• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Lamest lines you've ever heard on the show

Because apparently bad Japanese puns only get worse in English.
Finally! Someone else who feels like I do! I don’t get why people rip on 4Kids and TPCi for making really lame puns when the stuff that Japan comes up with is just as bad, if not worse. Remember that really, really, lame “riddle” about the Crimson Badge that 4Kids changed because it only made sense in Japan?

"Cowderpie" from episode 3. Because apparently bad Japanese puns only get worse in English.

I mean yeah it was kinda cringy, but there's not much that 4Kids could've done with it. Their only other options would've been to ignore the pun (whereby making Ash's cow suit random), or delete the scene.

Finally! Someone else who feels like I do! I don’t get why people rip on 4Kids and TPCi for making really lame puns when the stuff that Japan comes up with is just as bad, if not worse.

But this particular pun actually made sense in the Japanese version, though. So it's not the original writer's fault if the dub couldn't come up with a good alternative.

But this particular pun actually made sense in the Japanese version, though. So it's not the original writer's fault if the dub couldn't come up with a good alternative.
I respectfully disagree; they could do with being a little more considerate of the dubbers who have to cobble something workable out of these lost jokes and nods (the Scyther baseball umpire gag from earlier in SM was clever but no other country actually calls it Strike, thus ruining the whole point). Samson Oak's puns speak for themselves here, especially since his contorting facial expressions basically stop the dub from using a more suitable Pokémon species.

From the dub: "They're bigger losers than that guy who invented homework!" I think it's from the Paras episode.

Really any line or episode title that references real-world pop culture. That "Nice Pryce Baby" title is embarrassing.

I'm normally not a big fan of pop culture jokes in the anime but Nice Pryce Baby cracks me up.

I respectfully disagree; they could do with being a little more considerate of the dubbers who have to cobble something workable out of these lost jokes and nods (the Scyther baseball umpire gag from earlier in SM was clever but no other country actually calls it Strike, thus ruining the whole point). Samson Oak's puns speak for themselves here, especially since his contorting facial expressions basically stop the dub from using a more suitable Pokémon species.
Exactly!

How about some more lame quotes?

“I can move out of Mom's!” - James in “A Bite to Remember” (um, James, you don’t live with your Mom anymore)
“It looks like big bamboo!” - Meowth in “Rise and Shine, Starship!”
“Oh my poor, exquisitely beautiful face!” - Jessie in “Try for The Family Stone!”
“Loser loser loser loser! You STINK! YOU! STINK! YOU! STINK! YOU! STINK! Have I forgotten something? Oh that's right! STINK! STINK! And that means loser.... LOSER LOSER LOSER LOSER LOSER!” - Jessie in “Uncrushing Defeat!”
“Oh dear, it’s kinda hard to hide that caboose!” - Dawn in “Promoting Healthy Tangrowth!”
“Is that even possible?” - Barry in “Challenging a Towering Figure!”
“We’ve never met a chest that didn’t ring our chesty-chimes!” - James in “The Treasure is All Mine!” (what does James even mean here?)
“I’ll bet Snorlax works out a lot!” - Brock in “A Marathon Rivalry!”
“You robotic brute!” - James in “Flint Sparks the Fire!”
“Eat my pink dust!” - Jessie in “An Elite Coverup!”
“BING BANG POW!!!” - Meowth in “With the Easiest of Grace!” (no comment)
“That move is an absolute must! Learn it now, Meowth!” - Jessie in “A Grand Fight for Winning!”
“You looked kind of handsome when you beat Ash!” - Dawn in “Four Roads Diverged in a Pokemon Port!”
“Now we’re going to have shrinkage!” - Jessie in “An Old Family Blend!”
“Gible, look out for that tongue!” - Ash in “Working on a Right Move!”
“You can’t find anything this jiggly in Unova!” - Iris in “Enter Iris and Axew!”
“Are you the evil spirit? Tell us!” - Iris in “Night in the Nacrene City Museum!”

Last edited:
“Believe it or not, I’m a professor.” - Kukui in “Loading the Dex!”
“The PokeDex is Rotom and Rotom’s the PokeDex!” - Ash in “Loading the Dex!”
“Whoa, she’s on fire now!” - Ash in some XY episode
“Look at all the new Pokémon!!!” - Ash in “Kalos: Where Dreams and Adventures Begin!”
“You can hear wedding bells Chingaling!” - Principal Oak in “The Professor’s Big Adventure!” (Out of all the lame puns he has, this one hurts me the most)
“All that for a croquette sandwich.” - Kiawe in “That’s Why Litten is a Scamp!”
“That guy’s just a big fat liar!” - Max in “Cheer Pressure”
“You dimwitted dumbbell dope!” - Meowth in “Poetry Commotion”
"Check out da hardware on Ma, some major bling bling going on!" - Meowth in “Disaster of Disguise” (no comment)
“This is bananas!” - May in “Garden of Eatin’”
“Yeah, a two-sided twerp fest!” - Meowth in “Smells Like Team Spirit!”
“Do da math!” - Meowth in “The Bells are Singing!”
“They’re no match for Brock’s poffins!” - Dawn in “Hungry for the Good Life!”
“Let’s get ready to research!” - James in “Lumiose City Pursuit!”
“Down the hatch!” - numerous characters in the TPCi era
“Your mediocrity overwhelms me!” - Meowth in “A Restoration Confrontation! (Part 1)”
“Junior Tournament Pokémon Cup of World...Junior?” - Ash in “All For the Love Of Meloetta!”
“Sorry, but you should say there WAS a need to worry!” - Dawn in “Expedition to Onix Island!”
“Hey...that sure doesn’t clear it up for me!” - Ash in “The Mighty Accelguard to the Rescue!”
“You’re giving me a pain and I can’t say where ‘cause kids watch dis show!” - Meowth in “May’s Egg-Cellent Adventure!”
“Hooray! You’re good with names!” - JJM in “On Olden Pond”
“My favorite fings ta fire!” - Meowth in “Reversing the Charges!”
“What’s time travel?” - May in “The Green Guardian”
“No fair...I didn’t know I was going to have to think!” - James in “Time Warp Heals All Wounds!”
“Oh, Nurse Joy, nothing would make me merrier than to get in on it with you!” - Brock in “Off the Unbeaten Path!”
“It beats being dead!” - Jessie in “Off the Unbeaten Path!”
“Feisty and fruit-filled!” - James in “Odd Pokémon Out!”
“Buzz your brains out!” - Jessie in “Cutting the Ties That Bind!”
“Push harder, Heracross!” - May in “Kaboom with a View!”
“We’ve got booty for you!” - Jessie in “What I Did for Love”

Last edited:
"Sophocles' Mom makes the best cooking!" - Sophocles' Dad 2017

What's wrong with that? I mean in terms of context.

tenor.gif

What's wrong with that? I mean in terms of context.

tenor.gif
It's just really weird that he calls her that instead of, y'know... her actual name. Who even refers to their own wife like this outside Japan?

It's just really weird that he calls her that instead of, y'know... her actual name. Who even refers to their own wife like this outside Japan?

Oh well I guess I can see the awkwardness. Did she even have a name in the Japanese version, though?

“Is she real?” - Dawn in “Keeping in Top Forme!”
“But I don't like to be called one of the Elite Four, at all. It's a secret!” - Bertha in “An Elite Coverup!”
“That's yahoo speak for makin' us do the heavy liftin'.” - Meowth in “With the Easiest Of Grace!”
“I like to think of our cheerleadin' as an investment in our health!” - Meowth in “Opposites Interact”
“Whaddya know...so Pidove’s a girl?” - Ash in “Snivy Plays Hard to Catch!”
“Maybe a bit more like Thunder Burp...” - Ash in “Scraggy - Hatched to Be Wild!”
“Yeah, Pokémon are awesome!” - Ash in “Sewaddle and Burgh In Pinwheel Forest!”
“My first time!” - Bianca in “A Fishy Competition!”
“They perfected Revenge for Revenge?” - Bianca in “Search for the Clubultimate!”
“I’ll pull it out!” - James in “A Call for Brotherly Love!”
“Hold on, old chum!” - James in “The Light of Floccesy Ranch!” (have I mentioned how much I hate it when James calls people “chums”?)
“You lugs really know how to float my boat!” - Meowth in “Danger: Sweet as Honey!”
“We'll make the rockingest rocket robot that ever rolled!” - Jessie in “To Catch a Rotom!”
“We’ll save lying ‘till we need it!” - Jessie in “Capacia Island UFO!”
“FEEL BETTER! FEEL BETTER, RIGHT AWAY!!!” - Ash in “Giving Chase at The Rhyhorn Race!”
“Everybody’s got secrets hidden in their closet!” - Brock in “Journey to the Unknown!”
“But I'll have one of the Elite Four in my face!” - James in “A Trainer and Child Reunion!”

I'm still surprised that "X? Is that a new Pokémon?" is not a meme, or maybe a counterpart to the "is this a pigeon?" meme. Sure, it's okay to not know the meaning of a word, but automatically assuming it's a Pokémon made Ash sound dumb.

The "cowterpie" line was also bad in the LA Spanish dub, here it is (translated):

Ash: ¿Uh? ¿Qué pasa ahora? (Huh? What's happening?)
Misty: ¡Creo que vi a otro bicho en la hierba! (I think I saw another bug in the grass!)
Ash: Talvez es una... ¡vaquita! (Maybe it is... a cow!)

Doesn't help that Ash says it in a slightly deadpan tone.
"Gingerly rubbing that gentle Geodude...!" - James, "Grating Spaces!
"Come on baby, don't say maybe!" - Meowth, "Purrloin: Sweet or Sneaky?"

These two sound so wrong without any context. The second one even sounds uncomfortable.

“Purely purely the best for my Pokemon surely!” - James in “Real Life, Inquire Within!”
“MOMMY!!!” - Lillie in “Faba’s Revenge”
“Meowthy-wowthy!” - Rapp in “A Team on Team Tussle!”
“Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle!” - Ash in “Rocking Clawmark Hill!”
“At first, ya hated goin' inside your Pokeball.” - Ash in “Gathering the Gang of Four!”
“Nary a bum nor beast in sight!” - Meowth in “If The Scarf Fits....Wear It!”
“Rigid. Like you, James!” - Jessie in “Aiding the Enemy!”
“I WANT TO DO THAT! WHATEVER THAT IS!” - Jessie in “Playing the Leveling Field!”
“Nah nanny boo boo!” - Jessie in “Jumping Rocket Ship!” (speaks for itself)
“HOOP DEE DOO!!!!” - Meowth in “A Breed Stampede!”
“You don’t have any balls left!” - Criminal in “Stealing the Conversation!”
“Eyes like mud pies...” - Dawn in “Battling a Cute Drama!”
“My name is Brock, the gratitude person!” - Brock in “Giratina and the Sky Warrior”
“GOOOO! AWAAAAYYYYY!!!!” - Darkrai in “Rise of Darkrai” (half of Darkrai’s dialogue in this film)
“So...I’m a mom?” - May in “Pokemon Ranger and the Temple of the Sea”
“Go walk da plank, crank!” - Meowth in “Pokémon Ranger and the Temple of the Sea”
“Hey, it’s a girl!” - Ash in “A Conoisseur’s Revenge!”
“Just fruit? Like fruit from a tree?” - Bianca in “Emolga the Irresistible!”
“That makes Oshawott special...in his own way” - Trip in “Ash and Trip’s Third Battle!”
“Stop being annoying!” - Jessie in “Gotta Catch a Roggenrola!” (the irony in this quote is stunning)
“Excuse me, but that’s my Axew you’re squeezing!” - Iris in “Cilan vs. Trip, Ash vs. Georgia!”
“I don't know what just happened.... but I'm getting really psyched!” - Ash in “The Club Battle Finale: A Hero’s Outcome!”
“They’re really mad about something, but who cares!” - Ash in “Purrloin: Sweet or Sneaky?”

Please note: The thread is from 8 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom