• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Leak Repository Thread (WARNING: Huge spoilers!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Or c), the Famitsu interview was poorly translated. It's still frustrating-there's even less reason to cut Pokemon when you're using old models, and it just further shows how poorly the communication was on the issue. (Like Masuda's statement that didn't say anything, or how apparently this wasn't explained much to the Japanese audience) But we don't have to brand Ohmori a liar for it.
Serebii had the article ran by a professional/native JPN translator at the time, they indeed meant scratch/very close to scratch

neat! they'd've been made by the same people (or team/group) that made them the first time though so i'm sure whatever modelers' experiences you're pulling from aren't quite applicable

right now it's certainly doable. they're simply ripping off a bandaid, however.

I meant to say, that I've never seen anyone remake their own models point for point. :p

Maybe we’ll get a third version with all the improvements fans want? Like I don’t know how hard it is to include all Pokémon? Is it really not doable like they claim it is? I wish I could ask someone who works in animation or something. I am curious.
I think balance is a legitimate issue and some pokemon (note: not all) were cut because they would have been unbalanced if used with Dynamax.

Take Blissey for example- at Dynamax's lowest level apparently it would get 1.5x HP. Blissey with a base HP stat of 255. That brings it up to over 380. And unlike Wobbuffet, who did make it into Sword and Shield and is one of the highest with 190 HP, it actually has a pretty lengthy movepool of attacks that can do damage- four potential damage-dealing Max Moves. Whereas Dynamax Wobbuffet struts in with 285 HP (100 less than Blissey) but only two Max Moves capable of dealing damage.

Honestly? I really hope it serves as a form of a wake up call to higher ups at TCPI that yearly Pokemon releases are a mistake, or to at least let flagship titles for generations have a longer gestation period. I firmly believe that SwSh would have gotten so much more polished if they had worked on it for another year. I know they need to keep the wheels churning for other aspects of the franchise, but I know they can find ways to prolong the lifespan of a Generation, at least they can afford to do it.
I know right? I miss how Generation IV was effectively four years long. We got some great games during that period (that were pretty fleshed out) and the time-frame allowed for Generation V to be all the more substantial with its animation, story, gameplay-changes, and so on (for that time anyway). This new business model of chucking mainline games every 1.5-2 years isn't a great idea at all: I don't mind waiting for something good.

"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad."
-
Shigeru Miyamoto

I meant to say, that I've never seen anyone remake their own models point for point. :p
i mean, surely the environments and conditions would be different. love to see some of the examples though, because it doesn't seem like there's a huge market on YouTube for people exactly replicating (or attempting to, apparently) their own models.

TPCi'd love to take your wake up call but they're too busy counting their money from merchandise sales (let alone whatever Masters and Go are bringing in)
Despite what TCPi, and I guess you as well, don't want to believe, these games serve as a launchpad for other aspects of the franchise. They're what introduces the fanbase to new Pokemon, which proceed to generate interest in what merchandise to promote. It doesn't matter if it's the TCG or plushies or figures; the games set the tone and are what fans use to determine what will and won't sell well.
The anime does not draw the same audience that it once did twenty years ago, it would be a nightmare to introduce new designs through it outside of teasers for future games. Maybe their third party games could try to serve as that platform, but that would be difficult in its own right.
Masters is not a popular game. It had a strong start, but has floundered hard and has been slowly recovering since. Maybe Go could serve as a platform, but it's still hard to determine if it'll be a stable space. Yes, we had Meltan and Melmetal introduced through Go, but they very much served as a means to market Let's Go, a set of games which were very clearly considered part of the mainline series until both its reception and poor performance showed TCPi that it might not work well. I'd be shocked (not negatively) if we ever see a new Pokemon introduced through Go again. At least in the foreseeable future.
Mainline games are a staple of this franchise, and they're vital towards keeping the ecosystem of the franchise healthy and thriving.

Last edited:
i mean, surely the environments and conditions would be different. love to see some of the examples though, because it doesn't seem like there's a huge market on YouTube for people exactly replicating (or attempting to, apparently) their own models.
Because exact replicating is needlessly tedious. The only way that it would make sense to do that would be if they were essentially "tracing" the original work- and if they're doing that, then the wireframe is already in the program and why bother trying to replicate it when it's already there?

Not to say that I think they're liars- I just think that whatever Ohmori was trying to say was not conveyed well.

As I understand it, it would be less about recreating the models themselves and more about textures, light maps, as well as any complications that might come with trying to bring the assets onto the Switch hardware, no? At least, here's one game developer's take.

I know right? I miss how Generation IV was effectively four years long. We got some great games during that period (that were pretty fleshed out)

Though to be fair, it started out with a pair of games that, even delayed, were still rife with performance issues. GF's first efforts on a system are rarely their strongest.

and the time-frame allowed for Generation V to be all the more substantial with its animation, story, gameplay-changes, and so on (for that time anyway)

Similarly, I would question whether that's due more to DP releasing when it did or to BW being made for a system that they had three games' worth of development experience on.

How? Can they add the remaining Pokémon?
Hypothetically, yes. Just look at the Welcome Amiibo update of ACNL. They added updated and new villagers that weren't in the code of the original base game. If it's possible on the 3DS, it's more than possible on the Switch if they do reverse their decision after the backlash it caused.

Hypothetically, yes. Just look at the Welcome Amiibo update of ACNL. They added updated and new villagers that weren't in the code of the original base game. If it's possible on the 3DS, it's more than possible on the Switch if they do reverse their decision after the backlash it caused.

Even if the future turns out bright, and they do reverse their decision...I'll never place my full trust them again. Or any company, for that matter, even ones that haven't given me cause to distrust them. I'll always watch my back from here on, and I hope everyone else learns to do the same.

As I understand it, it would be less about recreating the models themselves and more about textures, light maps, as well as any complications that might come with trying to bring the assets onto the Switch hardware, no? At least, here's one game developer's take.
Thank you for linking that. It was a very informative read! =)

Even if the future turns out bright, and they do reverse their decision...I'll never place my full trust them again. Or any company, for that matter, even ones that haven't given me cause to distrust them. I'll always watch my back from here on, and I hope everyone else learns to do the same.
XD ...to be honest, this seems like an over-reaction.

It seems to me that's primarily a guess answer, though-more "this could be an explanation" than anything else.
there’s a very good chance that the stuff that worked on the old platform will no longer work without a ton of work on the new. It might be because the new hardware handles shaders or normal maps completely differently than others. It might be because the Switch uses different hardware for lighting calculations than the 3DS. It might be because the old assets had baked-in lighting because the 3DS couldn’t do dynamic lighting, so pokemon now need a light map in order to look right on the new.
And if it was, that still wouldn't explain the Kanto cuts-they made it on the Switch, so their models have been set to work with any new complications.
TBH, trusting a company is never a good idea to begin with, for reasons far more serious than dex cuts.

From what I've been seeing and the company's attitude towards criticism, maybe we need to restylize the name of the company to gamE freAk. Leaving aside the infamous cuts themselves, even you completely ignored that, there's so much else that's Bad about it that it feels like it's become about that level of rushed-out-the-door quality.

This is purely speculation on my end, but I'm starting to think that balancing really was an issue, not in terms of "this Pokemon is overpowered and we want it removed", but instead in terms of rebalancing things. While every gen tends to have movepool changes and slight tweaks, we've seen Pokemon take much more interest in trying to balance the meta lately-first we had Gen 6 introducing Fairy to try to nerf Dragon, the first new types since 1999, then we had Gen 7 with its host of move updates and BST changes, the first gen to change the stats of old Pokemon if I'm not mistaken. (We even had our first "Game Design Balancing" team credited for SuMo, and a Battle Planning team.) And now we have Gen 8 arriving with the first official online ranking, with even more reason to create a balanced metagame. Seeing as our balancing team consists of only four people, it does make sense that it would be difficult to try to balance the entire dex, especially since new Pokemon wouldn't be ready to test out until later in development, and this would explain why a Pokemon whose model has been set up for the Switch is still absent from SwSh.

I still don't think it was worth the cut- I would have much preferred longer dev time, more staff, or just keeping foreign Pokemon out of online play if necessary. But it's another possible factor, at least, and one where I can actually see new content directly tied to it. It might even explain the "redesign Pokemon from scratch" comment-maybe it was in reference to their battle traits, not their models?

the first gen to change the stats of old Pokemon if I'm not mistaken

Gen 6 actually did that first, although it wasn't as liberal with the adjustments. At that time, they only gave +10 in a single stat, except for Pikachu (who got +10 in two stats).

But yeah, Masuda did mention game balance as a reason for the cuts as well:
"There are a couple of different parts to the thinking behind it, but really the biggest reason for it is just the sheer number of Pokemon. We already have well over 800 Pokemon species, and there’s going to be more added in these games. And now that they’re on the Nintendo Switch, we’re creating it with much higher fidelity with higher quality animations. But even more than that, it’s coming down to the battle system. We’re making sure we can keep everything balanced and give all the Pokemon that appear in the games a chance to shine."

Last edited:
This is purely speculation on my end, but I'm starting to think that balancing really was an issue, not in terms of "this Pokemon is overpowered and we want it removed", but instead in terms of rebalancing things. While every gen tends to have movepool changes and slight tweaks, we've seen Pokemon take much more interest in trying to balance the meta lately-first we had Gen 6 introducing Fairy to try to nerf Dragon, the first new types since 1999, then we had Gen 7 with its host of move updates and BST changes, the first gen to change the stats of old Pokemon if I'm not mistaken. (We even had our first "Game Design Balancing" team credited for SuMo, and a Battle Planning team.) And now we have Gen 8 arriving with the first official online ranking, with even more reason to create a balanced metagame. Seeing as our balancing team consists of only four people, it does make sense that it would be difficult to try to balance the entire dex, especially since new Pokemon wouldn't be ready to test out until later in development, and this would explain why a Pokemon whose model has been set up for the Switch is still absent from SwSh.

I still don't think it was worth the cut- I would have much preferred longer dev time, more staff, or just keeping foreign Pokemon out of online play if necessary. But it's another possible factor, at least, and one where I can actually see new content directly tied to it. It might even explain the "redesign Pokemon from scratch" comment-maybe it was in reference to their battle traits, not their models?
It's something I've been thinking of myself and even though this is going to sound naggy, I'm not too happy about it.
From my perspective, starting slowly with gen 6, Pokémon is tailored more and more specifically to two target audiences - competitive players and kids. Both have in common that they'd "need" a relatively simple main story (competitive players to be able to get through it relatively fast and start the breeding, training, getting access to all TMs and so on) and kids because Game Freak thinks kids have the attention span of a goldfish thanks to mobile games.
It's started with the Exp Share, simplifying breeding of competitive 'mons, simplifying EV training, and so on and so forth. You get the gist.
Gen 7 took further steps, and gen 8 is taking it even further.

By no means I'm saying that they shouldn't care about the competitive side, but I'm just really not fond of buying a game which is made to have me either be as incompetent as GF seems to think kids are or play the game competitively.
I'm not really expecting an amazing plot from any Pokémon game, nor the best graphics and it doesn't have to be painfully difficult. But I'd like a decent middleground, not practically simplifying the singleplayer part along with the other things just in favor of the competitive side & kids/newcomers.

Has been said a lot, but having difficulties could easily fix this. Full teams for all gym leaders, E4, rivals (after a certain point) and champ and a smarter AI for a hard mode, for example.

But as things stand now, if you really just play Pokémon for the sake of playing the game on your own (not competitively) and aren't a kid, you mainly have to make sacrifices and it really just kinda sucks. On the bright side, it did spark up my love for Digimon again, so there's that I guess lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom