• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Leak Repository Thread (WARNING: Huge spoilers!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dexit, Moveit, no GTS, etc. I can understand. Although, I think the mentality of preemptively judging the game's content by watching what was essentially a speedrun doesn't do it justice nor that particular criticism. How about we save the reviewing until after the game has come out and one has actually played it?
It would be nice if the person reviewing the game is actually calm and doesn't fall in the "accentuate the negative" camp.

Some questions for you all:

1. What did you not like about the sun/moon era of games?

2. When looking at the gameplay leaks, do you think they fixed those problems in this new series of games?

• Took out the minigames in Pokemon amie
    • They're not back, but Camp has new ways to interact with Pokemon, and to see them interact together, so I'm content
  • I'm not bothered by the cutscenes, because I did love SuMo's story, but I never enjoy mandatory tutorials.
    • They don't seem to be removed.
  • Less stuff to do in the postgame. After the Looker missions, what is there to do but grind against the Elite Four and the Battle Buffet?
    • Doesn't seem to have been resolved-there's gym leader rematches, but it's not said whether they're repeatable or not, and there's no reports of much postgame beyond a Battle Tower.
  • Hated that colors were version exclusive for some customization
    • Don't know if it's been confirmed if they still are or not. Customization's definitely better, though.
  • Festival Plaza made player connectivity more complicated
    • It's now 20$ a year to connect and it seems to be worse, considering the removal of the GTS
  • Because of location-based evos, an early-game bug doesn't evolve until the last island.
    • Don't know if it's been changed.
  • Lost battle styles like Rotation and Triple.
    • Still not in SwSh, as far as I know.
  • Older Pokemon were too common.
    • Gameplay reports say they found new Pokemon all the time.
  • Lack of expression on the main character's face.
That's all I can think of right now that's specific to SuMo. I've got other complaints that are more about the franchise in general:
  • You often have to forgo a Pokemon you encountered in your story for a Pokemon if you want one competitively viable.
    • Bottle Caps improved on this last gen, and Mints further improve on it now. However, you still have to get a specific Pokemon to GMax.
  • Nicknames should be changable at all times.
  • Features will be removed and then discarded in the next games.
    • Still happening. Megas, Z-Moves, following Pokemon, soaring, Ball seals, difficulty options, secret bases, underground, super training...all gone. (also I looked again at that list of removed features from the reddit post and they included Mom's Bank-LMAO, as if anyone misses that)
  • Lack of lore for mythical distribution
    • Remains to be seen

The rest of my problems with SwSh (and the main ones that frustrate me) are added issues rather than things getting worse.
  • Dex cut
  • Price increase
  • Move cut (but you didn't cut out the dozens of unnecessary key items?)
  • Removing the choice of turning Exp Share on or off
  • Paywall for online

So...yeah. Overall (since I guess I might as well give my full assessment like this), I would think SwSh was doing perfectly all right were it not for the cuts and price increases. I wouldn't say it was making full use of Pokemon's potential, because there would still be all of our missing things, but I'd say it was making the same growth I expect and appreciate out of a new gen-fun Pokemon, region, and characters, graphic improvement, fleshing out some established mechanics like customization and affection, and adding something interesting and original, like the Wild Area. (and sort of DMax/GMax-I'm split on my opinion there) But standard progress isn't quite enough for me to want to pay 20$ more, and it's definitely not enough when there's a lot being cut.

Wonder if we can turn off music in the games.
I get that that's a staple video game option but...why would you want to? Pokemon doesn't have much else going on in the sound department.

• Took out the minigames in Pokemon amie
    • They're not back, but Camp has new ways to interact with Pokemon, and to see them interact together, so I'm content
  • I'm not bothered by the cutscenes, because I did love SuMo's story, but I never enjoy mandatory tutorials.
    • They don't seem to be removed.
  • Less stuff to do in the postgame. After the Looker missions, what is there to do but grind against the Elite Four and the Battle Buffet?
    • Doesn't seem to have been resolved-there's gym leader rematches, but it's not said whether they're repeatable or not, and there's no reports of much postgame beyond a Battle Tower.
  • Hated that colors were version exclusive for some customization
    • Don't know if it's been confirmed if they still are or not. Customization's definitely better, though.
  • Festival Plaza made player connectivity more complicated
    • It's now 20$ a year to connect and it seems to be worse, considering the removal of the GTS
  • Because of location-based evos, an early-game bug doesn't evolve until the last island.
    • Don't know if it's been changed.
  • Lost battle styles like Rotation and Triple.
    • Still not in SwSh, as far as I know.
  • Older Pokemon were too common.
    • Gameplay reports say they found new Pokemon all the time.
  • Lack of expression on the main character's face.
That's all I can think of right now that's specific to SuMo. I've got other complaints that are more about the franchise in general:
  • You often have to forgo a Pokemon you encountered in your story for a Pokemon if you want one competitively viable.
    • Bottle Caps improved on this last gen, and Mints further improve on it now. However, you still have to get a specific Pokemon to GMax.
  • Nicknames should be changable at all times.
  • Features will be removed and then discarded in the next games.
    • Still happening. Megas, Z-Moves, following Pokemon, soaring, Ball seals, difficulty options, secret bases, underground, super training...all gone. (also I looked again at that list of removed features from the reddit post and they included Mom's Bank-LMAO, as if anyone misses that)
  • Lack of lore for mythical distribution
    • Remains to be seen
The rest of my problems with SwSh (and the main ones that frustrate me) are added issues rather than things getting worse.
  • Dex cut
  • Price increase
  • Move cut (but you didn't cut out the dozens of unnecessary key items?)
  • Removing the choice of turning Exp Share on or off
  • Paywall for online
So...yeah. Overall (since I guess I might as well give my full assessment like this), I would think SwSh was doing perfectly all right were it not for the cuts and price increases. I wouldn't say it was making full use of Pokemon's potential, because there would still be all of our missing things, but I'd say it was making the same growth I expect and appreciate out of a new gen-fun Pokemon, region, and characters, graphic improvement, fleshing out some established mechanics like customization and affection, and adding something interesting and original, like the Wild Area. (and sort of DMax/GMax-I'm split on my opinion there) But standard progress isn't quite enough for me to want to pay 20$ more, and it's definitely not enough when there's a lot being cut.

I get that that's a staple video game option but...why would you want to? Pokemon doesn't have much else going on in the sound department.

I was asking because there’s apparently no music in the postgame, which is uh....concerning, to say the least.

Was just wondering, since it’d be extremely offputting to have a huge battle in the postgame without music.

This is why I don't go on reddit for Pokemon stuff tbh. Yeah, there's problems and Game Freak really needs to listen to their fans, but they're trying way too hard to tell people not to like these games or even support them. Reddit has been doing this the whole news cycle.
The last paragraph in that reddit thread was unneeded, but I felt it was a good sum up of various people's grievances with the games. It’d have been a perfectly fine thread but it went into dictating people's preferences...

Personally I do see faults in the game, I may not like them but I should be allowed to voice them and similarly those who like the games should be allowed to voice that, too. No one should be told to either "Get over it, you’ll buy the games anyway." (I got told that) or "You shouldn’t buy the games."

------*--*---

The post game battle doesn’t have music? Wtf? And USUM had better cutscenes than the moonwalking wolves.

Some questions for you all:

1. What did you not like about the sun/moon era of games?

2. When looking at the gameplay leaks, do you think they fixed those problems in this new series of games?

1. I don't have that many complaints other than: 1.) I didn't like how some Pokemon were locked behind trials. You want a Mimikyu? Too bad, got to beat a giant Mimikyu first! And 2.) Pretty much what everyone else has pointed out about the tutorials and assuming I didn't know what I was doing.

2. Well, there's no trials, so I can catch all the Mimikyu I want now. And it's been confirmed that they have, even if it's just a little bit.

It would be nice if the person reviewing the game is actually calm and doesn't fall in the "accentuate the negative" camp.
Shield leaker was. People were making fun of them for saying that they were a fan of the game and liked it.

That thread linked to the USUM cutscenes and I remembered that they actually look beautiful. I hope SwSh has such cutscenes too. I won’t give a final verdict on them since I’ve only seen the initial playthrough (<1gym) but the Zacian/Zamazenta cutscenes don’t give me much hope.

On a side note (story spoiler, positive comment) Did anyone else love the howling music (maybe mashup of the wolf cries?) that played when Hop and the Player encounter the mascot in the beginning and their attacks don’t hit?!

TL;DR of the image: asset importer broke, rigs were messed up, gamefreak didn't have the dev knowledge or staff to fix it in time, so they decided to exclude old pokemon and spin it as something intentional because anything otherwise would be them basically admitting that this was a failed generation. They plan on bringing back the nat dex in the next game/gen when the asset importer is fixed and spinning it as a "we listened to you all" moment.

Sorry, I'm a bit behind and catching up but also calling BS on this one. It definitely sounds like a theory playing out and making it line up after the fact - the "oh but they might not bring back all the Pokémon later after all" line towards the end really made it lose all credibility to me.

The cynic in me did wonder if they say the massively positive reaction to the Smash ultimate announcement of all previous characters to be included and wanted to get the same but could only achieve it next gen by making Sword and Shield sacrificial lambs to make it happen. But I really don't believe that.

The more I look at the changes this gen the more I think it's connected to competitive play and perhaps wanting to appeal more to the general esports market. I'm not a competitive player at all so I'm only basing it on comments I've read from competitive players and I can see them posting both positive and negative things about this gen, but from the outside it just feels like it might have at least been part of the decision.

Thats not to say that dev issues weren't involved but it just feels likely to me that it was part of some of the really controversial changes this gen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom