• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Lavender Town music anomaly...?

Lysandre

F***ing Fabulous
Reaction score
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Lavender_Town

"In the first release of Red and Green in Generation I, Lavender Town's music track contained a high pitched track in the background at certain intervals of its music. In the American releases and Generation III, this track was removed due to strain on speakers and negative effects on the human senses. "

Is there any truth to this? Can the original be heard anyway? I know there was a crappy urban legend about some beta version with human corpses as enemies that made kids kill themselves because the song had such weird pitches, but that was proven to be a 4chan hoax and I'm surprised to see this bit of it on Bulbapedia. Was it based on fact (the song actually did get changed and another version does exist) or is it just a prank edit, and if it is, shouldn't it be changed?

Although I'm pretty sure the high pitched tunes were removen in the US/EU/AU releases of FR/LG, I don't know why and how those tunes would've even the slightest effect on human senses.

Well, supposedly the pitches were so high pitched that it was on the verge on being unhearable to people in puberty (the key audience) because (not a part of the legend, true stuff) the capability of the human ear to pick up certain pitches changes between children and adults. How interesting that it actually was changed, though. I wonder which dude on the American dev team actually took the time to say "DAMN IT JIM, THIS MUSIC IS GIVING ME A HEADACHE, TAKE OUT THE HIGH PITCHED PARTS" :lol:

This sounds like something off of Mythbusters.
Why would sounds of that pitch be programmed into the game? And furthermore, could the Gameboy even produce such a high pitch?

That's what I'm trying to figure out. It seems like it adds up, but... it really doesn't.

So far the only thing I can notice between the two versions is that the US version added a horrifying echo effect. I listened to the "original" and the parts that were "problems" are just as loud in the American version. I'm thinking that bit of trivia is a lie.

EDIT: No, there is one part that is different. The Japanese version, before looping, plays a general outro that is composed of the original melody with a screechy alien sound font. It is high pitched but... my gosh, I can sing higher pitched than that, and I'm a bass. I'm thinking the song was indeed changed, but I see nothing "harmful to the senses", it's an obnoxious sound but nails on a chalkboard cause more "harm" than that three seconds.

I have red blue and yellow, I will see if any of them have this, but they may not be the older ones, but I think they are since my bros get them when they first came out in the U.S..

I jst checked, it hurts my ears, and it isn't in the newer ones... I could hear it but my dad couldn't.

Ouch, that's ear murder!!! I didn't know the GB could produce that high-pitched of a noise, but I just barely heard it for some reason...

Yeah, that one part is haunting me now. I keep wondering why they put it in and cut it out.

On another note, anyone have the deleted song from RBY? I heard there was one out there but I can't readily locate it.

Also check out 1:00-1:05.

Many kids get addicted to this song and just stay in this town, it gives some kids headaches.

Yeah, that one part is haunting me now. I keep wondering why they put it in and cut it out.

On another note, anyone have the deleted song from RBY? I heard there was one out there but I can't readily locate it.

I remember there was a deleted song in GSC, but that's about it. I looked up deleted RBY music and found the surf music with lyrics XD

Okay, go to to song and keep clicking on 5:09, it shows one of these sounds, then go to 5:07 and keep clicking on it, it will play a different one of these sounds.

The only part I can tell different after listening to them back to back for an hour now is 5:05 to 5:11 in http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZOd_gFld9c. That particular clip doesn't seem to be in the American version.

Okay, go to to song and keep clicking on 5:09, it shows one of these sounds, then go to 5:07 and keep clicking on it, it will play a different one of these sounds.

Read the description on the video.

(It should be noted that the emulator stunted on certain parts of the music, more specifically, between 2:32 - 2:38 and 5:05 - 5:11. Those periods do not constitute the actual reproduction of the track, they are instead abnormalities caused by technical issues with the emulation.)

Ok, thanks.

But I still hear that high pitched sound in the games, my dad does not.

They aren't abnormalities with the emulation. I have an emulator and the sound doesn't mess up like that. That is a part of the music.

Indeed it is. The same version shows up in all other Japanese playthroughs as well, I only posted this one because it's the most straightforward. It's alive! :O

Haha, seen that before. I love that story as I'm making a hack where Oak is a psychotic maniac and it fits nicely =)

I found this:

"Ever listened to the actual original theme? Don't.

A friend of mine is in the study of hemisync, which is the use of tunes to manipulate the brain for different purposes (he primarily studies the beneficial), much like the article above lists. I played it only for a few moments, and he told me to turn it off, explaining that it sporadically triggers beta and theta frequencies back and forth, too rapidly. THAT'S what was unbalancing the kids. I actually scared him by playing this for him, wondering what the hell the japanese were thinking by implementing this into a children's game.

It was late and I didn't explain myself well... I 'do' have stereo sound on my laptop, and he's studied it long enough to be able to interpret the beats even without headphones. When I said it sporadically triggered the beta & theta frequencies back & forth, too rapidly, he was referring to the beats alternating between the two sides, one sound, each ear. He can easily understand why this would mentally unbalance children, and even some adults. He said, and I quote: "Two things: One, never play that in front of me again, because that seriously disturbed me, and Two, I need to download that for weapons-grade experimentation."

He's funny, but regardless of the tone, the 'buried alive' and 'whithand' things are false. I have early japanese ports of pokemon green, and have found no evidence of these disturbing images and objects. The article above states that there were supplied images. I was unable to find 'any', nor any actual video of it existing anywhere."

From http://sonicsatam.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=2211.

So supposedly, if listened too with headphones only, the three deleted tones actually alternate between ears in a way that... literally... rapes your brain. Interesting.

Not sure I believe it, but I'm going to stop listening just in case.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom