• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SV Leaks and/or Rumours Thread

It would make much more sense for it to evolve into a cuélebre or a basiliscu (both creatures of Asturian mythology) than into the Quetzalcóatl that belongs to Mesoamerican cultures, I say, but maybe I'm wrong.

I genuinely think the Zodiac Theory is a stretch when it comes to Fennekin and Cyndaquil. Fennekin is a fox and Cyndaquil is more based on a shrew than a mouse, even though its called the Fire Mouse Pokemon. Fuecoco as of now kills it, being a crocodile rather than a snake. It seems the final evolution will stay a crocodile.

I genuinely think the Zodiac Theory is a stretch when it comes to Fennekin and Cyndaquil. Fennekin is a fox and Cyndaquil is more based on a shrew than a mouse, even though its called the Fire Mouse Pokemon. Fuecoco as of now kills it, being a crocodile rather than a snake. It seems the final evolution will stay a crocodile.
Foxes are in the same family tree as Dogs lol

And Gamefreak DID put Cyndaquil in the same image as all the other Mouse Pokémon 2020's Year of the Rat/Mouse
EM5btHXXYAUi0xa.jpg

I agree that it is very shaky but I can see where the theory comes from

Amusingly enough, I didn't start taking it seriously until Scorbunny came along lol
(I was like: Wait? A Rabbit? Were the Zodiac theorists on to something???)

And 1 Generation later Fuecoco comes along and destroys it entirely lol

Obviously the main point of dispute is the concept of loose inspiration, which is always accused of being a stretch to try to prove the theory right.

Now, have you check the Lunar Events in Pokemon Go?
In 2018 and 2019, among all pure dog-like Pokemon, they chose Pochiena, a hyena! A fox is not a dog, a hyena is not a dog, right? But OK, it is not the best example, Pochiena can be considered a mix of dog/hyena.
In 2019 (see image), for the Tiger sign, they chose Electabuzz. An ogre! It is not a tiger at all, except the skin pattern. Now explain to me how it is more legetimate to consider an ogre with a tiger-like pattern for the Tiger sign compared to using a fox for the dog sign?
In 2020, Rat year, rat Pokemon appared more frequently. Among them, Rattata or Pikachu, obviously, but also Zigzagoon, Bidoof, or Sandshrew, and Minccino was release. Not 1:1 matches to rats, but similar. But OK, let's just say they loosed the concept of rat to have enough Pokemon to feature.
In 2022, year of the Tiger, they used Littleo as a representant. A lion, not a tiger.

If this was not official, saying Electabuzz or Littleo is the reprensentant for the Tiger would have led to the same reactions as saying Cyndaquill and Fennekin are the representants of rat and fox.

lunar-2019-img.jpg

That honestly looks more like a Mouse than Cyndaquil does
Honoguma is supposed to be a bear thing.

I don't think they started with the intention of doing a zodiac. Which is why we had honoguma before they switched cyndaquil to being a starter, then I think they kept going with it.

Also Myth I love your Maka icon

The thing is, most out of place Pokémon are based on animals instead of cultures.
Cultures are usually reserved for legenaries. Like how French inspired legendaries were in a US inspired region, Norse legendaries in a French (and Hawaiian) region(s), etc. There really isn't any reason for a starter to reference something like that.
Foxes are in the same family tree as Dogs lol

And Gamefreak DID put Cyndaquil in the same image as all the other Mouse Pokémon 2020's Year of the Rat/Mouse
View attachment 161666

I agree that it is very shaky but I can see where the theory comes from

Amusingly enough, I didn't start taking it seriously until Scorbunny came along lol
(I was like: Wait? A Rabbit? Were the Zodiac theorists on to something???)

And 1 Generation later Fuecoco comes along and destroys it entirely lol
I think we should probably just start questioning official art. I mean remember that item promotion where Sneasel and Trubish were considered cats?

I think we should probably just start questioning official art. I mean remember that item promotion where Sneasel and Trubish were considered cats?
To be fair I sort of suspect based off a few things (it's Japanese name and getting paired with Meowth several times in the anime) that Sneasel is meant to be feline and the english version's name changed it to a weasel instead.

Ngl, the idea some people are throwing around that we haven't gotten a trailer since June because GF is confident SV will sell even without much advertisement sounds not only extremely arrogant, but very risky from a business standpoint.

Sure, this is a Pokémon game, part of the highest grossing franchise of all times. Sure, it's a title for the Switch, which has consistently had games on it sell like hotcakes. But that doesn't mean that they should just take the lazy route and barely reveal anything noteworthy about the games. 'Cause if they don't promote them, there's a very real chance that they may not sell as well as they'd want them to. To give an example, the original plan for No Way Home's marketing was to have the trailers sell it as a Spider-Man vs Dr. Strange movie amd keep the multiverse stuff a secret. Probably because the team working on it knew that, as a Spider-Man movie set in the MCU, it was guaranteed to make a billion dollars (or, at the very least, close to a billion) regardless of advertising. But, the people at Marvel Studios realized that such a move would be a big risk, since they might end up losing on some potential profits, so they pushed to have the past villains be in the trailers. Which was probably the best decision they could've made marketing, since there's a good chance the hype from those trailers alone is what allowed it to get box office numbers close to 2 billion.

And we're talking about a movie from a franchise that's basically a cultural phenomenon. A franchise with a... ahem, let's say incredibly... dedicated fanbase. It was definitely gonna make its money back and then some just from word of mouth, yet the studio heads still realized that would too high of a risk to take, doubly so if you consider that we were still in pandemic times when it released. Pokémon, meanwhile, has a more polarizing reputation in its fanbase, with some finding the Switch games fine and appreciating what they try to do, some loving them for being Pokémon on the Switch and some finding them sub-par for something released on the Switch. So relying on word of mouth in this fanbase would an even bigger risk than in No Way Home's case. If they continue to take this route and reveal very little information about SV, then, coupled with the divisive reputation they will no doubt have at launch and the fact that most kids probably have a mainline Pokémon game on their Switch already (which means that parents may be less likely to buy these ones for their children, especially if we consider the brewing economic crisis fue to what's going on here in Europe), than they might end up selling more poorly then GF or Nintendo would want them to. The fact they're the first of a new Gen might let them sell more copies than BDSP, but even that isn't a certainty. And, at the end of the day, both Game Freak and Nintendo are businesses first and foremost and they'd want to sell as many copies of their games as they could. And they can't have the most sales without advertising enough things from their games to garner as much interest and excitement in them as they can.

Tl;dr - Game Freak not releasing too much info on SV because of overconfidence and/or arrogance is an insane gambit considering the reputation the Switch games have in the community and the current economic landscape and they'd have to be complete fools to mainly rely on its fanbase's word of mouth.

Well hopefully we'll get a trailer this week (maybe Wednesday?), but just in case it's better not to get hopes up too high.

So considering Koraidon and Miraidon are Both Dragon Types

This makes me wonder about the Pseudo Legendary of the Gen.

Will that be another Dragon Type? Or something else to contrast from the Box Legends?

Back
Top Bottom