attachments

• 9A8F6963-E696-4550-9D8B-91266695C66D.jpeg
    9A8F6963-E696-4550-9D8B-91266695C66D.jpeg
    269.5 KB · Views: 47
I'd probably say from the episode "Pika and Goliath" when Raichu catches Pikachu and throws him into the air. The phrase that Sho uses "Big, bang, boom" is some nonsense that is just meant to match up with his slang-spewing persona. Though to be honest, I kind of prefer his lame phrases to Clayton running words together like "battover" and "secplea."

I'd probably say from the episode "Pika and Goliath" when Raichu catches Pikachu and throws him into the air. The phrase that Sho uses "Big, bang, boom" is some nonsense that is just meant to match up with his slang-spewing persona. Though to be honest, I kind of prefer his lame phrases to Clayton running words together like "battover" and "secplea."
It's ironic the DP dub's dialogue is finally getting a hard look, when the "switch" happened it wasn't just the voice acting as a boy I saw a sharp nosedive in the quality of back then or intros- the script writing took a clear hit. It was most evident in Seasons 9-13, though, it did get a little better in Seasons 14+ but it still remains worse in many ways than it was in Seasons 1-8 IMO. This is what happens when only one man writes the dub scripts, we don't know if they finally swapped out JCC towards the end of Season 25's dub that said.

Not a lame line at all. Just rewatched “A Chansey Operation” and James’ “the twerps an MD!?!” Made me laugh hysterically. Totally forgot about that line.

“Bling time bling time yo yo yo time to polish my charm and sound the alarm Dugtrio and I are gonna make this baby fly high up in the hip hop sky. So plant me now and dig me later, foodly hacky sacky peace out.”

(Meowth in the SM dub ep with the Alolan Dugtrio)

“I can’t believe I don’t have you written down in my little blue book of babes because I’m such a dummy!” (Brock, DP dub, M10 iirc)

Last edited:
1:40 - 2:04 - Were those rewrites necessary?
Ash sounds like a pissed off gruff woman there, Natochenny's not really any better than Taylor was there in EP001 (if not worse, Taylor's acting was at least better in terms of evocating emotional range better, even if she sounded like a boy with a cold/stuffy nose when she began) and the script writing/dialogue is worse than something out of 4Kids in terms of the translation being way off.

"Mess with me and you're gonna lose" is a super lame line/script change in the M20 dub vs. EP001's dub, is Ash a playground bully or something TPCi? "I'm going to capture and defeat you all, you hear me?" on the other hand, makes him sound far less arrogant and sincere, JCC's writing has always been a con for the TPCi dub not a pro vs the OG 4Kids dub- I maintain this. I'll take a thousand "Let's Poke-round my laboratory" lame puns before I'd take half of what TPCi came up with from S9-25 tbh.

Ash sounds like a pissed off gruff woman there, Natochenny's not really any better than Taylor was there in EP001 (if not worse, Taylor's acting was at least better in terms of evocating emotional range better, even if she sounded like a boy with a cold/stuffy nose when she began) and the script writing/dialogue is worse than something out of 4Kids in terms of the translation being way off.

"Mess with me and you're gonna lose" is a super lame line/script change in the M20 dub vs. EP001's dub, is Ash a playground bully or something TPCi? "I'm going to capture and defeat you all, you hear me?" on the other hand, makes him sound far less arrogant and sincere, JCC's writing has always been a con for the TPCi dub not a pro vs the OG 4Kids dub- I maintain this. I'll take a thousand "Let's Poke-round my laboratory" lame puns before I'd take half of what TPCi came up with from S9-25 tbh.
The difference is clear, I think this post I found a while back sums it up:

4Kids: "Spearows, do you know who I am? I am Ash, from the town of Pallet! I am destined to be the world's number one Pokemon master."

TPCi: "All right, you! I don't think you know who you're dealing with! But I'm Ash Ketchum, from Pallet Town! And I'm gonna be the world's greatest Pokmon Master!"

WINNER: 4Kids!

4Kids: "I can't be defeated by the likes of you. I'm going to capture and defeat you all! You hear me?"

TPCi: "Mess with me and you're gonna lose! I'm gonna catch all of you Pokemon at once!"

WINNER: DEFINITELY NOT TPCi!

4Kids: "Pikachu, go inside the Pokeball. It's the only way."

TPCi: "Pikachu, you gotta get inside your Pokeball, NOW."

WINNER: 4Kids

4Kids: "Come and get me!"
TPCi: "All right, you, hit me with your best shot!"

WINNER: 4Kids

4Kids: 4
TPCi: 0

And the winner is... 4Kids! In both voice and script!
And I agree, Sarah always seems to get super gruff during tense moments, not unlike DP (even if not as deep).

Last edited:
“Since I started working in dis noodle joint, I’m blooming bigger than a dozen roses!" - Meowth (“Noodles, Roamin’ Off!”)

“And if that means hacking hoard of noodles in a nifty noodle shop.” -Jessie (“Noodles, Roamin’ Off!”)

"Carnivine, you'll never be off-color! Get off me!" - James (See above, WTF does this mean?)

“Alright Froakie, this is where we really need to step on the gas.” (Ash, “A Rush of Ninja Wisdom.”)

“And I’m super psyched!” (Ash, SM dub)

“Lapras is going downhill fast!” (Ash, “Bonnie for the Defense!”)- TPCi covering up death in the weirdest, most stupid way possible.

“Forming a formidable army is inevitable for our Kalos Kingdom!” -(James, “Kalos, Where Dreams and Adventures Begin”)

Last edited:
"Lame-os" from Paul (who says that anymore?? Even at the time it was outdated, and that "insult" was lame the year it first came into existence too...)

Last edited:
A lot of TRio's dialogue in the Sun & Moon dub can go here, post-DP dubbed:

"That was scrumtchy!" - Jessie

"Honey-licious" - James

"I so totally..." - Jessie (Like, gag her with a silver spoon, whatever! @R.O.B. Valley girl-ish, IMO)

Also, Bonnie in the XY dub's made up gibberish words:

"Furshinsta" - From "Grooming Furfrou"

"Cutier pie"

This is dialogue that makes "Whoever smelt it, dealt it" seems like Shakespeare wrote it (that's the season coincidentally JCC got to come on the dub as a tertiary writer, definitely likely his handiwork).

In fairness, wasn't the "joke" with that last one that Braggo's shtick was starting to rub off on Ash and Co.?

(IIRC, James also complains that Braggo was so much smarter than them, because he knew "how to use a saying and sometimes speak in rhyme." Which amused me I'll admit, given the irony there.)

In fairness, wasn't the "joke" with that last one that Braggo's shtick was starting to rub off on Ash and Co.?

(IIRC, James also complains that Braggo was so much smarter than them, because he knew "how to use a saying and sometimes speak in rhyme." Which amused me I'll admit, given the irony there.)
Yes, that's right.

(I actually much preferred the old dub's script writing staff overall, and even JCC was better back then than when he got free reign over things IMO: the issue with the 4Kids' dub's script writing was more that when they diverged they made stuff up--- more than the dialogue being inherently badly written, most of the times it was so naturally well written that you'd be hard-pressed to even know it was altered unless you pulled up the Japanese Version side by side to compare like Dogasu does. TPCi ended up doing the same thing as 4Kids anyway in terms of the script writing divergence sometimes, but I have more stupid lines than I ever did prior from the dub, beforehand).

I remember the "It's a real pain to explain yo" stuff from the XY dub too, IIRC there were these two friends who talked in slang all the time in an episode near where Ash faced Grant- hated that stuff. Some might find it funny, but I thought it was annoying (reminded me of 4Kids' in Yu-Gi-Oh GX when they had T-Bone or someone named that talking to Jaden like that).

I remember the "It's a real pain to explain yo" stuff from the XY dub too, IIRC there were these two friends who talked in slang all the time in an episode near where Ash faced Grant- hated that stuff. Some might find it funny, but I thought it was annoying (reminded me of 4Kids' in Yu-Gi-Oh GX when they had T-Bone or someone named that talking to Jaden like that).
Oh yeah, T-Bone was certainly a thing, lol. I think all of the Light Brigade had a "street thug" lingo as their quirk, to some extent. Though Sean's character was definitely the one they went the hardest with it on, however. For better or worse.

(Jamie McGonigal's "Thunder" was a rather fun performance though, I thought.)

Please note: The thread is from 8 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom