• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Latest Wild Area Max Raids

Honestly, if these raid mons don't have anything special like guaranteed HAs or a shiny or whatever, I feel little reason to do them. Raids are so boring and jarring that I just can't bring up the energy for them.

and if you play with others the catch rate drop makes them impossible to catch.

If you already have those species registered in your Dex, I find that this is very much not the case when using Repeat Balls. They don't work every time, but they do work a lot of the time. Dusk Balls at night are fairly reliable, too.

Honestly, if these raid mons don't have anything special like guaranteed HAs or a shiny or whatever, I feel little reason to do them. Raids are so boring and jarring that I just can't bring up the energy for them.

In fairness, this event seems directly structured for the benefit of newer players who might want to put together a competitive team very quickly, and in that regard, these species' Hidden Abilities are not necessarily always preferred. Whimsicott loves its Prankster.

If you already have those species registered in your Dex, I find that this is very much not the case when using Repeat Balls. They don't work every time, but they do work a lot of the time. Dusk Balls at night are fairly reliable, too.
Seconding this. I don’t think I’ve ever had a Repeat Ball fail on me (hopefully I didn’t jinx it) and Dusk Balls are rather successful as well, though not as much as Repeat Balls.

A new Max Raid event is live. Mons like Dragapult, Togekiss, and Excadrill have left the building, now being replaced by G-Max Pikachu. That's right, you no longer need to have a Let's Go Pikachu data on your Switch to obtain a G-Max Pikachu. It also has an increased chance of being Shiny and have its Hidden Ability. This is the first part of a 3-week event that'll be distributing special G-Max Mons, one per week. This week is Pikachu, the next week is Eevee, and the final week is Meowth. So, if anyone didn't have Let's Go data on their Switch or didn't get the G-Max Meowth Mystery Gift at the start of the game's release this is your chance to get their exclusive G-Max forms.

The good parts are that Nutty has less chances to even be event-exclusive and obtaining Pikachu obviously, the bad part is that it looks like a very repetitive event, it would have been better to drop all 3 at the same time and have it run for 3-4 weeks.

Forgive me if the info is already all over and this isn't the right place for this question - but how do these max raid events actually Work? This is the first one I've wanted to actually participate in. So short of finding a Pokecord where someone is hosting this, what dens have the Chu, and what are the odds associated with it, and where and how can I find that kind of info? Thanks!

Forgive me if the info is already all over and this isn't the right place for this question - but how do these max raid events actually Work? This is the first one I've wanted to actually participate in. So short of finding a Pokecord where someone is hosting this, what dens have the Chu, and what are the odds associated with it, and where and how can I find that kind of info? Thanks!

To get the event, you simply need to have access to an Internet connection (it is not required that you have a Nintendo Switch Online subscription). In order to activate the event in your game, either connect to the Internet through the Y-Comm, or go to Mystery Gift in the X menu and select "Get the Wild Area News." This should activate the event in your game.

Any Den has the potential to spawn an event Pokémon. I typically find them fairly commonly just by looking through my daily auto-generated Dens, although you can always chuck Wishing Pieces into an inactive Den and attempt to forcibly spawn one. According to Serebii, the spawn rate for these Pikachu is about 15% to 20%.

Last edited:
let's assume that gmax eevee is the next featured raid (it probably will be, but who knows). is anyone here hunting for that, as well? part of me wants to pass on it, but idk. might be nice to have, i think.
Yeah, it’s been confirmed that the next round will feature Eevee and then after that we’ll get Meowth. I’d definitely want to hunt for Eevee, I do really like its shiny.

I hate that GF made their big (pun intended) mechanic of the generation so tedious. Pikachu has double team and it spams it, so afer a couple I was in an endless battle where we couldn't hit it but it also wasn't strong enough to KO any of us. The end result was a really long and boring battle which ended after many turns, and it was the first time since I got the game that I had a raid battle end because of the turns. I hate max raid battles! I had to try many times to beat it. At least Pikachu was easy to catch (unlike the Dragapult of the last event, I could never catch that one).

Last edited:
I hate that GF mades their big (pun intended) mechanic of the generation so tedious. Pikachu has double team and it spams it, so afer a couple I was in an endless battle where we couldn't hit it but it also wasn't strong enough to KO any of us. The end result was a really long and boring battle which ended after many turns, and it was the first time since I got the game that I had a raid battle end because of the turns. I hate max raid battles! I had to try many times to beat it. At least Pikachu was easy to catch (unlike the Dragapult of the last event, I could never catch that one).
Yeah, the Double Team spam is annoying on the 5 star raids (it makes no sense that my Pokémon would miss hitting a giant freaking Pikachu right in front of it) especially with the fact that Pikachu’s Gmax move paralyzes everything. I can see why GameFreak included Double Team, to make the battle more difficult, but I think the full party paralysis from Volt Crash makes it hard enough. Double Team spam just turns the battle into a tedious, drawn-out affair.

Last edited:
Out of curiosity, what do folks normally run raids with, and how many turns does it take them? I use a choice specs eternatus with dynamax cannon and even with the paralysis and double team spam it's typically 4-5 turn KOs, other Pokemon tend to take around 3 turns unless more than 1 "ally" isn't contributing.

Out of curiosity, what do folks normally run raids with, and how many turns does it take them? I use a choice specs eternatus with dynamax cannon and even with the paralysis and double team spam it's typically 4-5 turn KOs, other Pokemon tend to take around 3 turns unless more than 1 "ally" isn't contributing.
I'm currently using a lvl 97 Sandaconda holding a Soft Sand with Shed Skin and the moves Earthquake, High Horsepower, Fire Fang, and Glare (I never use the last two) for the Pikachu raids. I've found that one High Horsepower usually defeats 5 star Gmax-chu in the red even if it has shields up. For 3 and 4 star raids it's usually 2-4 turns, and for 5 star raids it's usually around 4-6 turns for me.

Last edited:
I’ll try to track the precise steps of a few raids later tonight but I’ve been able to solo several Pikachu with just a Lv100 Coalossal that knows High Horsepower.

Edit: Did a couple just now. Here's the play-by-play using only my Lv100 Coalossal (Hyper Trained, holding a Shell Bell, knows Rock Slide, Flare Blitz, Iron Head, and High Horsepower); the AI partners are just the ones I happened to get on the first try. No soft-resetting.

4-star G-Max Pikachu
Allies: Wobbuffet, Heatmor, Snorlax
- Dynamax Coalossal on the first turn.
- Coalossal uses Max Quake and scores a crit. Knocks out about half of Pika's HP. Raises my team's Sp. Def. Pikachu erects a 3-bar barrier.
- Pika uses G-Max Volt Crash on Wobbuffet. Paralyzes all my team members.
- Pika uses Surf, deals damage to all on my team. Activates Coalossal's Steam Engine and gives it a Speed boost.
- Heatmor uses Fire Lash, breaks a bar.
- Snorlax uses Giga Impact, breaks a bar.
- Wobb uses Counter, does nothing
- Coalossal uses Max Quake, breaking the barrier. Pika's Def. and Sp. Def. drop harshly.
- Pika uses Surf, then uses Thunder on Coalossal.
- Heatmor uses Fire Lash and KOs Pika.

5-star G-Max Pikachu
Allies: Salazzle, Hawlucha, Jolteon
- Jolteon uses Swift on Pika.
- Hawlucha uses Flying Press.
- Pika erects a 4-bar barrier.
- Salazzle uses Sludge Bomb, breaks a bar.
- Pika uses some Electric-type attack that hits everyone on my team (apologies, I didn't happen to catch what move it was).
- Pika uses Double Team.
- Coalossal uses Max Quake, breaks two bars.
- Pika uses Max Strike on Jolteon, lowers my team's Speed.
- Pika uses Feint on Salazzle.
- Pika uses Double Team.
- Coalossal uses Max Quake, breaking the barrier.
- Jolteon uses Swift.
- Pika uses Light Screen.
- Hawlucha uses Feather Dance.
- Salazzle uses Fire Lash, Pika erects another 4-bar barrier.
- Coalossal uses Max Quake, and Pika's HP is low enough to where the barrier doesn't matter. Pika gets KO'd.

Last edited:
I’ll try to track the precise steps of a few raids later tonight but I’ve been able to solo several Pikachu with just a Lv100 Coalossal that knows High Horsepower.

Edit: Did a couple just now. Here's the play-by-play using only my Lv100 Coalossal (Hyper Trained, holding a Shell Bell, knows Rock Slide, Flare Blitz, Iron Head, and High Horsepower); the AI partners are just the ones I happened to get on the first try. No soft-resetting.

4-star G-Max Pikachu
Allies: Wobbuffet, Heatmor, Snorlax
- Coalossal uses Max Quake and scores a crit. Knocks out about half of Pika's HP. Raises my team's Sp. Def. Pikachu erects a 3-bar barrier.
- Pika uses G-Max Volt Crash on Wobbuffet. Paralyzes all my team members.
- Pika uses Surf, deals damage to all on my team. Activates Coalossal's Steam Engine and gives it a Speed boost.
- Heatmor uses Fire Lash, breaks a bar.
- Snorlax uses Giga Impact, breaks a bar.
- Wobb uses Counter, does nothing
- Coalossal uses Max Quake, breaking the barrier. Pika's Def. and Sp. Def. drop harshly.
- Pika uses Surf, then uses Thunder on Coalossal.
- Heatmor uses Fire Lash and KOs Pika.

5-star G-Max Pikachu
Allies: Salazzle, Hawlucha, Jolteon
- Jolteon uses Swift on Pika.
- Hawlucha uses Flying Press.
- Pika erects a 4-bar barrier.
- Salazzle uses Sludge Bomb, breaks a bar.
- Pika uses some Electric-type attack that hits everyone on my team (apologies, I didn't happen to catch what move it was).
- Pika uses Double Team.
- Coalossal uses Max Quake, breaks two bars.
- Pika uses Max Strike on Jolteon, lowers my team's Speed.
- Pika uses Feint on Salazzle.
- Pika uses Double Team.
- Coalossal uses Max Quake, breaking the barrier.
- Jolteon uses Swift.
- Pika uses Light Screen.
- Hawlucha uses Feather Dance.
- Salazzle uses Fire Lash, Pika erects another 4-bar barrier.
- Coalossal uses Max Quake, and Pika's HP is low enough to where the barrier doesn't matter. Pika gets KO'd.

So 3 turns on a 5 star? Nice! FWIW the very best option for Pikachu imho (not that it matters anymore) would be a Rhyperior with Lightning Rod, as you prevent the whole team paralysis. You also have more than 50% higher attack, not that you're likely to get a 2 turn KO with mandatory health gating and the uselessness of AI teammates anyway. Even still, it would make a 3 turn KO far more consistent. The only times I got the 3 turn KO on GMax Pikachu was when I happened to have a Rhyperior join in, and once when 3 of the 4 were Eternatus. I'm just not willing to invest in building an optimal pokemon for a one week event XD

At least Eevee was a nice contrast to Pikachu. Even 5 star raids do nothing but spam Charm, so if you have a redirector like Clefairy or Togepi the battle is laughably easy. I caught Eevee with no problems.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom