• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Latest Wild Area Max Raids

Macsen

Reaction score
They launched the Delibird Max Raids today. And they are LOADED with prizes!

I did a regular 5-Star Delibird raid this morning, and got 6 each of XL and L Exp. Candies. Can't imagine what a pink Delibird raid can dish out.

(My hope with this thread is to get it pinned, to have a place to discuss Max Raid events as they happen, and as they are planned.)

I was wondering why I failed to catch a raid Delibird on singleplayer last night. Guess this explains it, as event-boosted raids have different catch rates from normal.

Do I need to activate the online in the Y-Comm for this and the Snorlax event to appear? Or do they just appear automathically?

Do I need to activate the online in the Y-Comm for this and the Snorlax event to appear? Or do they just appear automathically?

You need to go into Mystery Gift and activate the "Wild Area News" option. It'll connect to the internet and update your game, giving you the ability to participate in those Max Raid Battles, as it won't have them by default.

The issue with the event Delibirds is that like the Snorlax before them they now make up over 50% of wild area den spawns. This would be all well and good if the AI didn't get repeatedly KO'd so easily by AOE moves, which higher level Delibird have 2 of. So if you have 3 or 4 5 star Delibird spawn and they decide to spam Blizzard 2 or 3 times per turn you're going to be SOL, and you can't make them despawn unless you beat them, which means that you can't get new raids to spawn (not that it would matter since they would inevitably all be Delibird too) and your raiding grinds to a halt for the rest of the day because nobody wants to help you because they also have Delibird literally everywhere to the point they're also sick of fighting nothing but that.

Not to mention that since the Snorlax event started my daily raiding opens with 4 or 5 event beams and I can't get the day's first regular raid set until I beat them, which gets incredibly tedious knocking out the same 4 or 5 mons over and over and over again, when earlier in December I was getting a nice variety and having fun fighting all the different spawns. This also seems to apply to the non-event dens now too, with their spawn tables seemingly having been buggered by the events. I've lost count now of the number of times my purple dens have been a 5 star Xatu in the den nearest Hammerlocke.

The issue with the event Delibirds is that like the Snorlax before them they now make up over 50% of wild area den spawns. This would be all well and good if the AI didn't get repeatedly KO'd so easily by AOE moves, which higher level Delibird have 2 of. So if you have 3 or 4 5 star Delibird spawn and they decide to spam Blizzard 2 or 3 times per turn you're going to be SOL, and you can't make them despawn unless you beat them, which means that you can't get new raids to spawn (not that it would matter since they would inevitably all be Delibird too) and your raiding grinds to a halt for the rest of the day because nobody wants to help you because they also have Delibird literally everywhere to the point they're also sick of fighting nothing but that.

I agree that they make up too many of the spawns, but having a Lv100 Coalossal makes even the 5-star Delibird pretty trivial for me to beat despite being saddled with the AI partners.

Got lucky tonight; I had three 5 star Magikarp raids and the last one was shiny. Apparently, this runs through today, so my poor husband is doing his level best to find one.

Well, actually, as long as you don't update via the Wild Area News, you can keep doing the events. I accidentally did that with the Delibird event at one point, having kept it going for 2 extra days because I didn't update via the Wild Area News right away, as the event doesn't update itself in your game. So, as long as you don't use the Wild Area News to update your game, you can keep certain events active for a bit longer. It's a little bit of a cheat or glitch, whatever you want to call it, but it's a fun one to exploit, as it doesn't actually "hurt" the game in any shape or form.

Sorry for the double post (once again), but we should update the fact that we have some new Wild Area events. In Sword there is an increased chance of finding G-Max Flapple, Coalossal, and Alcreamie, while in Shield there is an increased chance of finding G-Max Appletum, Lapras, and Alcreamie. As always, update via Wild Area News in Mystery Gift to get the latest goodies. I've already caught a G-Max Flapple and Coalossal in Sword, so the event is very much live. And, to be honest, it's a much-needed change, as I was really sick of the Snorlax event, especially since it practically took over every active den for a while. At least we have a bit more variety this time around instead of just Tubbimora in Pokemon form, with three in each version this time. There isn't any known end date at this time, either, so that gives players a lot of time to start hunting. Just FYI.

omg this new Milcery raid event has saved my sanity

No more daily coffee grind for me! I've got all the Alcremie sweets I need now. :whistle: I even got a second Shiny Milcery!

Edit: By the way, when they were doing the G-Max Alcremie raids, did anyone else have like... no trouble whatsoever when it came to catching them? I caught every single G-Max Alcremie I battled even though Max Raids against other G-Max Pokémon that I tried went the way they usually do. They had to have boosted the catch rate for G-Max Alcremie like mad, right?

Last edited:
The past two days, I've really been in the Max Raid business, mainly aiming for Milcery to get the event sweets and finish my Alcemie collection. I've even caught a Shiny Milcery in one of the raids. Along with a Shiny Litwick in another one. I even caught a Flapple from another host's lobby, since I play Shield.

It is almost impossible to get into other people's Milcery raids, because lobbies fill up quickly (often leading to raids starting before the countdown reaching 2:30), because stamp reloads don't refresh quickly enough, because some require a code, and because some people choose to start at the first second alone, even when their lobby is made public. I was very lucky to even have a 30% success rate on Friday, but just a 10% yesterday, and have had no luck today. I got into one lobby, but the host was a troll who cancelled moments after I joined.

I am so sick of Appletun I want this event to be over. It's been far too long and I hate having to do those raids to get more active dens. Appletun's have far too many bars on their shields and are very annoying.
Milcery has been ok so far I just wish they'd give you more sweets.

Gigantamax Toxtricity raids begin February 6 (at 4:00 p.m. PST) and run until March 8 (at 5:00 p.m. PST). Sword gets Amped Form, Shield gets Low Key Form.

Other than Snorlax, Delibird, Magikarp, and Milcery (which all ran parallel to other events), these Max Raid events seem to follow a steady pattern of a single, dual-version spotlight Gigantamax Pokémon and then two pairs of version-exclusive Gigantamax Pokémon:

Butterfree, Drednaw/Corviknight, Sandaconda/Centiskorch

Alcremie (with its various flavors being version-exclusive), Coalossal/Lapras, Flapple/Appletun

Toxtricity (again, with the forms being version-exclusive), Kingler/Orbeetle, Grimmsnarl/Hatterene

I'm going to go ahead and hazard a guess that the next one will have Duraludon as the spotlight Pokémon, with the exclusives for Sword being Machamp and Copperajah (Rose's ace), and the exclusives for Shield being Gengar and Garbodor (Oleana's ace). Alternatively, I guess Garbodor could be the spotlight since it's the only Unovan Pokémon with a G-Max form, with Duraludon/Copperajah being version-exclusive Steel-types, but Copperajah/Garbodor makes more sense to me based on the story.

Assuming that's right, then that would leave Charizard and Melmetal as the only Gigantamax forms left to get increased distributions, though I could imagine neither of them getting that same kind of treatment since Charizard is already given to you as an in-game gift and since Melmetal is a Mythical (so they might want to distribute it some other way).

Last edited:
5 Star Gigantamax Toxtricity is nearly impossible to do solo, it's ridiculous. Its attacks hit far too hard (and are mostly AoE attacks) and the NPCs are far too useless for you to usually last more than 2 or 3 turns against the thing. I did manage to defeat it once out of like, 10-15 tries, but of course it breaks out of the ball when I tried to catch it.

Last edited:
5 Star Gigantamax Toxtricity is nearly impossible to do solo, it's ridiculous. Its attacks hit far too hard (and are mostly AoE attacks) and the NPCs are far too useless for you to usually last more than 2 or 3 turns against the thing. I did manage to defeat it once out of like, 10-15 tries, but of course it breaks out of the ball when I tried to catch it.
Yeah, that was the case for regular Toxtricity raids to. So yeah, bring friends for this guy, he's a bit too much for NPCs

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom