• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Leak Repository Thread (WARNING: Huge spoilers!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
If anyone's sabotaging anything, it's Game Freak sabotaging Pokemon so they can just move on to something different; look at Town and then SwSh, and tell me which one they seem more excited about making. There's no way Nintendo would let TPC sabotage the main series so more people would play mobile games when they own 1/3+ of TPC and with mainline Pokemon being very important to their handheld sales.
I think this is ridiculous... Town is a one-shot game from Gear Project, it's not a franchise that is going to carry them and pay for future games.

That "excitement" is because some of their developers got to have fun in a sandbox for a little bit. The fact that the game looks "better" than Sword and Shield? Is because it's smaller so they had more time to focus on improving smaller areas.

It's clear that GF favors Town over Sword and Shield, considering that most of GF's veteran staff is working on the former. They might essentially want to end Pokemon entirely so that they can instead completely focus on their Gear Project.
They're also in the process of handing the torch of Pokemon down to the newer staff, so that isn't a "We're more excited about this." thing, that's a "Okay you guys are gonna be doing this from now on so the rest of us are gonna go play over here and make something ourselves while you work on that."

I really really really have to emphasize that Gear Project IS NOT REPLACING POKEMON. It's a sandbox for people to unwind from working on the series and develop their skills. It's not a replacement! It's a play room!

It's a sandbox for people to unwind from working on the series and develop their skills.

I don't disagree with you, but this line is why I wished they did Town, Gear, whatever else before this generation. They would have unwinded as you said and gotten a chance to iron out their coding skills for bigger more open world projects.

I suspect the games after Sword and Shield will be the ones that truly tell if Game Freak's priorities are fully about the series. I don't think anyone is willingly sabotaging anything other than a lack of ingenuity.

Developing games is like art: if you keep doing the exact same thing for years or even decades, you’ll lose the passion and creative spark very quickly, and may not be able to deliver an high quality project. Not even money can be a good incentive, when you have completely run dry of inspiration.

Handing down Pokémon to newer staff can be helpful, as the new developers have fresher eyes and ideas and can learn the ropes, while the veterans can try out something new and different.

I don’t think that GF is giving preference to a game over the other, but rather lending the reins to people with fresher ideas and letting the veterans recharge the batteries for a bit.

Here are two articles that give a good idea of how Gear Project works-

Pokemon isn't in danger, it's still the series that is bringing in the money for them, and is still what dictates Game Freak's schedule- Gear Project operates during low periods, not when they're busy focusing on Pokemon. And they do have fun working on Pokemon, they just also have fun working on something else inbetween.

Plus what sense is there in trying to sabotage their own series now before they've come up with anything that they could reliably say would carry them just as well as Pokemon has been? They don't have another series that would even be a candidate for replacing Pokemon yet.

I think this is ridiculous... Town is a one-shot game from Gear Project, it's not a franchise that is going to carry them and pay for future games.

That "excitement" is because some of their developers got to have fun in a sandbox for a little bit. The fact that the game looks "better" than Sword and Shield? Is because it's smaller so they had more time to focus on improving smaller areas.

They're also in the process of handing the torch of Pokemon down to the newer staff, so that isn't a "We're more excited about this." thing, that's a "Okay you guys are gonna be doing this from now on so the rest of us are gonna go play over here and make something ourselves while you work on that."

I really really really have to emphasize that Gear Project IS NOT REPLACING POKEMON. It's a sandbox for people to unwind from working on the series and develop their skills. It's not a replacement! It's a play room!
I don't think Gear Project is replacing Pokemon at all, and in fact I'm glad that they're putting more priority on it to help with burnout, but I think GF's true passion lies in Gear Project. With what we've seen of both games, Town seems to be having quite a bit more care in terms of making everything look just right, while SwSh just gutted a core appeal with no improvements to show for it, making it seem like it was only done so the games could ship on time. If they still relly wanted to make Pokemon, then why not just put Town on temporary hold so they could fix things?

Ok, so I am watching this demo people played back at e3 for the first time, and have some possible ideas to put out. Keep in mind these are merely curious possibilities.

First, Yamper. Although electric it has both dark and fairy type moves. I wonder if we might see an electric fairy for its evo. I really cannot see it being dark, but I don’t think we have had electric fairy yet have we?

Second, wooloo maybe gets a grass typing when it evolves? If it evolves. I’m kind of on the no opinion to it evolving, or getting a secondary typing. However; I think it would be a really neat secondary to it depending on how it looks.

First, Yamper. Although electric it has both dark and fairy type moves. I wonder if we might see an electric fairy for its evo. I really cannot see it being dark, but I don’t think we have had electric fairy yet have we?

Second, wooloo maybe gets a grass typing when it evolves? If it evolves. I’m kind of on the no opinion to it evolving, or getting a secondary typing. However; I think it would be a really neat secondary to it depending on how it looks.
I think Yamper will just be pure electric, although a fun second type would be fun. The greyhound design of its evolution doesn't really give me any ideas, though. Fairy would go in line with the cute little heart on its butt though!

For Wooloo, I actually really like the Baabaang idea in that recent leak. The name itself is a clever idea that mimics the Wooloo name, and it evolves its rolling into a bomb idea while adding in that 'black sheep' saying.

I think it's just them learning their lesson from Generation 7's spoiler spree.
In the end spoiling almost all of Alola's Pokemon did nothing for the game in the end.
Even in a situation like Dexit they need to keep their cards close to them and not spill everything the game has to offer because that's rpg marketing 101.
Moreover the "theory" of TPC trying to fundamentally sabotage the games is ridiculous since they fuel EVERYTHING.
Nintendo- needs SWSH to push Switch units
Creatures- needs SWSH to tie into their merch and TCG sets
OLM- needs material for their anime and movies.
Either my head is not screwed on right or some people have gone Daffy.

dedenne!

edit: also tapu koko
Dedenne was? Hmm I don’t remember that. Are there still some pairings we have not actually had yet?
I think Yamper will just be pure electric, although a fun second type would be fun. The greyhound design of its evolution doesn't really give me any ideas, though. Fairy would go in line with the cute little heart on its butt though!

For Wooloo, I actually really like the Baabaang idea in that recent leak. The name itself is a clever idea that mimics the Wooloo name, and it evolves its rolling into a bomb idea while adding in that 'black sheep' saying.

I don’t really know with Yamper what to expect. I had totally missed the heart on it’s butt, though! How funny.

I don’t think i know it. What would you make it then? Still normal? Where it’s a rolling bomb I’m not sure.

Edit: what about Pax West? They are having a galar region tourism booth. Any chance something hidden might come out of that? I’m looking at you still officially unrevealed Impidimp! I want to see your evo!

Last edited:
Dedenne was? Hmm I don’t remember that. Are there still some pairings we have not actually had yet?

currently...

Normal/Poison
Normal/Ice
Normal/Bug
Normal/Rock
Normal/Ghost
Normal/Steel
Poison/Ice
Poison/Electric
Poison/Psychic
Poison/Steel
Fighting/Fairy
Fighting/Electric
Fighting/Ground
Fairy/Fire
Fairy/Ground
Ice/Bug
Ice/Fire
Bug/Dark
Bug/Psychic
Bug/Dragon
Rock/Ghost
Fire/Grass

I don't think Gear Project is replacing Pokemon at all, and in fact I'm glad that they're putting more priority on it to help with burnout, but I think GF's true passion lies in Gear Project. With what we've seen of both games, Town seems to be having quite a bit more care in terms of making everything look just right, while SwSh just gutted a core appeal with no improvements to show for it, making it seem like it was only done so the games could ship on time. If they still relly wanted to make Pokemon, then why not just put Town on temporary hold so they could fix things?
Well the thing is, the games developed for Gear Project are from ideas that anyone in GameFreak come up with. Someone in the company wanted to make a game of their own and was given the opportunity to. That's like... their baby. So naturally someone's passion and love is going to show more in what comes out of Gear Project, but that's not the product of passion from everyone in Game Freak, that's just the passion of one person's brain baby.

Plus again, the scale of Town is smaller than Pokemon. They have more time to focus on those details because they don't have an entire region to develop and work on, just that one town. But if they had tried to make a huge world project in Gear Project it would probably look just like Pokemon does. So really, the solution to make Pokemon look as "good" as Town would be to have the entire game take place in only one town. Problem solved.

They're obviously cutting back how much they're revealing because of how much they did reveal for Sun and Moon. I think by the end of August they revealed about 35 new Pokemon, along with a couple Alolan variants. So far, we've only seen about 17 new Pokemon and 3 new variants. We also had only two entirely new ones revealed to us in August.

Events where they have revealed new Pokemon haven't really shown us anything new this year. Japan Expo had nothing, Worlds only had info on online battles, held items, and abilities, and Gamescom only gave us a sneak peak at the first town we'll likely visit. Corocoro also hasn't been revealing anything new to us.

Its just felt very slow, and I think part of it is also the fact that some reveals like Dynamax have been kinda underwhelming. Plus, I don't think they're really revealed many new features, side activities, or anything.

They're obviously cutting back how much they're revealing because of how much they did reveal for Sun and Moon. I think by the end of August they revealed about 35 new Pokemon, along with a couple Alolan variants. So far, we've only seen about 17 new Pokemon and 3 new variants. We also had only two entirely new ones revealed to us in August.

Events where they have revealed new Pokemon haven't really shown us anything new this year. Japan Expo had nothing, Worlds only had info on online battles, held items, and abilities, and Gamescom only gave us a sneak peak at the first town we'll likely visit. Corocoro also hasn't been revealing anything new to us.

Its just felt very slow, and I think part of it is also the fact that some reveals like Dynamax have been kinda underwhelming. Plus, I don't think they're really revealed many new features, side activities, or anything.
I do wonder if we maybe can't expect at least two trailers a month until release now... that feels like it would be the smart way to do this: start slow, go steady, and then build up the hype in the last few months so the excitement doesn't burn out by release day. Plus having so much more left in the game to still discover gives people a lot to talk about after release which will carry the hype and attention for some time after.

I think going forward, there's going to be one major trailer at the beginning of each month as to beat out CoroCoro, and minor trailer(s) sometime halfway into the month that reveal smaller areas and mechanics.

Attachments

• 267412A4-A152-46CB-AAB9-DD7426EFCA01.png
    267412A4-A152-46CB-AAB9-DD7426EFCA01.png
    205.7 KB · Views: 99
So, we will get news only in september
currently...

Normal/Poison
Normal/Ice
Normal/Bug
Normal/Rock
Normal/Ghost
Normal/Steel
Poison/Ice
Poison/Electric
Poison/Psychic
Poison/Steel
Fighting/Fairy
Fighting/Electric
Fighting/Ground
Fairy/Fire
Fairy/Ground
Ice/Bug
Ice/Fire
Bug/Dark
Bug/Psychic
Bug/Dragon
Rock/Ghost
Fire/Grass

Thanks for posting this list XD Some combinations like Fighting/Ground and Rock/Ghost should be used. Even Fairy being a very recent type, it has more combinations than old types like poison and bug. Interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom