• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Leak Repository Thread (WARNING: Huge spoilers!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course it did, but it’s due to the complete turn around from Gen 7’s marketing approach, and the Dexit, more so then the strategy itself.

It’s a risky way to market games nowadays, but Pokémon is a brand strong enough to withstand this type of marketing campaign...and if the game are packed with content and are good to excellent, having this type of marketing campaign is better then having a full-on spoiler one like the one for SM.
People are just concerned that there maybe less new Pokemon and more Regional Variants (especially Kanto ones) within the finished game. However one interview did state that SwSh has more new Pokemon in it than in previous Gen games. Plus GF said that they've already reached passed 1000 Pokemon with new/Region Varients/Gigantamax.

Hopefully for new Pokemon, they could push Galar's new Pokemon count up to 200, reaching the 1000 Pokemon mark. (As long as that does not include Regional Varients)

I am not a gamer. I have other things to do with my free time, so I get one game to dabble with on occasion- for the rare few times I would use it to trade, $20 is not worth it to me. Getting a Switch just for Pokémon would be a ~$260-360 investment. With Switch Online, I would have invested $300-400 into a pokemon game in only two years.

They rotate the map for playability- it's just more functional to them that way.

And if they never listened to anyone or only cared about making money they wouldn't be doing this secretive news cycle in response to complaints about the over-revealing nature of last Gen.
Get a swith lite makes it a 100$ less or get a secondhand switch lite it would be cheaper... Also if you are willinh to invest 260-360$ for pokemon as you have said whats a 20$/year add to it? Not to mention the cost of pokehome too...

You can still decide to buy them later. It’s not like you’re forced to play only Pokémon if you’re original idea was to buy the Switch just for SwSh.
If playing pokemon is all you wanna do(not that I wanna endorse it) why not just dabble with emulators like yuzu if you really wanna experience it and still complain about the prices

I’m not sure if saying that there more new Pokémon in SwSh then previews games is just based on the fact that the early routes have quite a few new Pokémon in them (which is stated by multiple previews), or if there’s something they actually shown to them. We’ll see.

I don’t think we’ll get 200 new Pokémon even by counting Galarian forms, and I don’t think that number is necessary for having a good number of new Pokémon in Galar, though. It’s way too exaggerated in my opinion.

Because if you ever get the desire to play with others online, or trade online, you couldn’t.
I just dont see the point of complaining about a 20$/year online subscription if you dont even have the console yet... Also complaining about the subscription because you are just buying the console for just one game is just way stupid... the online subscription is not marketed that way... It is like saying it is way to expensive to buy an oven just to toast bread...

They might not even have Fossils, of Legendary Trio/Four, new Eeveelutions or any familiar thing since GF are striving to evolve as a franchise with something fresh and new (With Kanto pandered into it)

I might be wrong, but that's the sort of concern many have, even me. And that's from viewing them as a business, outside of the comfy bandwagon box.

They might not even have Fossils, of Legendary Trio/Four, new Eeveelutions or any familiar thing since GF are striving to evolve as a franchise with something fresh and new (With Kanto pandered into it)

I might be wrong, but that's the sort of concern many have, even me. And that's from viewing them as a business, outside of the comfy bandwagon box.
We didn’t get fossils last time as well, so it would be nothing new at this point.

The lack of secondary legendaries (if it’d happen) would mostly related to the criticism of too many special Pokémon in Gen 7.

Eeveelution not being in doesn’t make sense to me given how popular they are, but maybe they think Gigantamax Eevee can work on that point (which I disagree).

There are far more things that they can add however. I’d happily trade all of those for a large and meaningful postgame.

since GF are striving to evolve as a franchise with something fresh and new

Which is why they're going back to that gym formula they dropped last gen. Because nothing says evolving with something new than going back to an old feature that's been in place for almost 20 years. At any rate, I don't really see how SwSh evolving some means that it's going to completely abandon all past trends.

We didn’t get fossils last time as well, so it would be nothing new at this point.

And even then, there was a reason for that. The Hawaiian islands are relatively new in geographic terms, ≤5 million years, while all fossil Pokemon's real-world counterparts are 65 million years or older. The British Isles are far older and have a history with paleontology so I think there's a high likelihood we will see fossils come back.

The reason we didn't get fossils last time was probably due to Hawaii not being able to have any fossils due to the islands being volcanic.

Scotland and England on the other hand have a crap ton of fossils. So them bringing back the fossils makes sense. Maybe one of them is a literal dragon since they're what caused the dragon legends in the first place.

Eeveelutions and the legendary trio are still up in the air. But the fossils at least will probably return.

The lack of secondary legendaries (if it’d happen) would mostly related to the criticism of too many special Pokémon in Gen 7.

Eeveelution not being in doesn’t make sense to me given how popular they are, but maybe they think Gigantamax Eevee can work on that point (which I disagree).

There are far more things that they can add however. I’d happily trade all of those for a large and meaningful postgame.
For Johto and Alola not having Fossil Pokemon, it made sense, since Johto is connected to Kanto, and Alola being a newer landmass. If they do not put in fossils this time around, then that would be a missed opportunity, as the UK was where Dinosaurs first came to be known and named.

I suppose the reasoning could be that they've already more than enough Fossil Pokemon: 21

Eevee has 8 evolutions, and would be awkward to add an extra to the already settled pattern.

I am not a gamer. I have other things to do with my free time, so I get one game to dabble with on occasion- for the rare few times I would use it to trade, $20 is not worth it to me. Getting a Switch just for Pokémon would be a ~$260-360 investment. With Switch Online, I would have invested $300-400 into a pokemon game in only two years.

Yes :) :) I sometimes considered trying to get a Switch during this long lead up to Gen 8 but decided against it for similar reasons.

I am sure it would be fun to actually play this new game firsthand and maybe once Gen 4 remakes are confirmed i would? but, Switch games have been really satisfying to watch in youtube playthroughs, which does not require as much free time, although still using some. I am sure that will be very true for Sword and Shield! It is a lovely option for enjoying the game, even with that added intrigue of not knowing what choices the players will make!!

I just dont see the point of complaining about a 20$/year online subscription if you dont even have the console yet... Also complaining about the subscription because you are just buying the console for just one game is just way stupid... the online subscription is not marketed that way... It is like saying it is way to expensive to buy an oven just to toast bread...
it is when you could just buy a toaster, or just buy the bread already toasted (though you have to leave the house to get the pre-toasted bread)
It's one reason why they gave the pokemon skin to the SwitchLite opposed to the Switch. and how you can still do local trade without the online sub

I think of it in terms of making up for the price. If you play enough hours of SwSh, eventually you will get your money's worth. However, for some people, they may not make up the $20--and remember, unlike, SwSh and the Switch, you will have to continually pay to use the service. If you only have one game, and you don't use the online subscription all that much, it doesn't look worth it to some people, especially when contrasted with the past two generations where online service was free. And, as time moves on, this service will become obsolete far earlier than the actual game and system.

However, for some people, they may not make up the $20--and remember, unlike, SwSh and the Switch, you will have to continually pay to use the service. If you only have one game, and you don't use the online subscription all that much, it doesn't look worth it to some people, especially when contrasted with the past two generations where online service was free.

Ok, but if you're not planning on using the online services enough to warrant a $20 payment, don't buy a year's subscription. A single month is $4. Shell out less than the price of a Starbuck's coffee, grab the few trades you want or whatever, and then you don't have to worry about it. 12 months for the price of 5 single months is a really good offer, honestly.

Ok, but if you're not planning on using the online services enough to warrant a $20 payment, don't buy a year's subscription. A single month is $4. Shell out less than the price of a Starbuck's coffee, grab the few trades you want or whatever, and then you don't have to worry about it. 12 months for the price of 5 single months is a really good offer, honestly.

But that's kinda of a hassle and it also means that I cannot trade on a whim.

But that's kinda of a hassle and it also means that I cannot trade on a whim.

shrugs Welp, sounds like you'd just be stuck then. That's unfortunate. Personally, I'm excited enough to be able to Max raid with a friend that lives across the state and visit my friends' camps when we're not currently local to warrant a sub for me. Plus, if I end up breeding this Gen like I usually do, I'll need the new Wonder Trade to pass out all my extra 5-6IV, egg move, HA and sometimes shiny pokemon. That was one of my favorite things to do for the past couple gens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom