• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SV Leaks and/or Rumours Thread

By that logic; future pokemon just shouldn't have dex numbers anymore. That way, they can all be included in the game without taking up any "spots".
Ehm, no? Clearly the problem here is that that spot is wasted by a clone.

My two cents: I can understand and respect why some people are worried and insatisfied about Game Freak, for the first time, breaking the boundary of "we shall not use simple recolors as totally new Pokemon" rule.

But here's a few things: Game Freak may consider new forms as new Pokemon too, and maybe that's why more recent games have had less totally new Pokémon. I've always wondered if some regional forms, like Alolan Ninetales and Hisuian Braviary, weren't initially new Pokémon concepts that were just redesigned to function as a RF, perhaps because they found it to be "too similar" to existing Pokémon already (ths can be a new, post-Unova, thing), perhaps because they would rather cater to the "popularity" of older Pokémon, or both of those.

I also personally liked that apparently they tried to use logic on this one too. I would be ok if , as a new Pokémon, if it was a little more different than Diglett for sure, but I wouldn't like it if it was a regional variant, since would not make much sense (not that Alolan Raichu makes much sense either, but perhaps we can do better?).

And maybe this won't become a trend or something that replaces truly new Pokémon in the future at all. Again, I can understand people concern, but I think even if we don't count Paradox, Wiglett line and MushroomCool line, we'll still have the same number of totally new Pokemon as the latest previous generations, so maybe it won't become something that replace others, but that just adds on. Also, for being new Pokémon, maybe Diglett appears in some game that Wiglett doesn't.

I'm not saying this to make people stop complaining about what they don't like, it's just my opinion.

Moreover, personally, there are so many other things that I worry more about regarding this game. Like the map, that for a supposed $60 AAA open world 2022 game seems pretty small.

And how is Alolan Meowth NOT taking up a "spot" when it's included?
Again?

I'm not talking about designs, I'm talking of actual spots in the dex. Let's say Gen 10 will have a regional pokedex of 400 pokemon. All three Meowth will occupy the same spot (1). Diglett and Wiglett will occupy different spots (2). This means two pokemon will be left out from gen 10 to make space to Wiglett and Wugtrio, which are basically Diglett and Dugtrio in pink.

I think some Pokémon are harder to make/transfer than others, and this probably weighs into the decision, too.

I could not help but see a screenshot in which that leaker is trying to backtrack on being wrong about mistaking Wiglett for a regional form, when he admitted it himself in the past? :wynaut:

Last edited:
Because they share a National Dex number.
And why does that matter? Please. I'm just trying to understand. Alolan Meowth still has to be textured and animated and have all the work done that a completely new pokemon would need including a unique dex entry description. Why does it not detract from the possibility of a different pokemon making it into a game?

Does anyone have that old image of a speculative Wiglett, that was like an eel with a cheek pouch?

I drew something kind of like that, but it was dugtrio, not diglett

index.php

Is this what you were thinking of?

And why does that matter? Please. I'm just trying to understand. Alolan Meowth still has to be textured and animated and have all the work done that a completely new pokemon would need including a unique dex entry description. Why does it not detract from the possibility of a different pokemon making it into a game?
I don't think anyone can say for sure whether or not things like this influences the amount of totally new Pokemon they include or the amount of Pokémon in a game. But you could also say that a Pokémon like Alolan Meowth or Wiglett is easier and faster for a designer to come up with, as well as being easier to model and also to animate than a completely new monster, at least in the case of Alolan Meowth. And if I remember correctly, some leaker said regional forms (not natively in game) will also no longer have dex entries, but this is a minor thing and I'm not sure if this is correct

Interesting, Nintendo is conducting a survey about Pokémon, with the main point of it being SV. This seems pretty in line with some thoughts I've been thinking about these games, about the marketing of these games and how they're going to do in sales compared to SwSh.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if I can explain it very well, but I think it hinges on the idea that GF considers all Meowths "the same Pokemon" when they are creating a Regional Dex. So if they were putting together a Regional Dex of 400 Pokemon and they wanted to include all the Meowths, they would only take up 2 "Pokedex slots" (3 if you count Perrserker). However, if they wanted to include both Diglett and Wiglett, they would take up 4 "Pokedex slots" instead. So that's 2 "Pokedex slots" that could have gone to some other Pokemon if Wiglett was considered a Regional Form.

This is of course assuming that GF decides the number of Pokemon in the Regional Dex in advance before populating it with Pokemon, with the alternative being that they the size of the Regional Dex is determined by how much "work hours" they have available for different designs. I'm not sure if we have any official confirmation either way on which method they use.

I'm not talking about designs, I'm talking of actual spots in the dex. Let's say Gen 10 will have a regional pokedex of 400 pokemon. All three Meowth will occupy the same spot (1). Diglett and Wiglett will occupy different spots (2). This means two pokemon will be left out from gen 10 to make space to Wiglett and Wugtrio, which are basically Diglett and Dugtrio in pink.
The logic described here makes the assumption that whenever they decide to include Diglett in a Pokedex, they will also include Wiglett. As others have pointed out, I think this is a very big assumption to make, especially since they are being treated as different Pokemon instead of being the same.

In fact, I would argue that because Diglett and Wiglett are being treated as separate Pokemon, it is less likely for them to be included in the same game in the future, since GF isn't obligated to include them together in the same way they are obligated to include all Regional Forms of the same Pokemon. You can see this in SWSH, where they included all of the past regional forms in the game.

Of course, until the next game comes out, we won't know for sure how GF will decide to handle this moving forward. I'm not really sold on Wiglett as a concept either, but I'm choosing to reserve judgement about the implications for future games for now.

Last edited:
Why are people pretending Wiglett is a literal recolor when it is not. It is quite similar but it moves differently, it's face is in a different location, and it has a different posture. They made an entirely new model and deliberately made it similar to Diglett in reference to the garden eel behaving like a Diglett. They did not recycle Diglett's model or otherwise take any shortcuts in the design process.

I'm not sure if I can explain it very well, but I think it hinges on the idea that GF considers all Meowths "the same Pokemon" when they are creating a Regional Dex. So if they were putting together a Regional Dex of 400 Pokemon and they wanted to include all the Meowths, they would only take up 2 "Pokedex slots" (3 if you count Perrserker). However, if they wanted to include both Diglett and Wiglett, they would take up 4 "Pokedex slots" instead. So that's 2 "Pokedex slots" that could have gone to some other Pokemon if Wiglett was considered a Regional Form.

This is of course assuming that GF decides the number of Pokemon in the Regional Dex in advance before populating it with Pokemon, with the alternative being that they the size of the Regional Dex is determined by how much "work hours" they have available for different designs. I'm not sure if we have any official confirmation either way on which method they use.

I kind of understand this, but the number of slots in a regional Pokedex is arbitrary - not a fixed rule. if they want a dex of 400 Pokemon, and end up with a list of 401, the chances are they can just make that number 401, or make a mythical number 0.

We have only had two sets of games with Regional evolutions, and four with Regional Variants. Hardly enough to see what trend will be used in the future.

Why are people pretending Wiglett is a literal recolor when it is not. It is quite similar but it moves differently, it's face is in a different location, and it has a different posture. They made an entirely new model and deliberately made it similar to Diglett in reference to the garden eel behaving like a Diglett. They did not recycle Diglett's model or otherwise take any shortcuts in the design process.
I think it just needs a little something extra for people to warm up to it more. I'm still holding out hope that a future trailer will show its "nose" opening up to reveal rows of sharp teeth or a lamprey mouth, just to make it abundantly clear that it really isn't a Diglett at all.

There's also the question of what the hypothetical "Wugtrio" will look like. We know that it will be pink in color, but pretty much nothing else. Typing, Ability, and Stats are other major factors we don't really know enough about, which could make the line more appealing outside of the design choices.

I think it just needs a little something extra for people to warm up to it more. I'm still holding out hope that a future trailer will show its "nose" opening up to reveal rows of sharp teeth or a lamprey mouth, just to make it abundantly clear that it really isn't a Diglett at all.
I mean, garden eels have upsidedown U shaped mouths so if anything thr nose is the chin and it will have a Muppet mouth.

Back
Top Bottom