• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Leak Repository Thread (WARNING: Huge spoilers!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guess it’s time to probably move on, since I'll myself admit, it was a tangential bit that I felt needed addressing, but it taking up the sole focus of the thread isn’t ideal.

So... no leaks apart from that one credible one, and GameFreak decided to be not spoiler-y on the very game that needed spoilering and hype-building. I really don’t know what goes on the minds of GameFreak PR... because it isn’t really working. Sun/Moon had a lot of hype and didn't need bringing on everything on the table, whereas the first drought and the Dexit announcement has dulled the hype for the game. The recent trailer didn’t do much other than some people going gaga for Galarian Weezing.

And this is the first time we’ve got a game trailer to focus on random in-battle items, haven’t we? Sun/Moon was the game that needed such less-info trailers, not SwSh... That just felt irrelevant. I feel that GameFreak PR team is kinda out of touch.
It seems like the opposit has happened for SwSh. Whilst Sun and Moon had more trailers, Sword and Shield had less.

So... no leaks apart from that one credible one, and GameFreak decided to be not spoiler-y on the very game that needed spoilering and hype-building. I really don’t know what goes on the minds of GameFreak PR... because it isn’t really working. Sun/Moon had a lot of hype and didn't need bringing on everything on the table, whereas the first drought and the Dexit announcement has dulled the hype for the game. The recent trailer didn’t do much other than some people going gaga for Galarian Weezing.

And this is the first time we’ve got a game trailer to focus on random in-battle items, haven’t we? Sun/Moon was the game that needed such less-info trailers, not SwSh... That just felt irrelevant. I feel that GameFreak PR team is kinda out of touch.
Conspiracy theory: this makes me think that TPCi are forcing Game Freak to sabotage SwSh just so more people turn to Pokémon GO and Pokémon Masters.

Conspiracy theory: this makes me think that TPCi are forcing Game Freak to sabotage SwSh just so more people turn to Pokémon GO and Pokémon Masters.
Conspiracy Theory: they hate the UK. If so, then why are they making a game based on the UK in the first place. The quicker we sell that thing the better, so that we can focus more of our talents on Gen 9 based on Spain.

Guess it’s time to probably move on, since I'll myself admit, it was a tangential bit that I felt needed addressing, but it taking up the sole focus of the thread isn’t ideal.

Either that, or there's two other options, which are that there is not a lot of new content in these games or they're trying to please those who thought that SM revealed too much in its prerelease period.

Conspiracy Theory: they hate the UK. If so, then why are they making a game based on the UK in the first place. The quicker we sell that thing the better, so that we can focus more of our talents on Gen 9 based on Spain.
...what. Why base an entire region on a country you hate? What reason would they possibly have to hate the UK? Why rush an entire generation just bc you think they aren’t doing a good job marketing the first games? And there is no evidence that the next region will be in Spain yet so idk why you state that as if it’s fact.

...what. Why base an entire region on a country you hate? What reason would they possibly have to hate the UK? Why rush an entire generation just bc you think they aren’t doing a good job marketing the first games? And there is no evidence that the next region will be in Spain yet so idk why you state that as if it’s fact.
I Don't hate the UK, I happen to live in the UK, I just think TPCi hates the UK for some odd reason. Don't ask me why, perhaps it's something to do with Brexit.

That doesn’t even make sense, it’s so random... and GameFreak is a company. They won’t purposefully reduce profits by making a 'bad' game. I bet they probably don’t even care enough about Britain to love it or Hagen it.

If there’s a region they’d feel like purposefully sabotaging (even though I think it would take putting them at gunpoint to spoil a region) it’d be Kalos; Paris syndrome - Wikipedia (just a joke because the thing reminded me of Paris Syndrome).

I Don't hate the UK, I happen to live in the UK, I just think TPCi hates the UK for some odd reason. Don't ask me why, perhaps it's something to do with Brexit.
I don't think that they care about Brexit. They're literally opening a new Pokemon Center in London and London will also be the host city of next year's Worlds (which would be the first time that Worlds is ever held outside of North America). I don't think that TPCi hates the UK at all.

One of my friends theorized that this might be a jab at the whole FIfa scandal from a few years back; the corruption in soccer and all.

I don't think they're trying to sabotage these games in any way whatsoever for any reason- they want all of their games to get attention and turn out a profit, and they're surely not going to spend time, money and resources developing games with the soul purpose of making them not sell.

There is nothing inherently wrong with this current news cycle. It is actually much better than Sun and Moon's was, because the hype for Sun and Moon basically died right on release day. All those months of building hype and as soon as anyone got their hands on a game and was able to report that there was almost nothing left to discover in the game just insta-killed any excitement that anyone had. I think this approach is much better for post-release hype.

The problem is more that... the big reveals this gen aren't very wowing. Dynamax isn't the exciting mechanic that they want it to be. The more they showed of it, the less appealing it got. And an even bigger problem than that is Dexit, which just... yeah.

I think the news cycle this time around is perfect, but they're victim of the circumstance that is Dexit and the fact that their "big draw" is more just big and less draw.

All those months of building hype and as soon as anyone got their hands on a game and was able to report that there was almost nothing left to discover in the game just insta-killed any excitement that anyone had. I think this approach is much better for post-release hype.
Does anyone know, if this hurt sales?

I don't think it hurt sales at all, but there being nothing saved for discovery was a widespread gripe with the games. Gamefreak undoubtedly heard the gripe, and is just doing things differently now.

I think that would be hard to quantify? They would have to know how many people would have bought the games if things had happened differently, and that's hard to really put a number on. You can only really count the people who bought the games, not the people who would have but didn't for any specific reason.

I think it did kill perception of the games after release, though, and as game makers it was probably not fun to watch.

If anyone's sabotaging anything, it's Game Freak sabotaging Pokemon so they can just move on to something different; look at Town and then SwSh, and tell me which one they seem more excited about making. There's no way Nintendo would let TPC sabotage the main series so more people would play mobile games when they own 1/3+ of TPC and with mainline Pokemon being very important to their handheld sales.

Game Freak is counting on the games being so amazingly good that they sell by word of mouth alone.

Honestly, I hope they at least have a lot of Galarian formes to make up for Dexit.

If anyone's sabotaging anything, it's Game Freak sabotaging Pokemon so they can just move on to something different; look at Town and then SwSh, and tell me which one they seem more excited about making. There's no way Nintendo would let TPC sabotage the main series so more people would play mobile games when they own 1/3+ of TPC and with mainline Pokemon being very important to their handheld sales.
There's no real way of knowing which prospect they are more excited about but Ohmori seems to be really invested in SwSh so we shouldn't be making baseless assumtions about them trying to sabotage anything.

There's no real way of knowing which prospect they are more excited about but Ohmori seems to be really invested in SwSh so we shouldn't be making baseless assumtions about them trying to sabotage anything.
It's clear that GF favors Town over Sword and Shield, considering that most of GF's veteran staff is working on the former. They might essentially want to end Pokemon entirely so that they can instead completely focus on their Gear Project.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom