• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Leak Repository Thread (WARNING: Huge spoilers!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's a look at how the image leak links with stuff from the intelleon leak and shots ingame
Still think this is being way too generous towards it, honestly. Sirfetch'd, GMax Pikachu, GMax Lapras, and Skwovet were all already leaked by Affleck-the fact that they could come up with visual clues for that after someone else already leaked it is not very impressive. The picture for GMax Butterfree is a moth, not a butterfly. And Galar Weezing definitely doesn't have any limbs-why did they pick a magic 8 ball with arms and legs, when it's easier to just find a picture without them?

The picture for GMax Butterfree is a moth, not a butterfly.

I think the "leaker" could get away with that since GMax Butterfree kinda looks like Mothra. However, I think they assumed Volcarona would get a Mothra-inspired GMax form, which is why they put Mothra on the "leak sheet," instead of leaking GMax Butterfree.

want to address this for a moment:

It's not that this release season has been lazy, it's just that GameFreak/TPCi has done a complete 180 after the backlash they got for Gen 7.
They practically showed the whole set of new Pokemon that were going to be released for Sun and Moon which disappointed fans. This time around they haven't shown much at all, which is disappointing fans as well.
Regardless, I'd say that there was a happy middle ground for releasing details that they entirely missed, and I hope for Gen 9 they're able to find it or at least get closer to it.

i totally see where you're coming from, but the more i think about it... what would a middle ground look like, y'know? when it comes to pokemon games, there are usually two different camps of people (unless im missing more):

a) the group of people who want to know as much as possible, except story spoilers. it should be safe to say that this is generally most people.
b) the group of people who feel that less is more, and that slow drips of information is beneficial because, to them, playing as blind as possible gives a better experience.

it's kind of a lose/lose situation in a way for TPC because if you're trying to market a product, you want people to talk as much as possible about it because that generates hype and excitement. like, i can kind of understand the backlash of SM/USUM, but regardless of how you feel about them as games individually, TPC did their jobs of hyping them WAY up beforehand, and those games got people talking, which is generally the point.

except this time around, they're going to the opposite "extreme" of things (so to speak) and catering more to the group who feel that less is more, except in a marketing sense i'm not sure if this is totally ideal because it doesn't get people talking as much and if you're in group a, you may not feel as excited for the games because there's not much for you to get hyped about.

i suppose the bigger point im trying to get at is that i'm not sure if a middle ground exists at all. you either want to know as much as possible except for extreme spoilers (which all it takes is a bit of discretion of where you go on the internet) or you want to go in completely blind. that's not to say that there aren't some people that feel/probably belong to a third group of "i kind of want to know some things but not others" but people care about different things (which means they care about different information being revealed to them), so honestly it's likely really difficult to cater to that third group.

imo, regardless of the faults that SM/USUM had, i've personally really loved the pre-release hype building period because there was so much to talk about and get excited over. nowadays it seems that people are cynical about how these games are going to turn out which probably says a lot that this method of marketing is really not working out.

my PoV so far has been "one less thing they reveal now, one more thing I get to experience for myself firsthand on launch"

I do feel that they've made good use out of the limited reveals we've had. It's argued that the 24 hour stream was underwhelming, but it did serve the purpose to have people talking and thinking about the games in that window of time. Social media would constantly blow up every time we caught a new glimpse of ponyta, and the sheer amount of memes that came out of it raised awareness of the games too.

want to address this for a moment:

i totally see where you're coming from, but the more i think about it... what would a middle ground look like, y'know? when it comes to pokemon games, there are usually two different camps of people (unless im missing more):

a) the group of people who want to know as much as possible, except story spoilers. it should be safe to say that this is generally most people.
b) the group of people who feel that less is more, and that slow drips of information is beneficial because, to them, playing as blind as possible gives a better experience.

it's kind of a lose/lose situation in a way for TPC because if you're trying to market a product, you want people to talk as much as possible about it because that generates hype and excitement. like, i can kind of understand the backlash of SM/USUM, but regardless of how you feel about them as games individually, TPC did their jobs of hyping them WAY up beforehand, and those games got people talking, which is generally the point.

except this time around, they're going to the opposite "extreme" of things (so to speak) and catering more to the group who feel that less is more, except in a marketing sense i'm not sure if this is totally ideal because it doesn't get people talking as much and if you're in group a, you may not feel as excited for the games because there's not much for you to get hyped about.

i suppose the bigger point im trying to get at is that i'm not sure if a middle ground exists at all. you either want to know as much as possible except for extreme spoilers (which all it takes is a bit of discretion of where you go on the internet) or you want to go in completely blind. that's not to say that there aren't some people that feel/probably belong to a third group of "i kind of want to know some things but not others" but people care about different things (which means they care about different information being revealed to them), so honestly it's likely really difficult to cater to that third group.

imo, regardless of the faults that SM/USUM had, i've personally really loved the pre-release hype building period because there was so much to talk about and get excited over. nowadays it seems that people are cynical about how these games are going to turn out which probably says a lot that this method of marketing is really not working out.
They could've easily revealed 1 Pokémon a week the last three months and we wouldn't have been flooded, nor dried out by the amount of news.

I think one issue is that I don't think everyone was upset at the Sun and Moon news cycle in the lead up to the games. Granted I preferred how they revealed Pokemon for X & Y but I didn't mind the lead up to Sun and Moon either. Personally I prefer getting more information. (and I prefer knowing what Pokemon will evolve into when I add them to my team)

It's not that the community can't make up its mind, it's just that you can't make everyone happy. Although I think people would be happier in general if the reveals were more like the ones for X & Y.

I think as well for people who are already annoyed with dexit and the gen 1 pandering, how tight lipped GameFreak are being about the game doesn't help at all.

They could've easily revealed 1 Pokémon a week the last three months and we wouldn't have been flooded, nor dried out by the amount of news.

ehhhh idk, part of me agrees while part of me feels like that's a different level of oversaturation. while i agree with your broader point of generally more frequent pokemon reveals (which is a route they could've and honestly should've taken), im not sure if one a week is the right way to go about with it

ehhhh idk, part of me agrees while part of me feels like that's a different level of oversaturation. while i agree with your broader point of generally more frequent pokemon reveals (which is a route they could've and honestly should've taken), im not sure if one a week is the right way to go about with it
It's just an example.

i mean then again that's precisely what SM did, didn't it? trailers dropped monthly with like 3-4 pokemon reveals which might as well be a pokemon a week, so i guess it could work out depending on whether they would follow the SM model of marketing or not.

To be honest I think most people were pretty happy with the reveal up until august. That’s kinda when we stopped getting much new stuff (i think that’s the right timeline) since then we have mostly seen just gen 1 stuff. The two galarian forms. The gmax and the battle trailer. There has not been anything new really for a while. I think even a single new pokemon would make a huge difference. This embargo thing I think helped some, but everyone is itching for a new pokemon or even a character. This setup has not been too bad, but they should mix it up. Like if you got these a couple of months ago, and we just now got the polteagiest trailer I think it would break up better. There is really just nothing at the moment. It feels like we have not got anything new in many months.

i mean then again that's precisely what SM did, didn't it? trailers dropped monthly with like 3-4 pokemon reveals which might as well be a pokemon a week, so i guess it could work out depending on whether they would follow the SM model of marketing or not.
Trailers dropped at a rate of around three a month with 3-4 pokemon each, on top of CoroCoro, so it was really much much more than one a week for the duration of Sun and Moon's news cycle- it was a constant bombardment leading up to most of the game having been spoiled by official sources by release, hence why people have complained.

This time not only have they cut back too much on pokemon reveals, but they cut CoroCoro out of the loop entirely.

I think the actual rate of news drops this generation is good- two trailers a month is pretty reasonable- but they have definitely overcompensated by putting barely anything in those trailers. We could have probably used just a couple more Gigantamax forms in its initial reveal? And definitely one or two more new pokemon shown off during the ponyta stream. Also a look at Galarian Farfetch'd when Sirfetch'd was revealed (assuming that Galarian Farfetch'd exists).

In general, I think this news cycle would feel a bit fuller with maybe just one or two extra pokemon/forms per trailer. That or more of a look at the region itself- we've seen the first town over and over but barely any of the rest of it, and it wasn't until the embargo lifted that we even got the first town's name.

To be honest I think most people were pretty happy with the reveal up until august. That’s kinda when we stopped getting much new stuff (i think that’s the right timeline) since then we have mostly seen just gen 1 stuff. The two galarian forms. The gmax and the battle trailer. There has not been anything new really for a while. I think even a single new pokemon would make a huge difference. This embargo thing I think helped some, but everyone is itching for a new pokemon or even a character. This setup has not been too bad, but they should mix it up. Like if you got these a couple of months ago, and we just now got the polteagiest trailer I think it would break up better. There is really just nothing at the moment. It feels like we have not got anything new in many months.
I think you're over-inflating the significance of Gen 1 a bit- they could have shown us only Gen 2 variants and gigamax forms and it would still feel like very little news.

I think you're over-inflating the significance of Gen 1 a bit- they could have shown us only Gen 2 variants and gigamax forms and it would still feel like very little news.
I don’t understand what you mean? I was saying that all we have really seen since august is gen 1 stuff, and the battle trailer. We need a brand new pokemon or character or something. I wasn’t putting any signifigance on gen 1 just stating the news cycle, and that if they were going to show that stuff they should have done it directly after the gmax announcement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom