• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Lamest lines you've ever heard on the show

“We’ve never met a chest that didn’t ring our chesty-chimes!” - James in “The Treasure is All Mine!” (what does James even mean here?)
To "ring one's chimes" means to be interesting/exciting to someone. "We've never met a chest that didn't interest/excite us." The added "chesty" does sound kind of silly, but I guess they needed to pad out the line to fit the lip flaps.

Does anyone know what episode the "Sophocles' Mom makes the best cooking!" line is from?

Thanks.

If it matters, looking at the Japanese version, he just calls her "Mama" ("Mama no ryouri wa sekai ichi dakara ne!"/"Mama's cooking is the best in the world!").
Yeah, TPCi’s translation was just a tad too literal there. In Japan, parents have this weird thing where they stop referring to each other by their real names once they have a child, and that’s where the awkwardness of this quote comes from.

Yeah, TPCi’s translation was just a tad too literal there. In Japan, parents have this weird thing where they stop referring to each other by their real names once they have a child, and that’s where the awkwardness of this quote comes from.
You know, that quote even sounds like it came from a preschooler's show. You know, the ones that don't allow the parents to have any names like Peppa.

I respectfully disagree; they could do with being a little more considerate of the dubbers who have to cobble something workable out of these lost jokes and nods (the Scyther baseball umpire gag from earlier in SM was clever but no other country actually calls it Strike, thus ruining the whole point). Samson Oak's puns speak for themselves here, especially since his contorting facial expressions basically stop the dub from using a more suitable Pokémon species.

Do you also have a problem with how literally 99.9999999999% of all American shows throw in jokes, puns, clever turns of phrases, complex idioms, and cultural references with absolutely zero regard for the headaches those'll cause for international dubbers?

Do you also have a problem with how literally 99.9999999999% of all American shows throw in jokes, puns, clever turns of phrases, complex idioms, and cultural references with absolutely zero regard for the headaches those'll cause for international dubbers?
Thank you reminding me of those. Animaniacs and Freakazoid must have been nightmares to translate into Spanish. Hell, the Prince joke in Animaniacs got completely ruined because the pun doesn't work in Spanish. On the other hand, at least the censors didn't have to worry about it...

"Eek! It’s my childhood nanny! What was she doing here?" - James in "Why? Wynaut?"
"Someone always calls during my soap operas!" - Professor Oak in "Don’t Touch That ‘Dile!"

Source: Jared DiCarlo

"Eek! It’s my childhood nanny! What was she doing here?" - James in "Why? Wynaut?"
"Someone always calls during my soap operas!" - Professor Oak in "Don’t Touch That ‘Dile!"

Source: Jared DiCarlo
Haha..very funny.....:mad:

Back on topic:

“And hand that hulk a loss!” - James in “Battling a Thaw in Relations!” (Team Rocket’s dialogue throughout the Sinnoh League arc is just awful)
“Help that twerp! Make the bad guy drool and slurp!” - Team Rocket in “Battling a Thaw in Relations!” (Ew....)
“Hi-de-ho!” - James in “The Brockster Is In!”
“Toxic twerp talk.” - James in “The Brockster Is In!”
“Love those alliterations!” - Jessie in “The Brockster Is In!” (Here’s Zoppi patting himself on the back for his awful dialogue)
“I’m the little engine that can’t!” - James in “Memories Are Made of Bliss!” (TPCi has a weird fetish for trains)
“Wowee, that tingles!” - Iris in “Enter Iris and Axew!”
“Scraggy has the aroma of an old shoe.” - Burgundy in “A Conoisseur’s Revenge!”
“Anyone who wouldn’t want a Pokémon like you isn’t too smart.” - Ash in “Lumiose City Pursuit” (TPCi redubbed this line when the episode officially premiered because it is so out of character for Ash)
“Brock, you’re bumping me a little too hard!” - Ash in “King and Queen For A Day!”
“Stop bein’ taller dan me!” - Meowth in “Overjoyed!”
“No duh!” - several characters during the TPCi era
“And when we do, we’re gonna raise the roof!” - Ash in “Pokémon Ranger: Deoxys’ Crisis!”
“Those people balls are what I'm talking about, they'll keep you twerpies from getting out!” - Meowth in “Fighting Ire with Fire!” (no comment)
“You have an eating disorder!” - Jessie in “The Fleeing Tower of Sunyshore!” (she’s referring to Ash’s Gible, by the way)
“Talk about a real shotgun wedding!” - James in “The Treasure is All Mine!”
“We can conveniently use that captured Capture Styler to capture Heatran and Pikachu, true?” - Jessie in “Heatran Rescue!”
“It’s more fun giving a hot foot than getting one!” - Meowth in “Heatran Rescue!”
“Pish posh.” James in “An Elite Coverup!”
“Eat my pink dust!” - Jessie in “An Elite Coverup!”
“Yanmega, gloom and doom with Sonic Boom!” - Jessie in “With the Easiest of Grace!”
“I’m always stoked by how great your performances are!” - Zoey in “Opposites Interact”

Last edited:
It's sad that now I want to rewatch the anime to see if the LA Spanish dub also have horrible lines aside of the "vaquita" one? Then again, they more or less let James and Meowth's VA do whatever they want, so I think they replaced most of the cringey lines.

“This just proves that fighting is wrong!” - Misty in “Mewtwo Strikes Back” (how has nobody posted this one yet?)
“Whoever smelt it dealt it!” - Ash in some Master Quest episode
“Sounds like it’s time to go and look for your Ash.” - Spencer in “Cutting the Ties that Bind!”
“We'll whip your Scizor into the best shape of its Pokémonic life!” - Meowth in “Gymbaliar!”
“Kim has opened with a Punching Type Pokemon.” - Announcer in “Cerulean Blues” (gee, I wonder what’s wrong with this sentence)
“What rhymes with Tauros?” - Professor Oak in “Showdown at the Oak Corral”
“Messy and Lames!” - Butch in “Showdown at the Oak Corral”
“How totally lame-o!” - Cassidy in “Showdown at the Oak Corral”

I like Dp a lot but one of the worse aspects was the iritating way team rocket started speaking are that point more so Meowth it made me want them to no longer be in the show at times

Please note: The thread is from 8 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom