• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SV Leaks and/or Rumours Thread

That's not convergent evolution that's divergent evolution, animals that are related and have similar features because of that. Convergent evolution is like Sugar Gliders and Flying Squirrels, animals that are similar but not closely related.

DAMMIT. I am really ashamed of myself right now. I did animal studies and i switched them up.

Whatever the case is with these, can we just admit RFake is a bad term for these? They don't need a term, but if people are gonna, let's at least give them something that actually sounds like a realistic term TPCI would use, like psuedo-legendary.
Agreed that they dont need a term but it's easier to call them Rfakes untill we have the actual names, I dont feel like referring to them as "Wiglett and the Tentacool like pokemon". And coming up with a different term is a waste of time sense it probably will be lost once the game comes out

Might be an extreme hot take here, but I don't think we should be calling them anything at all.

If the leaks are to be believed, there are only two Pokemon lines that have this "gimmick" applied to them: Wiglett and Mushcool (or whatever its real name is). That's really not enough members to form a proper sub-category, especially given that official Pokemon sub-categories like Regional Forms and Ultra Beasts started off with much more members (10 for Regionals and 7 for Ultra Beasts). Even Paradox Pokemon, the official sub-category that is being officially introduced, has 14 members.

The small number of members, combined with the fact that even GF isn't giving them an official name suggests to me that this could very well be just two one-off experiments that they are having fun with for this Gen, and we may never get this type of non-regional regional ever again. In which case, why bother arguing about what arbitrary category or name to assign to them? Why debate over whether to call them RFakes, Convergent Evolution, or whatever? GF clearly doesn't consider them worthy of a proper terminology, so why should we?

I'll gladly eat my words if we see more of them in Gen 10, but right now it seems like everyone's splitting hairs over something completely trivial. Khu stirring the pot isn't helping either.

Might be an extreme hot take here, but I don't think we should be calling them anything at all.

If the leaks are to be believed, there are only two Pokemon lines that have this "gimmick" applied to them: Wiglett and Mushcool (or whatever its real name is). That's really not enough members to form a proper sub-category, especially given that official Pokemon sub-categories like Regional Forms and Ultra Beasts started off with much more members (10 for Regionals and 7 for Ultra Beasts). Even Paradox Pokemon, the official sub-category that is being officially introduced, has 14 members.
They are clearly designed with a specific mentality, though. Even if GF never specifically groups them different, they are unique from ordinary pokemon and regional forms so I expect people to want to discuss ideas for potential new ones in the future and having a name for them isn't a bad idea. You may be right, and we could never get anymore; whereas discussion may not be necessary, but for the time being, a name just makes things simpler. Also, it's just in human nature to want to categorize things.

I'm open to suggestions, but I honestly don't have a problem with Regional Fakes. It just kind of makes sense to me.

Convergent Forms is a little too complex and is not a concept most people are immediately familiar with. Converge means "come together" so it doesn't really paint a clear picture without context.

Regional Fakes is similar to Regional Forms, but fake, which is what Wiglett is. My only suggestion would be something like PokeClones (as opposed to PikaClones). But I've always disliked the term pika clones.

Can we talk about how this may be the first time (or one of the first) the second version is likely to outsell the first version? I mean, and they're not even hiding how much they want it to! As if the color, the futuristic theme and the already revealed version exclusive mons weren't enough (Miraidon, Salamence and Ceruledge for Violet/Koraidon, Tyranitar and Armarouge for Scarlet), I just discovered Eiscue (violet) and Stonjourner (scarlet) are version exclusive too. I'm not a fan of Eiscue either and I'll end up buying both versions, but this should be the first time ever I'm glad my version will be missing a Pokémon!

(obviously I'm just kidding but I really don't like Stonjourner at all. Won't be missed on my main/violet playrun)

The small number of members, combined with the fact that even GF isn't giving them an official name suggests to me that this could very well be just two one-off experiments that they are having fun with for this Gen, and we may never get this type of non-regional regional ever again. In which case, why bother arguing about what arbitrary category or name to assign to them? Why debate over whether to call them RFakes, Convergent Evolution, or whatever? GF clearly doesn't consider them worthy of a proper terminology, so why should we?
There's two arguments I have to say about this:
  1. If we were to assume that Wiglett and mushroom "Tentacool" were originally conceived to be regional variants but were made into separate Pokémon because Game Freak couldn't logically justify turning a mole into a garden eel or having a jellyfish become a mushroom, you might be correct. However, given how Game Freak have been cutting more and more corners (including formerly standard features) and with the release window between titles getting shorter and shorter, I highly doubt those two examples will be the end of this trend for Game Freak. It might limited to two examples for now, but small things like these have a 50/50 chance of being followed up on by Game Freak regardless of how the audience reacts (like the Exp. Share now being permanent always-on feature instead of an option). Thus, having a proper term for the fanbase to refer to such Pokémon as is essentially preparation for the possible future.
  2. Having a small number of Pokémon doesn't really stop the fanbase from labeling something that seems to be significant between multiple evolutionary lines. As a fan base, we have referred to the Grass-Fire-Water monkeys of Unova as the elemental monkeys, which only consists of three evolutionary lines and doesn't have an official term. Having a fandom label that refers to two specific lines with the same kind of gimmick (coincidentally looking like old Pokémon in-universe) isn't too out there.
Basically, the fanbase making a term for a specific niche of Pokémon that we just got introduced to isn't that big of a deal. We might very well forget about it once there stops being more examples of it.

I'll gladly eat my words if we see more of them in Gen 10, but right now it seems like everyone's splitting hairs over something completely trivial. Khu stirring the pot isn't helping either.
Why wait until Gen 10? I could just as easily see Game Freak putting more 'fake variants'/convergent species into potential SV DLC as Pokédex/content filler just to avoid the "Most of the National Pokédex is in the game. Why not add the remaining Pokémon species?" and "why is there so little stuff added to the DLC, especially with the lack of repeatable content like battle facilities" fanbase arguments.

They are clearly designed with a specific mentality, though. Even if GF never specifically groups them different, they are unique from ordinary pokemon and regional forms so I expect people to want to discuss ideas for potential new ones in the future and having a name for them isn't a bad idea. You may be right, and we could never get anymore; whereas discussion may not be necessary, but for the time being, a name just makes things simpler. Also, it's just in human nature to want to categorize things.
Pretty much this.

I'm open to suggestions, but I honestly don't have a problem with Regional Fakes. It just kind of makes sense to me.

Convergent Forms is a little too complex and is not a concept most people are immediately familiar with. Converge means "come together" so it doesn't really paint a clear picture without context.

Regional Fakes is similar to Regional Forms, but fake, which is what Wiglett is. My only suggestion would be something like PokeClones (as opposed to PikaClones). But I've always disliked the term pika clones.
How about something like 'Poképosters'? There essentially imposters in that they fool the people into thinking they're some sort of variant of an entirely different species. Plus, this franchsie loved to use the "Poké–" prefix for most of its concepts.

How about something like 'Poképosters'? There essentially imposters in that they fool the people into thinking they're some sort of variant of an entirely different species. Plus, this franchsie loved to use the "Poké–" prefix for most of its concepts.
Or something like a mimicmon. Imposter-mon. Either way, its better than RFake.

Mimicmon or Imposter-mon implies one Pokemon adapted to look like the other, which may or may not be the case. And it'd lead to more debating like who came first Diglett or Wiglett, who is mimicking who?

I'll go against the majority and say that, at least for now, the best term would be RFakes. It's a phrase created after Khu's confusion as well so it fits very well. Even the people in the video thought Wiglett was a RForm. That's kinda the point GF is making, to confuse players into thinking it's an RForm and get a gotcha moment. RFakes are created to fool the player into thinking it's a form, but it's actually a whole different species.

Example, you are a native of an unknown region that only has Wigletts, you visit Kanto and see this Wiglett looking Poke and think it's a regional form, but it's a brand new Pokemon called Diglett!!!

So yeah RFakes work for me, or maybe even RFakeOuts.

I was writing some stuff here, but I better post the image.

3oDvWb8.png

I for sure should post source but I don't remember it anymore, image search gives nothing. Sorry.
Also, it gets some small details wrong and obviously is unupdated.

So, what are your final predictons for this season? Will maybe post mine later.

Editing with mine
S8oqDO8.png

I'd be cool with this.

Though, as Articfox pointed out in another thread, the previous trailer focused on things that were close to each other only (Fire Star Crew, Klawf and Grass GL), so (if that first trailer footage is anything to go by) if they're going to show Earthworm at some point, maybe they'll show Poison Star Leader instead of Dark, for example. Or maybe they won't show sushidragon without revealing water GL too. But I'm happy with my list.

Last edited:
Someone said "Regional Look-alikes." Much better than RFake.
There's something I find off putting about "look-alikes". Maybe it's too bland? If we're not trying to make it a pun on regional form, then I think we should leave off the 'regional' part. It's unnecessary.

I think it would be more fun to call them Bootleg Pokemon or Knock-offs. I say this because Wiglett reminds me of a cheap bootleg figurine. (In a good way because I unironically like to collect interesting ones)

Final suggestion would be something like "Parallel Pokemon" since it sounds a bit like "Paradox Pokemon." Also, I like the sound of parallel, because it can mean something that is similar to something else, but it also refers to two lines that don't cross. So it gets the point across that the Pokemon are similar but not related.

Wasn't the term basically described as "Convergent Evolution" a bit after the rumors initially came out?
Why couldn't we just refer it to that?
I mean, the trailer for Wiglett basically described it as such anyways.

I really really like Ed Sheeran's song and the work they put into the video. Music is a matter of taste and for me his works are above all these other mediorcre pop artists stuff.

Actually Khu said that the song will be played in the final chapter of the game. Ending? Epilogue?

Khu is apparently saying that Paradox Jigglypuff is based on the aboriginal rather than a vampire. Thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom