• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Leaks/Rumors Thread

If this is a hint, then it sounds like we only get one of these?
It had better not be the damn candies, I swear.

Well, it already seems like held items are gone so we can cross out that one. If i had to guess it would be IVs. Candies would just suck to be the one and it's reasonable to imagine people don't know how to make Pokémon breed yet. (That and I feel like if breeding was in the game, we would have seen it on the pokedex completion page for Shinx)

I already find Pokemon games far too grindy for my tastes (I'm in favor of the recent games' Experience Share for that reason), so this doesn't sound any different, it's just catching-focused grinding instead of battle-focused. Lateral move, in my mind.

Of those four elements-- I think it's candies, partially because they're a relatively recent mechanic that I could see Gamefreak wanting to explore more, and partially because:

1. held items seem to be out, based on screenshots-- Held items were such a game changer that I loved dearly back in gen 2, but I'm willing to give them up to streamline things. Honestly abilities seem like a better version of the same concept and while abilities are out for now, I'm hoping that in future games they'll bring them back as they work out the balance of this new combat system.

2. As others have pointed out in that Tweet thread, stats seem to work differently now, so IVs might be gone-- good riddance. I sincerely hope we're finally rid of the IV system and the weird eugenics program it encourages.

3. Speaking of Pokemon eugenics, breeding: I like the concept in theory, but it's never been terribly interesting in practice. Inheritable moves is a weird Lamarckian concept anyway. I'll be glad to be done with the stupid incense system for the later babies. If the game is as catching-focused as Khu says, then giving us an infinite stock of certain species through breeding seems like something they would try to avoid, so it kinda tracks if breeding's out.

Khu compared this game to Let's Go, and candies and no held items or breeding were some of the stuff they were trying out there, so it all lines up in my mind. I get the impression that this game grew out of stuff they were experimenting with in LGPE and the Expansion Pass specifically. I'll be interested in how much staff crossover there is between LA and those two projects.

I was never really expecting breeding in this game, and I wouldn't miss IVs. Hold items...I think they got a bit out of hand after gen 2, but removing them now would feel weird. I think I'd be fine with it, though.

I was (still am?) kinda expecting IV to stay as an internal thing for transfer purpose, but I probably wouldn't miss it if it doesn't affect the stats in L:A. I'm not much of a hardcore minmaxer anyway.

Ugh. I will be so irritated if candies wind up being the thing that sticks around. It's nonsensical and has never been an appealing concept at any point in time. The most enjoyment I have ever gotten out of them was imagining that the pokemon you transferred in GO were ground up to make those candies. That's it. It's a horribly lame system otherwise.

And what are we basing the lack of Held Items on? Because "Items Carried" seemed in favor of held items being a thing, unless it's just things you can get when you defeat one. Nothing else seems to really point against it, that I'm seeing.

CgRM4sG.png

Last edited:
Khu compared this game to Let's Go, and candies and no held items or breeding were some of the stuff they were trying out there, so it all lines up in my mind.
Were candies even a thing in Meiji era Japan though? If not, I can’t see how they would justify them being part of the setting.

Were candies even a thing in Meiji era Japan though? If not, I can’t see how they would justify them being part of the setting.

From Google-
Emperor Jinmu, Japan's first emperor, is said to have first made candy to bring happiness to people and peace to the country with its sweet taste. Candy became more widespread as part of people's lives in the Edo Period (1603–1867) when they were eaten as sweets by the common people.

So unfortunately, it wouldn't be out of place.
Still stupid, though.

To be fair, GF shouldn't be excused for anything, if it doesn't turn out to be so good. They've got plenty of experience and funds. The core gameplay is also still roughly the same (catching/battling).
Oops, turns out I'm deleting my point. I'm not excusing GF, just saying that expecting something like new Snap as the developer is now would be kind of unrealistic. As I said, their experiences is mostly main-series Pokémon, so the first entry of Legends doesn't deviate too far from the main-series is expected.

Anyway, a 'privatised' video has been spotted on Youtube: The list for the Legends:Arceus trailers shows "2/3 videos", one being invisible.

Seeing how the last tuesday of the month has had a trailer since September started, coming tuesday might once again be the moment for it.
A redditor confirms that it's an old video. It's just limited to Singaporean audience for some reason.

And what are we basing the lack of Held Items on? Because "Items Carried" seemed in favor of held items being a thing, unless it's just things you can get when you defeat one. Nothing else seems to really point against it, that I'm seeing.
IIRC, it's in the Pasture menu where you can look at other stats but not held items.

Oops, turns out I'm deleting my point. I'm not excusing GF, just saying that expecting something like new Snap as the developer is now would be kind of unrealistic. As I said, their experiences is mostly main-series Pokémon, so the first entry of Legends doesn't deviate too far from the main-series is expected.

A redditor confirms that it's an old video. It's just limited to Singaporean audience for some reason.

IIRC, it's in the Pasture menu where you can look at other stats but not held items.
Aah, thanks for the clarifications!

Aaaah, thank you! Welp, that rules one out. Guess carried items must be received upon defeating a pokemon, then.

Please let the one thing be IVs or breeding, then. Breeding would be great to include for pokedex studies anyway, right?? Way better than stupid candies? Oh just please, for the love of everything, Game Freak, keep the stupid candy system out of this game. I hate it.

Without held items, there's no incense, though... so breeding... oof.
I'll cross my fingers for IVs. Candies need to stay the heck on GO where they belong and are still a stupid system.

This tweet made me think it's going to be breeding. Though not the "traditional" breeding.

The original tweet they were responding to was apparently notes on the inheritance of forms.

I really do wonder if regional variants from other regions might be available in this game in order to be studied for our pokedex. Especially with the starters acquiring new evo forms somehow. Kinda feels like the concept of regional variants is about to be in need of more explanation.

Not really. For a game called Legends: Arceus, I expect a deep dive into its lore.
I second this. The moment your game is called "Legends: Arceus" and you dive into the far past to show how modern day Sinnoh was created and you tehn do nothing with Arceus which has a lot of potential to work with in terms of directions, you basically dropped the ball and nullify the entire need/reason for the game.

:lapras:
:confused:

is it confirmed that Arceus is not really in the game??

If so, perhaps they couldn't yet design the scenes and interactions as they wished and maybe it will be ready for a DLC later on!

Otherwise, maybe it has always been planned to be DLC, so that everyone will be accustomed to the gameplay style, and have their full teams ready!

I am trying to remember if anything has leaked about the Lake Trio yet either, maybe they are all going to be in a special DLC (which hopefully would be free, just kept as a DLC so it could be a surprise!)

:lapras:
:confused:

is it confirmed that Arceus is not really in the game??

If so, perhaps they couldn't yet design the scenes and interactions as they wished and maybe it will be ready for a DLC later on!

Otherwise, maybe it has always been planned to be DLC, so that everyone will be accustomed to the gameplay style, and have their full teams ready!

I am trying to remember if anything has leaked about the Lake Trio yet either, maybe they are all going to be in a special DLC (which hopefully would be free, just kept as a DLC so it could be a surprise!)
It'd be really odd not to have Arceus. It's even on the site.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom