• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Leak Repository Thread (WARNING: Huge spoilers!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
They can easily not include Hoennian Zigzagoon or Kantonian Weezing in SwSh. Very easily. The Galarian forms aren't called 'Galarian Weezing', etc, in the games. It's just 'Weezing', etc. Those are the normal, natural forms for these Pokémon in these games and the forms that will feel normal to new players.

Why would they decide to do Dexit and then make time to animate all the models for Pokémon forms that won't even be catchable in these games?

They can easily not include Hoennian Zigzagoon or Kantonian Weezing in SwSh. Very easily. The Galarian forms aren't called 'Galarian Weezing', etc, in the games. It's just 'Weezing', etc. Those are the normal, natural forms for these Pokémon in these games and the forms that will feel normal to new players.

Why would they decide to do Dexit and then make time to animate all the models for Pokémon forms that won't even be catchable in these games?
Because they're forms, not different species.

Let's Go had Alolan forms, as well, and Sun/Moon had tourists with the regular forms. Even with Dexit being a thing, it'd be odd for them to cut forms.

They're all essentially the same species with the same dex-slot.

I'd argue that the original forms would be in, along with Alolan forms of Pokemon that're in the Galar dex. They did it in SM to show off the differences, and LGPE's the first game with a heavily restricted dex, yet it allowed the Alolan forms... It'd make sense to continue allowing the other variants if their species are in the Pokedex. They're still emphasizing that they're Galarian variants in the pre-release, and I wouldn't doubt they'd bring up they're Galarian variants in-game, similar to SM.

Yes, it's the Galar Pokedex, but by that logic, Kantonian Meowth doesn't belong in the Alola Pokedex, and Alolan Meowth doesn't belong in the Kanto Pokedex.

Last edited:

Let's Go had Alolan forms, as well, and Sun/Moon had tourists with the regular forms. Even with Dexit being a thing, it'd be odd for them to cut forms.

True that they are forms, but Galarian forms are also the only forms native to Galar. I would not be surprised at all if they aren't in the games because, like all other Pokémon not native to Galar, they were cut. It doesn't matter that they're the same species. That species only looks the Galarian way in Galar, so there's no need for the Hoennian/Kantonian/etc forms to be made.

Unless, like you mention, they decide to bring back the Tourist trainer class and have them use the 'exotic' forms. But if that happens, I can see many people complaining about how they took the time to add in Hoennian Zigzagoon for one trainer battle, but couldn't make the time to add in (insert their favorite Pokémon that ends up not being found in Galar).

True that they are forms, but Galarian forms are also the only forms native to Galar. I would not be surprised at all if they aren't in the games because, like all other Pokémon not native to Galar, they were cut. It doesn't matter that they're the same species. That species only looks the Galarian way in Galar, so there's no need for the Hoennian/Kantonian/etc forms to be made.

Unless, like you mention, they decide to bring back the Tourist trainer class and have them use the 'exotic' forms. But if that happens, I can see many people complaining about how they took the time to add in Hoennian Zigzagoon for one trainer battle, but couldn't make the time to add in (insert their favorite Pokémon that ends up not being found in Galar).
Species that inhabit Galar are transferable from older games, that should make non-regional forms obtainable.

Anyway, we'll see. It seems kind of logical to me.

In addition to this, you wouldn't be able to find the regular forms in the wild, unless they implemented some sort of thing like friend safari or the secret garden in gen 4 where you can find other Pokemon not normally found in the wild. Unless they add something like that the original forms won't be in the wild because they're not native to galar and it would be pointless on gamefreak's part to make a whole thing about how zigzagoon for instance has a different appearance only in galar since it evolved differently there, yet if they did what was suggested then there would be the native and non-native zigzagoon? This doesn't make sense to me and I don't think it can be compared to gen 7 with alolan forms because while gen 7 had no national dex, all Pokemon were still transferable to it. I don't believe you could find like a regular vulpix or grimer anywhere on gen 7 without transferring while in gen 8 you can only transfer up Pokemon in the pokedex so I doubt they will make dex entries/programming/coding for the Pokemon just so the original form could be used in a trainer battle and be transferred up from previous games yet not be naturally found in Galar.

Considering SM/LGPE included both sets of variants as I've mentioned above, it'd make sense for them to repeat it in SS, since they'll no doubt bring up in-game that the new ones we encounter are Galarian variants similar to SM.

In addition to this, you wouldn't be able to find the regular forms in the wild, unless they implemented some sort of thing like friend safari or the secret garden in gen 4 where you can find other Pokemon not normally found in the wild. Unless they add something like that the original forms won't be in the wild because they're not native to galar and it would be pointless on gamefreak's part to make a whole thing about how zigzagoon for instance has a different appearance only in galar since it evolved differently there, yet if they did what was suggested then there would be the native and non-native zigzagoon? This doesn't make sense to me and I don't think it can be compared to gen 7 with alolan forms because while gen 7 had no national dex, all Pokemon were still transferable to it. I don't believe you could find like a regular vulpix or grimer anywhere on gen 7 without transferring while in gen 8 you can only transfer up Pokemon in the pokedex so I doubt they will make dex entries/programming/coding for the Pokemon just so the original form could be used in a trainer battle and be transferred up from previous games yet not be naturally found in Galar.

LGPE allowed the Alolan forms to be obtainable via NPC trades so they wouldn't be transfer-only from GO. They can easily do the same thing here for the og variants & the Alolan forms of Pokemon in the Galar Dex.

Considering SM/LGPE included both sets of variants as I've mentioned above, it'd make sense for them to repeat it in SS, since they'll no doubt bring up in-game that the new ones we encounter are Galarian variants similar to SM.

LGPE allowed the Alolan forms to be obtainable via NPC trades so they wouldn't be transfer-only from GO. They can easily do the same thing here for the og variants & the Alolan forms of Pokemon in the Galar Dex.
Oh I wasn't aware of the NPC trades actually. That does give me a lot more hope that both forms can be obtainable in sword and shield now

It'd also make sense for them to make sure all Pokémon are compatible with SwSh, yet here we are. Comparisons to SM are invalid because everything was compatible and transferrable in those games.

Comparisons to LGPE are more valid, since only Kanto Pokémon were compatible. I still think it's trying to compare apples to oranges, though. LGPE were designed for Go players and nostalgia, and adding in Alola Forms and megas were two ways to increase diversity while keeping the dex at 151.

The bottom line is that SwSh is the first main series, 'traditional' game that has no national dex compatibility and is confirmed to not include Pokémon that the developers deemed not native to Galar. It could go either way with non-galarian forms of Galar Pokémon.

Maybe, but giving Eevee the same treatment as Pikachu worked out well. Unlike in Yellow, the partners are actually strong and have both signature and field moves. There is also the benefit of having access to all three regular starters. The point should be deviating from HGSS in an obvious way; I don't think that different legendary mascots (Suicune and Entei, probably) and catching mechanics (which aren't novel anymore) would be enough. Nor would new starters, but it would be a start.

Togepi and Marill may currently be nowhere as marketable as Pikachu and Eevee, but that's a question of marketing that could be very lucrative. They had to create Project Eevee, too.
Eevee was also a very popular pokemon prior to Project Eevee- eevee and its eeveelutions always have been. For LGPE they just took the concept of Yellow, enhanced it, and took popular pokemon Eevee so the game would have a counterpart version. But Johto lacks any pokemon that is really on the same level, so it would be a bit awkward to pick any two of them to force into mascot status for that region. Mostly I just think it's an odd assumption that the next Let's Go game will follow suit with another pair of pokemon when the idea wasn't actually unique to Let's Go? Like that concept isn't really definitive of Let's Go, it was derived from Yellow.

Personally, though, because I can't see any existing Johto pokemon filling the role (and the usual three starters option is pretty bland), I'd kinda like to see them come up with two entirely new pokemon to use as the starters, but then we run into the "can't transfer" issue and so how do we get them into HOME and the like? Unless they were to also appear in the wild somewhere... I don't know, but if they did that it would certainly be more interesting.

The thing about regional variants as forms is that the other forms are not native to the region and therefor are unobtainable there. It made sense to have both forms in Gen 7, partly because we still had every pokemon in most of the games, but mostly because the concept was new and therefor they wanted to emphasize it via comparison. As of Sword and Shield, the concept of regional variants is old and therefor they're less likely to make a big deal about comparing them. It's like expecting them to make a point of highlighting gender differences after Gen 4- the idea was already old and established so they stopped giving attention to it. Regional variants have been established now, so we don't need to see a Hoennian Zigzagoon displayed next to a Galarian one.

And since Hoennian Zigzagoon will not be native to Galar, it likely won't be available in the games. You can't turn a pokemon into its regional variant so the importance of its shared dex slot is lost by its unobtainability.

It's like expecting them to make a point of highlighting gender differences after Gen 4- the idea was already old and established so they stopped giving attention to it.

I'm going kinda beside the point and I do agree with the bulk of your post, but didn't they emphasize gender differences even more heavily after Gen 4? Maybe not in terms of volume, but the five gender dimorphic Pokémon that have come since then have had much more significant differences. I would think that a person playing Black Version for the first time will be more surprised when they see a female Unfezant after having seen a male one earlier in the game than somebody playing Diamond Version will when/if they notice that female Girafarig have slightly more yellow on their bodies.

Eevee was also a very popular pokemon prior to Project Eevee- eevee and its eeveelutions always have been. For LGPE they just took the concept of Yellow, enhanced it, and took popular pokemon Eevee so the game would have a counterpart version.

Let’s not forget that your rival had eevee in yellow version. It was only logical to do the counterpart as the rivals pokemon.

I'm going kinda beside the point and I do agree with the bulk of your post, but didn't they emphasize gender differences even more heavily after Gen 4? Maybe not in terms of volume, but the five gender dimorphic Pokémon that have come since then have had much more significant differences. I would think that a person playing Black Version for the first time will be more surprised when they see a female Unfezant after having seen a male one earlier in the game than somebody playing Diamond Version will when/if they notice that female Girafarig have slightly more yellow on their bodies.
Well, yes, in a way they did emphasize gender differences more after Gen 4, but it wasn't so much highlighting the concept as it was highlighting a unique feature of that species? Like it wasn't "Here are gender differences because gender differences are a thing," it was more "This species has very drastic gender differences!" It was more about the pokemon than the idea that gender differences exist.

If they make a LG 2 I get the feeling that they will stick with Pikachu and Eevee.
Hm... I don't know about that, but I think I could see it happening too. =/ Would certainly get more mileage out of the Pikachu and Eevee models that way, outfits and Secret Techniques included.

I can absolutely see it. Might even retain the same player characters with slightly updated looks. 2 or 3 years later? Why not? I'd play it for sure.

Eevee was also a very popular pokemon prior to Project Eevee- eevee and its eeveelutions always have been. For LGPE they just took the concept of Yellow, enhanced it, and took popular pokemon Eevee so the game would have a counterpart version. But Johto lacks any pokemon that is really on the same level, so it would be a bit awkward to pick any two of them to force into mascot status for that region. Mostly I just think it's an odd assumption that the next Let's Go game will follow suit with another pair of pokemon when the idea wasn't actually unique to Let's Go? Like that concept isn't really definitive of Let's Go, it was derived from Yellow.

Personally, though, because I can't see any existing Johto pokemon filling the role (and the usual three starters option is pretty bland), I'd kinda like to see them come up with two entirely new pokemon to use as the starters, but then we run into the "can't transfer" issue and so how do we get them into HOME and the like? Unless they were to also appear in the wild somewhere... I don't know, but if they did that it would certainly be more interesting.

The thing about regional variants as forms is that the other forms are not native to the region and therefor are unobtainable there. It made sense to have both forms in Gen 7, partly because we still had every pokemon in most of the games, but mostly because the concept was new and therefor they wanted to emphasize it via comparison. As of Sword and Shield, the concept of regional variants is old and therefor they're less likely to make a big deal about comparing them. It's like expecting them to make a point of highlighting gender differences after Gen 4- the idea was already old and established so they stopped giving attention to it. Regional variants have been established now, so we don't need to see a Hoennian Zigzagoon displayed next to a Galarian one.

And since Hoennian Zigzagoon will not be native to Galar, it likely won't be available in the games. You can't turn a pokemon into its regional variant so the importance of its shared dex slot is lost by its unobtainability.
Pretty sure they still support the Gen IV gender-differences. I'm aware the other regional forms aren't 'native', but they're the same species. Judging from interviews and the like, I can see them adding the data for the non-regional forms. Even with the Dexit taken into account. Just because they're still the same species and GF is still a bit of a completionist in that regard, even if not all species are available for the first time in a main-series game. Smaller dex doesn't necessarily mean rationing.

Anyway, we'll see. I get your point, I really do. I just don't see them doing it. They've always supported everything a Pokémon-species brings with it. It would also bring a bit of incentive to the transfer-system and/or trade. Regional forms didn't go past a dozen or so last generation, either.

Last but not least; teaming up the counterparts is also very much fun.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom