• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Leak Repository Thread (WARNING: Huge spoilers!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Said by whom?
I don't remember the interview but they said going forward they wouldn't have new evolutions to old pokemon anymore. That's why gen 5 was suspiciously absent of the many new evolutions that gen 4 had.

But come gen 6, we get Sylveon. People wonder if they went back on that statement. But they reiterated that due to Fairy being a new type they had to do something with Eevee for it. All other new evolutions would just be temporary form changes.

Fast forward to now, they have regional variants now. They have a loophole around the horrible statements they made from back in gens 5 and 6.

Do I want a Galarian Farfetchd? Sure. It'd be a cool fighting or fighting/flying type.

The Affleck leak describes a Galarian Meowth but says nothing about a Galarian Farfetchd, only that it has a regional evolution named Sirfetchd.

The official site describes the concept that some regional variants have evolutions that their original forms do not. It describes the Obstagoon situation. It says nothing about there being other concepts at play.

Saying there must be a Galarian Farfetchd is just like saying that no Pokémon will form change when big (gigantamax) because the official site describes dynamax as Pokémon growing in size and mentions nothing about changing form. It's short-sighted.

Do I want a Galarian Farfetchd? Sure. It'd be a cool fighting or fighting/flying type.

The Affleck leak describes a Galarian Meowth but says nothing about a Galarian Farfetchd, only that it has a regional evolution named Sirfetchd.

The official site describes the concept that some regional variants have evolutions that their original forms do not. It describes the Obstagoon situation. It says nothing about there being other concepts at play.

Saying there must be a Galarian Farfetchd is just like saying that no Pokémon will form change when big (gigantamax) because the official site describes dynamax as Pokémon growing in size and mentions nothing about changing form. It's short-sighted.
I disagree, it's not short-sighted, it's adding up.

That's why gen 5 was suspiciously absent of the many new evolutions that gen 4 had.

I think that probably had a lot more to do with them wanting Gen 5 to be a fresh start.

And even if they had said that there wouldn't be any more cross-generation evolutions, they wouldn't need to find a "loophole" to let them make more. They could simply... make more, and go back on what they said with no justification at all, just like with character customization and Mega Evolution being exclusive to Kalos. People tend to like cross-gen evolutions, so I don't think anyone would care about the contradiction, especially since most of the playerbase probably doesn't read developer interviews.

The leak only says, "Some pokemon, like Farfechtd, will get regional evolutions, like Sirfechtd. Meowth looks like a ball of spiky grey fur." Nothing about Farfetch'd getting a variant of its own.

While that’s true, the fact that the leaker goes right from talking about regional evolutions to regional variants with no clear transition makes me wonder if they meant that Farfetch’d is also getting a regional variant. Am I reading too much between the lines?

The odd change of Normal/Flying Farfetch’d to pure Fighting Sirfetch’d doesn’t really make sense in my opinion unless Farfetch’d has a pure Fighting Galarian form. Outside of Marowak-Alola, which I’d say is a special case because it’s a regional variant who originally shared the same typing with its pre-evo, no Pokémon drastically changes their typing upon evolution. And going from dual-type to single-typed seems to be an inverse of evolution trends where a Pokémon gains a typing when it evolves. Basically, I wouldn’t call it short-sighted to think that Farfetch’d is getting a regional variant.

Edit: Though I don’t think the text on the website is sufficient proof of this...

Basically, I wouldn’t call it short-sighted to think that Farfetch’d is getting a regional variant.
Agreed. That's not what I said though. It is short-sighted to declare that there must be a Galarian Farfetchd and dismiss the possibility of Gamefreak deciding to just have regular Farfetchd evolve in this new region. A, wait for it, regional evolution.

While that’s true, the fact that the leaker goes right from talking about regional evolutions to regional variants with no clear transition makes me wonder if they meant that Farfetch’d is also getting a regional variant. Am I reading too much between the lines?

The Meowth thing has also been pretty thoroughly debated. It's not really clear what they meant on that one.

Does it mean that Meowth itself gets a variant that looks like a ball of grey fur, implying nothing about a potential regional evolution? Furthermore, since it also mentions Meowth having a Gigantamax form, is it possible that Galarian Meowth don't evolve at all, with the Gigantamax Meowth being the only "evolution" available to that variant? Or, did it mean to say that Meowth's regional evolution looks like that? And if so, does that mean it is talking about another Persian variant, or about Meowth evolving into a different species of cat altogether, while also having its own Gigantamax form unrelated to that?

Agreed. That's not what I said though. It is short-sighted to declare that there must be a Galarian Farfetchd and dismiss the possibility of Gamefreak deciding to just have regular Farfetchd evolve in this new region. A, wait for it, regional evolution.

My bad, I misinterpreted what you wrote. In that case, I agree with you.

The odd change of Normal/Flying Farfetch’d to pure Fighting Sirfetch’d doesn’t really make sense in my opinion unless Farfetch’d has a pure Fighting Galarian form. Outside of Marowak-Alola, which I’d say is a special case because it’s a regional variant who originally shared the same typing with its pre-evo, no Pokémon drastically changes their typing upon evolution. And going from dual-type to single-typed seems to be an inverse of evolution trends where a Pokémon gains a typing when it evolves.
Eevee. Azurill prior to Gen 6. Mega Aggron loses its secondary type and I don't think mega evolution is any reason to dismiss it.

I just think it's just kind of awkward to show off this mechanic with goon since it evolved from a regional variant.
They could very well drop a trailer revealing Galrian Fetch and Sir Fetch together.
As for Meowth, I really do think that this Regional variant of it is likely based on the Scottish Wildcat which are sometimes called phantom cats.
In European mythology, Phantom cats ( also called the Cat Sith) were felines that had long bodies.
The evo of this Meowth is likely based on the British longhair which are known for their fluff.

Attachments

• maxresdefault.jpg
    maxresdefault.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 36
Honestly don't know why I bother wasting my time here lol.

Enjoy Sword and Shield though!
Sorry?
  1. I didn't know you were the one who made the video.
  2. We were told awhile back to summarize videos we post
  3. I'm very used to videos posted here being fan speculation or etc that we already know.
  4. It's not hard to post a summary.
  5. Other people appreciated it, so why get upset because I didn't?
I'm sorry for sounding rude, but your reply sounded rude too.

If I had known it was your video perhaps I'd have been a bit softer, and maybe I should've clicked to check who made it. Sorry about that.

Last edited:
I just think it's just kind of awkward to show off this mechanic with goon since it evolved from a regional variant.
They could very well drop a trailer revealing Galrian Fetch and Sir Fetch together.
As for Meowth, I really do think that this Regional variant of it is likely based on the Scottish Wildcat which are sometimes called phantom cats.
In European mythology, Phantom cats ( also called the Cat Sith) were felines that had long bodies.
The evo of this Meowth is likely based on the British longhair which are known for their fluff.
I love cat siths!!! Really hope this is the case.

onix ( rock/ground ) - steelix ( steel/ground )
azurill ( normal/fairy ) - marill and azumarill ( water/fairy )
swablu ( normal/flying ) - altaria ( dragon/flying )
fletchling ( normal/flying ) - fletchinder ( fire/flying )
also oricorio's first type changes too ( fire - electric - ghost - psychic )
there is no rule as a pokemon first type is can't change. Both first and second types can change upon evolving.
Like said here, a pokemon can lose their secondary type to the evolving. ( gloom ( grass/poison ) - bellossom ( grass ) )
Also a pokemon's secondary type can change during evolution ( skorupi ( poison/bug ) - drapion ( poison/dark ) )
Like someone said, eevee loses its only type via evolving.

Soooo there isn't any rule about pokemon typing. En of discussion

onix ( rock/ground ) - steelix ( steel/ground )
azurill ( normal/fairy ) - marill and azumarill ( water/fairy )
swablu ( normal/flying ) - altaria ( dragon/flying )
fletchling ( normal/flying ) - fletchinder ( fire/flying )
also oricorio's first type changes too ( fire - electric - ghost - psychic )
there is no rule as a pokemon first type is can't change. Both first and second types can change upon evolving.
Like said here, a pokemon can lose their secondary type to the evolving. ( gloom ( grass/poison ) - bellossom ( grass ) )
Also a pokemon's secondary type can change during evolution ( skorupi ( poison/bug ) - drapion ( poison/dark ) )
Like someone said, eevee loses its only type via evolving.

Soooo there isn't any rule about pokemon typing. En of discussion
I think they were specifically referring to Pokémon who didn’t keep any of their previous types upon evolving. I also don’t think they were counting Form changes. If we’re counting those that do keep a type, there’s also Surskit, Scyther, Nincada, Pupitar, Dartrix, Kirlia -> Gallade, Skrelp, and Exeggcute -> Alolan Exeggutor. Plus Mega Altaria, Mega Gyarados, and Mega Charizard-X if we’re counting Megas.

Last edited:
I feel like maybe there will be a Galarian Farfetch'd if this does end up being it or related to it based on the description. Maybe it evolves this way and loses it's typing because the conditions are different for their survival. Would make sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom