• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Leak Repository Thread (WARNING: Huge spoilers!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
wonders, will they get to the point of not making new pokemon to help appease the fans and work on trying to keep all pokemon in whatever future games?
I know it sounds crazy but eh..
perhaps they will change up the games alot more if they did. new pokemon is a strong selling point... and i know it won't really appease fans but eh..
Really doubt it. Wouldn't make sense in any aspect- new pokemon are a strong selling point, they're the highlight of getting a new generation, and most importantly- they sell merchandise.

I'm simultaneously excited for gen 9 but also "ugh" about it.

I don't want the dex backlash to send the message to gf that "oh if we make the dex bigger and focus even more on older pokemon then everything will be fine", so I am kinda glad that the dex cuts angered people enough to make them more critical of things that (imo) are bigger issues in the games.

I feel like the nature of the backlash will prevent gen 9 from being something akin to Ruby/Sapphire/Black/White (a soft reboot of sorts, but not as extreme as BW) which in my opinion we are in need for. They will probably expand the dex and focus on old pokemon again and spin it like "lots of your old favorites are back in the games!!! enjoy new forms for them!!"

I'm trying to process all this information about the thinking behind Game Freak's decisions behind this game. Yet it just feels so complicated about what's going on, that it's so hard to find a starting point.

First, I keep wondering what it would take to encourage the franchise to make a top tier Pokemon game that ranks among the heights of its previous titles, like HGSS, Platinum and BW/BW2. Does Game Freak know how good its past games were gameplay wise? Did they really honestly believe that Sword/Shield were designed to be superior compared to them?

Of course, then there's all the interference factors going on from The Pokemon Company, Nintendo, Outsourcing, and Management. It feels so weird that even with billions of dollars in the franchise, such money isn't invested so much into making a high-standard game. I suppose the lack of competition could be part of it, and the games still sell regardless of quality. Like, do Gamefreak's affiliates want a top class game as well?

Then there's the way the franchise is handling the fan base. They seem so adamant about their decisions, and almost always make and support statements that nothing they did was wrong. Worse, there's so much lack of transparency about certain features like Pokemon home, which would actually help calm the fanbase quite a lot - And instead they're literally doing everything in their power spite much of the dissenting fans and fanning the flames.

I just don't get this strategy if their motive was to making a top class Pokemon game from any of this. It sounds more like a strategy in playing political games with with the fanbase to justify keeping the status quo, staying on a yearly schedule to spawn "just good enough" titles, and not taking much monetary punishment.

...My head just hurts thinking about all of this.

well, the dex will eventually need attention because of the sheer number. As for SwSh, they are just implementing it early.
so you guys think they should hire more people? how much hiring would be too much for profit?
Or do you guys think that maybe someone in the background will buy them that have better skills and can handle their sources better?

just curious because I don't like the cut either but I completely understand the cut..

For a company with billions in sales, and a considerably smaller team than other franchises, I don't think hiring more people would be a problem for profit, but I also think that we could probably have a full dex if given another year for development, instead of doing annual releases.

well, the dex will eventually need attention because of the sheer number. As for SwSh, they are just implementing it early.
so you guys think they should hire more people? how much hiring would be too much for profit?
Or do you guys think that maybe someone in the background will buy them that have better skills and can handle their sources better?

just curious because I don't like the cut either but I completely understand the cut..

To me, the best thing for the franchise is for Game Freak to become part of the official development team of Nintendo, instead of being a third party - so to get coached with better game development practices. This would mean Game Freak's workers would still be making the games, but Nintendo can add much more support, change and influence to the actual game standards.

Last edited:
Most first entries of new consoles tend to have some flaws, after all. For example, DP were plagued by obnoxious backtracking and had issues like long saving times.

I replayed Diamond around a month ago and had completely forgotten about the save time. It was quite shocking when playing it for the first time in years. Funny how nostalgia can effect your memory.

To me, the best thing for the franchise is for Game Freak to become part of the official development team of Nintendo, instead of being a third party - so to get coached with better game development practices. This would mean Game Freak's workers would still be making the games, but Nintendo can add much more support, change and influence to the actual game standards.
this makes sense. but it appears with little town hero that gamefreak wants to be independent.

61 thousand messages on this forum alone for people using the GTS to trade. The GTS had far more purpose than just ridiculous requests. It was the only way to plan a trade with someone that you couldn't meet up with in person.
The amount of Pokemon I got in Apricorn Balls thanks to trading on the GTS was great. I was praying that we'd get Apricorn Balls so we could catch all of the new Pokemon in them and be able to breed and trade with them all via the GTS or Wonder Trade. Of course, Reddit, these forums, and other places online can be used but GTS is a great way for breeders to trade Pokemon/fill out their dex.

this makes sense. but it appears with little town hero that gamefreak wants to be independent.

I mean, workers from Game freak could still branch out within nintendo to make smaller titles. I recall "The Stretchers" being a small indie-like title released in Nintendo last week.

Does anyone have the picture of the Grapploct with the open mouth? I saw it somewhere on Resetera or here, but I can't remember which thread or which page.

I mean, workers from Game freak could still branch out within nintendo to make smaller titles. I recall "The Stretchers" being a small indie-like title released in Nintendo last week.
makes you wonder what is causing the stand still.

How good is Cursola competitively? She's precious and planning to use her.

I replayed Diamond around a month ago and had completely forgotten about the save time. It was quite shocking when playing it for the first time in years. Funny how nostalgia can effect your memory.

Surf speed too.

aaah I found Grapploct with his mouth open; just google-image Grapploct.

The problem is that the producer of the Sonic movies knew that if they didn’t change Sonic’s appearance, the movies would’ve been a flop (although I still don’t understand how on earth they thought the original design would’ve been liked by the fans).

For Pokémon, the games so far sold a lot regardless of what they did. They need a legitimal drop in sales for them (meaning everyone involved in Pokémon, because I’m quite sure Nintendo knows exactly how the games are going to be released and gave the okay), to change directions or put more resources in development.
Yes yet some fansites and fans think that everything GF do is god holy... They even go the #ThankYouGameFreak and #IStandWithSerebii the first one I could understand but the second one nope!

How good is Cursola competitively? She's precious and planning to use her.

You'll definitely need a Trick Room setter to make up for its super low Speed, and while it doesn't get anything that'll actually help cover for its Dark-type weakness (outside of two Physical Bug moves for some reason) it does have a nice variety of Special moves to make up for it. It being physically frail is a bit disappointing, since Perish Body is actually a really neat ability that I'd love to see on a tankier 'mon in the future.

:O oh my goodness! Since I am getting sword I broke down and looked up my corsola baby, and what on earth did they do to her!? She looks so...funky and not adorable. I’m actually ok not having her...is she even gonna be able to move? It will be super interesting to see if they put it in the anime.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom