• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Leak Repository Thread (WARNING: Huge spoilers!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think that they would release two remakes in a single generation in order to avoid fan outrage.
Why would fans outrage that much at getting two remakes in one generation..? Honestly, I'd rather see a generation get two remakes than a shoddy third version or sequel. At least they have to actually put some effort into making remakes instead of just making a teensy few edits and calling it a new game.

What is the ultimate benefit of having two concurrent sets of remakes? To whom do each of these sorts of games appeal to, and why can't the aspects of one be folded into the other to hopefully reel the two (or more) demographics in closer together for less work and resources?

At the moment, I myself think it's more likely that LGPE will simply remain a sort of one-off experiment (Kanto is special, it can be given exceptional treatment without implicating the entire rest of the series), and that the main series will just continue to pull ideas from it. Sinnoh remakes won't quite be Let's Go-ized, but they could very well take a lot of cues from those installments in terms of game design of mechanics and features.
Considering how a lot of longtime fans practically gagged at Let's Go's existence, I think it's a decent reason to persist with traditional remakes. On the other hand, GO players seemed to enjoy the Let's Go series. That's two different groups to appeal to- with some overlap but I'm sure they'd rather have the whole cake, not just slice it and take out the middle.

Aside from that, though-it seemed to be that Let's Go was largely outsourced and didn't take long to develop. If it doesn't require all that much in terms of their own time and resources, then they could pool their focus primarily into the new gen games and the traditional remakes and still offer the cheap cookie that is Let's Go as a third product offering.

Having two remakes in one generation is a great idea, which means that each pair of games in a generation would never be set in the same region as each other, which is one of the reasons why I would gladly welcome that sort of thing. Let's just say, next year we get a traditional Sinnoh remake while the year after that, we get Let's Go Johto. As a result, none of the Gen 8 games would be set in the same region, thus actually making the whole generation unique.

I honestly don't view that rumor's evolution method as dissimilar to how Sylveon evolves, which required a set Affection rate introduced in its Generation's new mechanic.

I suppose Dynamax is more similar to Gen 6's megas rather than Pokemon Aime though, but I wouldn't toss the rumor purely because of that. Game Freak no longer cares about requiring Pokemon to be backwards compatible, as we've gone over a thousand times now their new policy means they put in a set amount of Pokemon into any game based on what Pokemon they feel like goes with said game.

Galarian formes are just as likely to not be in an upcoming (non-Galarian) game anytime soon, anymore than this hypothetical "Scaleon." In fact, it probably should be more seen in the same sense as Obstagoon or the rumored Sir'fetched, a regional evo unique to Galar. Also, keep in mind that Gigantamaxed Pokemon will also be in the exact same boat in regards to their own unique forms. They will all be game locked to Sword & Shield unless Game Freak decides to carry the mechanic over.

Aside from that, though-it seemed to be that Let's Go was largely outsourced and didn't take long to develop. If it doesn't require all that much in terms of their own time and resources, then they could pool their focus primarily into the new gen games and the traditional remakes and still offer the cheap cookie that is Let's Go as a third product offering.

Even then, there's still the question of longevity. Sure, JohGO might happen, because LGPE did well enough and many of those players probably still own their Switches. The concept is still fairly novel, and GSC are still relatively simple games. But as time changes, reality changes. What's relevant to the state of the series right now can't necessarily be relied upon to exist in the same way by the time we'd be in a position to get GOenn. Have we moved to a new console by then, and are the players who liked LGPE willing to spend that much again? Was the interest of LGPE players in those games just a flash in the pan, causing LG Johto to underperform? Did some other Pokémon venture suddenly become a massive hit worth capitalizing on? Have the ice caps melted some more and caused the sea levels to rise to such a point that we now have Too Much Water irl and thus all enthusiasm for experiencing virtual water has been completely quashed? I mean, whatever the case may be, we don't even know how it appears to Game Freak and TPC right now, let alone in ten years. They might try, in the next year or two, to see if they still have something to work with, yeah. I think it would be kinda weird not to. But the entire notion of Let's Go-style remakes are still in the relatively very early stages, and we only know some of the numbers that GF/TPC are looking at.

Even then, there's still the question of longevity. Sure, JohGO might happen, because LGPE did well enough and many of those players probably still own their Switches. The concept is still fairly novel, and GSC are still relatively simple games. But as time changes, reality changes. What's relevant to the state of the series right now can't necessarily be relied upon to exist in the same way by the time we'd be in a position to get GOenn. Have we moved to a new console by then, and are the players who liked LGPE willing to spend that much again? Was the interest of LGPE players in those games just a flash in the pan, causing LG Johto to underperform? Did some other Pokémon venture suddenly become a massive hit worth capitalizing on? Have the ice caps melted some more and caused the sea levels to rise to such a point that we now have Too Much Water irl and thus all enthusiasm for experiencing virtual water has been completely quashed? I mean, whatever the case may be, we don't even know how it appears to Game Freak and TPC right now, let alone in ten years. They might try, in the next year or two, to see if they still have something to work with, yeah. I think it would be kinda weird not to. But the entire notion of Let's Go-style remakes are still in the relatively very early stages, and we only know some of the numbers that GF/TPC are looking at.
Given the lifespan of past consoles, I suspect that we'll still be on some version of the Switch by the time GOenn ever rolls around, if we do indeed get there. As for whether people would be willing to spend that much again- without a doubt. The fact that GO even makes as much as it does in the first place is testament to people's willingness, because it is a free game and everything that can be purchased is 100% optional- not even in the sense that you could go without it, but that you could easily obtain it without spending real cash.

Ultimately, yes- the future holds the answer as to how things will proceed. But there's no way that GameFreak could possibly fully predict the longevity of a Let's Go series, only guess at its potential and drop it if it fails to hold up, which is why it makes sense to only focus on the short term and not really question the full longevity of the concept. With the way things are poised right now, with Let's Go only being the first step, and a JohGO being the next conceivable step, I think that having two series of remakes would be a fairly reasonable path to follow. For now. Up until the point it's not. Just like including every pokemon in every game was a reasonable path to follow- until it wasn't.

Why would fans outrage that much at getting two remakes in one generation..? Honestly, I'd rather see a generation get two remakes than a shoddy third version or sequel. At least they have to actually put some effort into making remakes instead of just making a teensy few edits and calling it a new game.
Because they may get upset that GameFreak is spending too much time retreading the past instead of creating actual new content.

Honestly, the whole remake cycle is a self-fulfilling prophecy. IIRC, GF only intended to remake up to HGSS, to get gen 2 on a console that transferred forward for the future - but because Pokemon fans love to assume GF uses a million patterns in their dev cycles with only a few examples, they created the expectation of a gen 3 remake next gen (which ended up not happening till gen 6), and iirc GF said ORAS happened because of fan demand, but the "demand" was just expectations based on an unprovable (at least at the time) pattern. LGPE makes this a bit fucky, and I think it was just a one-off thing to hook in Go players. Signs are pointing to a gen 4 remake next year with the merch, but I'll bet money that it wasn't planned around ORAS, and is only happening because the fans are expecting it to happen soon because of patterns they made up.

Honestly, the whole remake cycle is a self-fulfilling prophecy. IIRC, GF only intended to remake up to HGSS, to get gen 2 on a console that transferred forward for the future - but because Pokemon fans love to assume GF uses a million patterns in their dev cycles with only a few examples, they created the expectation of a gen 3 remake next gen (which ended up not happening till gen 6), and iirc GF said ORAS happened because of fan demand, but the "demand" was just expectations based on an unprovable (at least at the time) pattern. LGPE makes this a bit fucky, and I think it was just a one-off thing to hook in Go players. Signs are pointing to a gen 4 remake next year with the merch, but I'll bet money that it wasn't planned around ORAS, and is only happening because the fans are expecting it to happen soon because of patterns they made up.
Even then, there aren't as many people demanding a Sinnoh remake as there were demanding a Hoenn remake back in 2011-2014, considering that the latter ended up becoming a meme.

Considering how a lot of longtime fans practically gagged at Let's Go's existence, I think it's a decent reason to persist with traditional remakes. On the other hand, GO players seemed to enjoy the Let's Go series. That's two different groups to appeal to- with some overlap but I'm sure they'd rather have the whole cake, not just slice it and take out the middle.

On r/pokemon, I didn't see a lot of GO players or new fans around when Let's Go came out, however, I did see a huge amount of older, nostalgic users who hadn't played since like gen 3. They were quite excited about the games and many were eager for Let's Go Johto, including a few fans who said they had no interest in SwSh (though that was before it was actually revealed). I agree that continuing the LG series, at least for gens 1-3, would be a pretty smart move on GameFreak's part. If GameFreak is really smart, they'll continue remaking just the first three games over and over in LG style for M A X I M U M nostalgia.

Because they may get upset that GameFreak is spending too much time retreading the past instead of creating actual new content.

Many people seem to be quite hyped for Let's Go Johto and/or DPPt remakes so I don't think most fans will be upset with two remakes in a generation, especially since they'd be different styles most likely.

Even then, there aren't as many people demanding a Sinnoh remake as there were demanding a Hoenn remake back in 2011-2014, considering that the latter ended up becoming a meme.

What? I saw plenty of people upset that we got SwSh instead of DPPt remakes first. The "Visit Sinnoh" video for the anime or whatever got more views or likes (I can't remember the specifics) than even the video for Kanto. While Sinnoh Confirmed isn't as much of a meme as Hoenn Confirmed was, I'd say there's roughly the same amount of people demanding Sinnoh remakes.

I suppose Dynamax is more similar to Gen 6's megas rather than Pokemon Aime though, but I wouldn't toss the rumor purely because of that. Game Freak no longer cares about requiring Pokemon to be backwards compatible, as we've gone over a thousand times now their new policy means they put in a set amount of Pokemon into any game based on what Pokemon they feel like goes with said game.
They did say that they're keeping evolved forms in for any Pokemon that gets included, though.

They did say that they're keeping evolved forms in for any Pokemon that gets included, though.

To add onto this, the only games without evolutionary relative consistency are the Let's Go games, and that was meant to keep the games very faithful to the original. And while it's impossible to obtain Glaceon, Leafeon, Magnezone, and Probopass in HGSS, they're still in the game code and therefore transferable.

So I definitely think GameFreak will make all members of an evolutionary family available if the game is a traditional core game.

I had not seen this interview before, and they specifically mentioned story when referencing the game's quality? Well, that's by itself fascinating I suppose, but I do see the intent.

I guess if Eevee did receive any evo this gen, it would make more sense to treat it as a Galarian style form or evo rather than tie it into the Dyna mechanic. However, when you say they are keeping them in for any Pokemon that's included, do they mean Sword n Shield itself or future titles in general?

I'm assuming Pokemon Home may not have the Dyna/Giga models, otherwise a hypothetical Evo based around that concept would be simply left in what the interview described as a "Hub World" that ties the later games together.

To add onto this, the only games without evolutionary relative consistency are the Let's Go games, and that was meant to keep the games very faithful to the original. And while it's impossible to obtain Glaceon, Leafeon, Magnezone, and Probopass in HGSS, they're still in the game code and therefore transferable.

So I definitely think GameFreak will make all members of an evolutionary family available if the game is a traditional core game.
Excluding Megas, that means Alolan Forms will likely appear in the games.

The Dragon-type Eeveelution being named Scaleon is what makes me doubt that leak the most. Aside from Leafeon all of the Eeveelutions have intuitive but still creative names. Not the first adjectives/nouns you think of when you think of its type, but the ones that take a few more seconds' thought. I suspect that a Dragon-type Eeveelution in this gen would get a Welsh-inspired name as a nod to Wales' flag. Dragon in Welsh is Ddraig, Ddraigeon looks a bit too much like plain old Dragon, but maybe a dragon-related word in Welsh, like scale (graddfa), claw (crafanc), beast (bwystfil), reptile (ymlusgiad), serpent (sarff) - I can actually picture a Sarffeon. Or someone from Welsh mythology - Lludd (I could also imagine a Lluddeon), Arthur - maybe Artureon, or Pendreon as a nod to Uther Pendragon.

Is this really a bad thing, though? If fan demand warrants it then it shows there is money to be made and where there is both money to be made and fans to please, TPCi finds themselves in a win-win scenario.
I don’t think this is accurate, though I don’t really see a way of quantifying it.
Excluding Megas, that means Alolan Forms will likely appear in the games.
How did you arrive at this conclusion? I find it very unlikely that any Alolan Forms will be present in SwSh.

I hope we can get Alola Forms in SwSh, I love Alola Muks typing. I don’t think any of the Kanto forms of the various Pokémon have been confirmed either so it’s too early to tell.

The Dragon-type Eeveelution being named Scaleon is what makes me doubt that leak the most. Aside from Leafeon all of the Eeveelutions have intuitive but still creative names. Not the first adjectives/nouns you think of when you think of its type, but the ones that take a few more seconds' thought. I suspect that a Dragon-type Eeveelution in this gen would get a Welsh-inspired name as a nod to Wales' flag. Dragon in Welsh is Ddraig, Ddraigeon looks a bit too much like plain old Dragon, but maybe a dragon-related word in Welsh, like scale (graddfa), claw (crafanc), beast (bwystfil), reptile (ymlusgiad), serpent (sarff) - I can actually picture a Sarffeon. Or someone from Welsh mythology - Lludd (I could also imagine a Lluddeon), Arthur - maybe Artureon, or Pendreon as a nod to Uther Pendragon.

I disagree with every Eeveelution other than Leafeon has creative names. I mean the original trio had reactionary names (Flames Flare, electricity gives jolts, water turns to vapor) and Espeon is really extra-sensory-percepteon. Sure, they could have used folium like they used umbra for Umbreon and had Folieon. But still, whoever came up with the name probably wasn't the same person who came up with Umbreon's name. The Latin guy must have been off that day and who's to say he didn't take another vacation if the leak is true.

Besides, Scaleon still fits with the naming conventions. Dragons have scales, there's a item called dragon scale, BOOM, Scaleon. Also I doubt they're going to bring Welsh into this. Welsh would probably be too hard for non-Welsh kids to pronounce.

But the biggest red flag is the name has been used for a very infamous what-if fanart of the unused Eeeveelution types. So I'm a little wary on it being true.

While I don’t particularly like the name Scaleon, I think that those Welsh inspired names are a bit... esoteric for a Pokémon game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom