• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Leak Repository Thread (WARNING: Huge spoilers!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps you're right. I'm...sorry. I know I've been ranting a lot and being very emotional; it must be annoying.
At the end of the day it's a game one mainly aimed at kid. Getting extremely emotional over it is not worth it. There are things I'm not happy about (the animation stuff and the technical stuff are things I dont really care about) honestly I really dislike the dex size and the removal of certain moves. But at the end of the day I know I'll have a blast.

I just see SwSh as major growing pains the first games on a new system always struggled R/S literally made it impossible to get a large portion of the dex. D/P had A LOT of technical issues (god it was slow) and had a godawful dex (seriously only two fire type lines and one ie a starter?) and X/Y were pretty basic.

SwSh and LG were developed at the same time plus this is their first console game growing Paine are expected

Maybe we’ll get a third version with all the improvements fans want? Like I don’t know how hard it is to include all Pokémon? Is it really not doable like they claim it is? I wish I could ask someone who works in animation or something. I am curious.

I dont know of we'll get a third version I mean we got move tutors (via TR's) and Eternius already plays a role in the story things usually reserved for 3rd versions

And if it was, that still wouldn't explain the Kanto cuts-they made it on the Switch, so their models have been set to work with any new complications.
Kanto cuts are easy to explain- they're not in the region. Between not having time to work on all of the models and having to cut some for balance issues, they simply trimmed the models down to the ones that they wanted to be available in the game and left everything not planned to ever be included out. Including models that were already just about ready to go. This falls in line with their new policy and exemplifies what their intended practice will be going forward. Plus some Kanto pokemon have Johto and Sinnoh evolutions that might not have been done yet- or like Chansey and Blissey most likely cut for balance reasons.

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/pokemon/comments/dvimmr/leak_confirmed_models_are_reused/

I'm not surprised at all about this, but I recall some oddly vague translated interview months ago about the models being """"""remade"""""" by Game Freak.

...Ooof. :/

A question from someone without much experience on it, wouldn’t the triangle count being different (varying from very little for Clefairy to more for Bulbasaur and Noivern) means that the models have been touched upon.

Whether it’s a modification or a full remodel it’s up to someone clearly more expert then me. I do believe that they were only touched, but that’s also because the models appeared to look the same whenever we saw them in trailers and such. The defense was that even if looking the same it didn’t mean they weren’t worked over from scratch, so the fact that the triangle count is different, wouldn’t still support their theory?

Quality animations

The game is only 1 sleep away now, there isn't anything left to reveal, I've avoided all story spoilers, and some of y'all are being real fucking negative. Time for me to close this tab on my phone for the first time in almost 2 years. See y'all probably in February when we have something new to talk about.

Have fun playing Sword and Shield everyone. ❤

I’m not going to read everything they said on this post, because while they have a point on issues, they straight out lies on post game content, since gym rematches and champion challenges are in.
Reddit has been too in your face about some of this stuff and its annoying honestly. They're pretty much telling us don't enjoy these games or support Game Freak.

Reddit has been too in your face about some of this stuff and its annoying honestly. They're pretty much telling us don't enjoy these games or support Game Freak.
I think it's fine and fair to explain and show if a games has problems and issues, as well as criticizing, and 'warning' people about it. Not in the way that post did, if there are other half-hassed truths about it. Expecially because given that there are problems, glitches and bugs in the games, there's no need to exaggerate or lie about it.

I know right? I miss how Generation IV was effectively four years long. We got some great games during that period (that were pretty fleshed out) and the time-frame allowed for Generation V to be all the more substantial with its animation, story, gameplay-changes, and so on (for that time anyway). This new business model of chucking mainline games every 1.5-2 years isn't a great idea at all: I don't mind waiting for something good.

"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad."
-
Shigeru Miyamoto

Thanks, I was looking for that famous quote. It really fits with these games and what appears to be a rushed development. Im still not sure whether I will get Sword or not, despite being a diehard Zacian supporter. I just don't want to be one of those people that beta-tests the games at release. When I buy a game, I want to be absolutely sure the game is that good to get for the price they ask.

If Smash Bros Ultimate can do it, why can't Pokémon? Heck, Nintendo even delayed Animal Crossing to 2020 to get its development right for the fans.

The only reason I'm even considering of getting the game is because I got some spare cash to spend, as well a coupon, allowing me to get the game 10 euros cheaper.

Last edited:
I’m not going to read everything they said on this post, because while they have a point on issues, they straight out lies on post game content, since gym rematches and champion challenges are in.
Then I'll answer the claims, based on what I've seen in streams and so on.

1. The number of usable Pokemon has been cut.
Yes, that's fair. And I'm not fond of it either.

2 Just like the Pokemon cut, about 144 moves were removed.
I'm not too fond of this either but, in all honesty, I do wonder how long it would've taken me personally to notice the cut moves... And a lot of them were also quite gimicky or unnecessary, so I wouldn't say an all unreasonable cut.

3. Short Game
From what I've seen, most beat the game in about 20 hours and nobody really bothered to do the RPG typical thing of exploring, going into strangers' houses, talking to every NPC, ... According to howlongtobeat, most Pokémon games have an average time of about 30 hours for the main story, and personally my average was along those lines (sometimes a bit below) with talking to everyone. So I'd assume it's about as short as every other Pokémon game.
Let's see about the length once people actually play it casually, and not just stream it for attention before release, maybe.

4. The graphics are extremely mediocre.
I think that can be agreed on, but while watching the gameplay, it literally did not bother me. At all. So I wouldn't say they're too bad.

5. There's constant graphical issues.
Again something I hardly noticed/wasn't really bothered by. Still, fair point.

6. Animations [...] are as shoddy as ever.
Why did we expect anything other than "as ever"? It's still Pokémon, it's still Game Freak. Not meaning it as excuse, it's still a fair point but at least new animations, like Pyro Ball, look pretty cool.

7. Cutscenes and restrictions
Soooo we have more cutscenes that drag on than previous games, but the game is a lot shorter? That doesn't add up, like, at all. Haven't seen enough yet to judge this, though.

8. The difficulty
You can OHKO a gym leader's Pokémon with a 4x effective move? From a starter that's not that bad stats-wise? Oh my, that's about as much of a fair point as people claiming the game is too easy because they OHKO the first gym leader - because none of us ever OHKO'd Brock's Onix, right?
I don't think the difficulty is that much worse (read: easier) as it was in gen 6 or 7. But again, nothing I can judge before playing myself.

9. Post-Game is almost non-existant.
There is some stuff, but imo, they could have tried harder than "Wild Area is 90% of the post-game. Have fun!" so halfway fair point imo.

10. Problems with game design and behavior
So it would be better if you could catch a lv 50 Pokémon from the Wild Area right of the bat and use it to get through the game? And that wouldn't get the complaint of "TOO EASY!!11!!"?
And also, it's bad game design to let shiny status be determined on encounter? You'd really prefer to run through the Wild Area, see a shiny and just watch someone encounter it before you do? Game Freak may do really bad game design decisions, I won't argue that, but in this case the complaint is plain stupid.

11. Removed past features with virtually no new additions
Didn't mention curry, news for customization, re-adding the bike, etc.

12. No GTS
Fair point. But already claiming it to be to force people to pay for Home is not a fair point when literally nothing about Home is known yet.

13. A 20 dollar price increase
Oh wow, really? That argument again? I'm not sure Game Freak decides the prices, complain about those to Nintendo.

14. Performance
Nothing I can judge without playing by myself.

15. Game-breaking bugs
You mean the game that most people currently play via rom has game-breaking bugs? Before release? My, how shocking. I'll ignore that one, really.

I'm definitely not the biggest fan of Game Freak, the current direction or Sword/Shield but these complaints were veeeery cherry-picking and exaggerated.

I really love the howls in the music!

Who the heck even translated them as being remade? I want to kick them in the balls.
That’s the correct translation though, pointed out by multiple native Japanese at this point.

Also where is the Yakuza video that showed that even Sega reuses their wireframes?
They didn’t claim to recreate the models though.

Can we please not reduce everyone expressing their criticism to "whining"? Many people post well thought out and fair post and I don’t find it good to label as whining. It’s no different to labelling anyone who likes the game as a "Gamefreak shill."

This is purely speculation on my end, but I'm starting to think that balancing really was an issue, not in terms of "this Pokemon is overpowered and we want it removed", but instead in terms of rebalancing things. While every gen tends to have movepool changes and slight tweaks, we've seen Pokemon take much more interest in trying to balance the meta lately-first we had Gen 6 introducing Fairy to try to nerf Dragon, the first new types since 1999, then we had Gen 7 with its host of move updates and BST changes, the first gen to change the stats of old Pokemon if I'm not mistaken. (We even had our first "Game Design Balancing" team credited for SuMo, and a Battle Planning team.) And now we have Gen 8 arriving with the first official online ranking, with even more reason to create a balanced metagame. Seeing as our balancing team consists of only four people, it does make sense that it would be difficult to try to balance the entire dex, especially since new Pokemon wouldn't be ready to test out until later in development, and this would explain why a Pokemon whose model has been set up for the Switch is still absent from SwSh.

I still don't think it was worth the cut- I would have much preferred longer dev time, more staff, or just keeping foreign Pokemon out of online play if necessary. But it's another possible factor, at least, and one where I can actually see new content directly tied to it. It might even explain the "redesign Pokemon from scratch" comment-maybe it was in reference to their battle traits, not their models?
I’d find that reasonable, but I find it really hard to believe since it’s oddly a pattern at this point- they seem to release at least one higher power levels than Arceus Pokémon every generation- Ultra Necrozma, Mega Rayquaza, the Mega Mewtwo, Eternatus. Even Zacian/Zamazenta and the primals are up to that level. They seem to be contributing to the issue every game.

I saw a video idk if it's true, but game freak messed up with importing the models, that is why there are so less pkempn in the game, and to save their skin, they used PR to say that there won't be all the Pokémon in future games. Because admitting their mistake and say that is this gen is a horrible, won't be acceptable. That is why there were 300 extra, people, because they couldn't fix it otherwise.

I saw a video idk if it's true, but game freak messed up with importing the models, that is why there are so less pkempn in the game, and to save their skin, they used PR to say that there won't be all the Pokémon in future games. Because admitting their mistake and say that is this gen is a horrible, won't be acceptable. That is why there were 300 extra, people, because they couldn't fix it otherwise.
It was someone people were speculating on other forums as well. I’m doubtful Because it’d still expect more of them...and because if it’s true, why keep saying over and over that they won’t go back to the old system? You can say this is your stance without being so adamant that you won’t get back to it.

I mean, if true, Nintendo and TPCi should’ve ordered a delay. It’s one thing if you really believe in your decision even if it’s controversial, and another if you’re not. I know the anime was supposed to air, but the Dexit will hurt regardless, and given the stage of affairs in regards of technical problems and glitches in the game, a delay would’ve benefit overall.

Yeah saw that post, someone else shared it here, but it sounds like BS.

For the record, they also make a claim along the lines of assets being given the codename Sword or Shield and we know that isn't true because the codename for these games never matches the titles so- yeah. BS.

It was someone people were speculating on other forums as well. I’m doubtful Because it’d still expect more of them...and because if it’s true, why keep saying over and over that they won’t go back to the old system? You can say this is your stance without being so adamant that you won’t get back to it.

I mean, if true, Nintendo and TPCi should’ve ordered a delay. It’s one thing if you really believe in your decision even if it’s controversial, and another if you’re not. I know the anime was supposed to air, but the Dexit will hurt regardless, and given the stage of affairs in regards of technical problems and glitches in the game, a delay would’ve benefit overall.
Sure, the anime would have to air but it's not only playing in Galar this time around. So I'm sure the Galar bits could have been delayed along with the games (minus having Scorbunny as Go's Pokémon, to promote the games and maybe be a bit of a teaser) and even if that wasn't the case, wasn't that one island thing in the original series also some sort of filler made because Gold/Silver came later?
There's definitely work arounds to such an issue.

Yeah saw that post, someone else shared it here, but it sounds like BS.

For the record, they also make a claim along the lines of assets being given the codename Sword or Shield and we know that isn't true because the codename for these games never matches the titles so- yeah. BS.
BS, and imo is just some hopeful theory of someone who is still in denial about Dexit being a set policy from now on.

Fair to doubt. I've already decided I'm not going to, I'll wait to see if anything else this gen compels me to buy a Switch or maybe next gen will be better. =)
Maybe DP remakes (if they happen) will bait you into buying a Switch. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom