• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Leaks/Rumors Thread

I think they’ve caught most of the insider leakers. I haven’t seen anything that correctly predicted BDSP or Legends. I guess TPCi had to start getting better at preventing this kind of thing sometime lol. Won’t stop future hires or data miners, though.

So I can assume we've had no leaks that called PLA then? I think thats a first, I can remember every game up till now having a pre reveal leak since oras
Someone leaked the content of the Presents video a few hours early, and those screenshots surfaced around the same time, but that's it.

Last edited:
I think it's a bit too early for leaks. I mean we know very little about the games, so it's possible that some leaks are out there but we just cannot confirm them as leaks yet.

Usually we get an early leak with some information, so once the game is announced we can infer the rest of the leak (although that might be misleading). This time we only have the screenshots. Anything else was posted after the announcement.

Usually we get an early leak with some information, so once the game is announced we can infer the rest of the leak (although that might be misleading). This time we only have the screenshots.
I see. I think we don't have those kind of leaks because the game is still only in the hands of GF. It's too soon for localization and probably the only footage that could have been leaked was the one that was shown to the investors in January (which actually leaked).

I see. I think we don't have those kind of leaks because the game is still only in the hands of GF. It's too soon for localization and probably the only footage that could have been leaked was the one that was shown to the investors in January (which actually leaked).
That really didn't stop the confidential final forms of the Alolan starters from leaking near immediately. Then again, considering Ash, that may have been just anime production art. Meaning by that point it was already out of Game Freak's hands and being animated while the game was still being programmed. But even so, that still doesn't change the swiftness of the final evo leaks or Wottergate and the Pansage toy before it.

Either way, due to everything that's happened in the past, maybe they found the holes (the anime, toy companies, risky localizers) and managed to patch things up enough that the most that has leaked so far has been some footage and bits of a powerpoint presentation a few minutes before the presentation. Maybe the holes they forgot to plug were the risky social media managers and some random secretary or janitor that wondered into the board meeting.

That really didn't stop the confidential final forms of the Alolan starters from leaking near immediately. Then again, considering Ash, that may have been just anime production art. Meaning by that point it was already out of Game Freak's hands and being animated while the game was still being programmed. But even so, that still doesn't change the swiftness of the final evo leaks or Wottergate and the Pansage toy before it.

Either way, due to everything that's happened in the past, maybe they found the holes (the anime, toy companies, risky localizers) and managed to patch things up enough that the most that has leaked so far has been some footage and bits of a powerpoint presentation a few minutes before the presentation. Maybe the holes they forgot to plug were the risky social media managers and some random secretary or janitor that wondered into the board meeting.
If I remember correctly the final forms of the alola starters leaked in May (just some days after the starters were announed and when localization had already began) and the games were released in November. Now, Legends was announced in February but will be released at least a year after the announcement. This is why I believe the game is still in the hands of GF only.

We didn't get any real BDSP leaks until right before the announcement, though. Except for the domain registration, but that isn't a leak.

In February 2016, SM were vaguely leaked by someone who talked about the Rainbow codename and anniversary theme (which was exaggerated, but still). I guess BDSP might not need localization just yet for obvious reasons.

We didn't get any real BDSP leaks until right before the announcement, though. Except for the domain registration, but that isn't a leak.

In February 2016, SM were vaguely leaked by someone who talked about the Rainbow codename and anniversary theme (which was exaggerated, but still). I guess BDSP might not need localization just yet for obvious reasons.
Maybe there's not much to leak? :) I mean, if these are faithful remakes the only thing that could have leaked is the art style. We have one rumor claiming that the remakes would have been "simple" remakes.

Maybe there's not much to leak? :) I mean, if these are faithful remakes the only thing that could have leaked is the art style. We have one rumor claiming that the remakes would have been "simple" remakes.
Did it say anything else? No mention of the chibi style?

Did it say anything else? No mention of the chibi style?
No.
Immagine.png

This rumor just doesn't make sense at all.
  • We're supposed to believe they know about BDSP and LoA, which would mean knowing that BDSP wasn't being developed by Game Freak, but they don't mention that at all.
  • "Game Freak is including all Pokemon in Sword and Shield" is just laughable at this point.
  • A third DLC, even though you can buy a copy of SwSh with Crown Tundra and Isle of Armor that's branded as "Complete Edition"
  • Why would anyone know the release schedule for the next three years and have an estimate of how many Pokemon were being added in DLC? Advertising for DLC hasn't given specific numbers IIRC, just "More Pokemon are included!", so it doesn't make sense for it to be someone in advertising. And if it was someone working on the games themselves, why are they being given information about every project in development?

Yeah that’s a fake rumor. 100%. They very clearly threw in the “Project Kingin” part because of the assumption that Let’s Go Johto or a HGSS port would happen soon after a DP remake (kingin = gold silver).

Project names for games have never been direct like that.

Yeah that’s a fake rumor. 100%. They very clearly threw in the “Project Kingin” part because of the assumption that Let’s Go Johto or a HGSS port would happen soon after a DP remake (kingin = gold silver).

Project names for games have never been direct like that.
Are we sure "Project Kingin" couldn't be referring to Legends: Arceus instead of Johto games? Gold and silver were used as money for trade in most places around the world for quite a while before we started using a bunch of different currencies. Since these games are about colonizing Sinnoh and mining is a big part of the Sinnoh experience, it's possible that gold and silver are this game's currency. I wouldn't be surprised if our main method of getting money in these games involved digging up these metals since we likely won't get many trainer battles (if any) due to the premise.

Are we sure "Project Kingin" couldn't be referring to Legends: Arceus instead of Johto games? Gold and silver were used as money for trade in most places around the world for quite a while before we started using a bunch of different currencies. Since these games are about colonizing Sinnoh and mining is a big part of the Sinnoh experience, it's possible that gold and silver are this game's currency. I wouldn't be surprised if our main method of getting money in these games involved digging up these metals since we likely won't get many trainer battles (if any) due to the premise.

There also could literally be a heavy relationship with Johto in LA. We know that people traversed from Sinnoh to Johto back in the old days because of the Sinjoh Ruins, and a Johto starter is featured in LA. I think different groups of people from various regions will play a role in LA. I can think of direct links to Sinnoh with each region that is represented by a starter. Johto has the Sinjoh Ruins link, Unova has the Cave of Being that looks like a Lake Trio cave, that's said to lead to the Sinnoh region, Alola has Silvally and RKS links, I think you'll see a group from Johto that worships the creation trio, a group from Alola who worships the Lake trio, and a group from Alola that worships Arceus itself. This would cover the mascot legendary and the two main legendary trios that Arceus presides over, but anyways, back to the whole name thing, I think it was named that in part to PREVENT this game from being leaked. People would read that and assume it's the Johto remakes that people expected would shortly follow a Sinnoh remake.

We know that Legends: Arceus is one of the best-kept secrets ever, literally nobody had a shred of an idea of a game like this existing even when the footage leaked (people assumed that footage was the Sinnoh remakes), so I could see Game Freak throwing a curve ball with that intentional code name. Of course there could be the currency tie-in too, there could be lots of reasons, but I think this was the only leak that actually had information on LA, even if it was pretty vague, nobody could've predicted we'd get a past Sinnoh game lol

For comparison, some past codenames:

BW2 - Swan (I forget if this was in Japanese or not)
XY - Kujira (whale)
ORAS- Sango (coral)
SuMo- Niji (rainbow)
USUM- momiji (autumn leaves)
LGPE - Beluga
SwSh- Hero

(I can try to get direct citations if you need, but I remember SuMo and SwSh were found in the filenames for the title assets, and XY and ORAS are actually still the process names, so 3DS hackers use them when editing the games)

For seven games in a row, they've never made codenames so on-the-nose as naming it for a specific game mechanic. Why would they suddenly change their minds now?
I think different groups of people from various regions will play a role in LA. I can think of direct links to Sinnoh with each region that is represented by a starter. Johto has the Sinjoh Ruins link, Unova has the Cave of Being that looks like a Lake Trio cave, that's said to lead to the Sinnoh region, Alola has Silvally and RKS links, I think you'll see a group from Johto that worships the creation trio, a group from Unova who worships the Lake trio, and a group from Alola that worships Arceus itself. This would cover the mascot legendary and the two main legendary trios that Arceus presides over,
If there were going to be groups worshipping Sinnoh legendaries, I don't see why they'd need to be from other regions. Wouldn't it be more interesting to have people from other regions compare and contrast the regions instead of just immediately acclimating to Sinnoh's culture?

And all these links to the other regions are tenuous at best.

If we're using the Sinjoh Ruins as a base, then Johto should have people worshipping Arceus, not the creation trio. That's who the Sinjoh Ruins were built for.
"This is the Mystri Stage. The mythical stage built to show respect for Arceus. It is said that people used to celebrate its magnificent might with music and dance. Some people in Johto still pass down this tradition."
Not to mention, Cynthia also says that the Sinjoh Ruins were built by Sinnoh natives who moved closer to Johto, not people from Johto who went to Sinnoh and came back.

A long time ago... people came from Sinnoh to live here. They must have built a temple here while longing for home.

Unova's Cave of Being doesn't have any sort of significance to the people there. When you talk to Professor Juniper in there, she specifically comments on how she's impressed you noticed the location.
"Why, if it isn't <player>! That's someone with a Pokédex for you, noticing a place like this!"
"Still...this space... It's hard to put into words, but it feels full of something..."
It's really just there to have a convenient DP reference to let the player get the Lake guardians. So why make a group of Unovans to reference a lake that reference a Sinnoh location and legend when you could just get the original, which is the current setting of your game?

And Alola's connection to Arceus is a modern-day science project analyzing it as a tool, not as a deity- it's really the opposite of how Sinnoh's population interacts with it.

I think it was named that in part to PREVENT this game from being leaked. People would read that and assume it's the Johto remakes that people expected would shortly follow a Sinnoh remake.
You say that like people are going on spy missions to Game Freak and uncovering files lol. I really can't think of any reason why anyone would see a project name and not have access to any other kind of information about it. That plan also hinges on someone being interested in leaking the games but somehow not wanting to share anything when they found out there were going to be Gen 2 remakes, as if someone would just completely ignore leaking an upcoming mainline Pokemon game just because it was a remake some people expected. (Which honestly isn't even a fandom consensus of any kind, there's plenty of debate about whether we should expect a Let's Go Johto or not. DP remakes were called by way more people)

For comparison, some past codenames:

BW2 - Swan (I forget if this was in Japanese or not)
XY - Kujira (whale)
ORAS- Sango (coral)
SuMo- Niji (rainbow)
USUM- momiji (autumn leaves)
LGPE - Beluga
SwSh- Hero

(I can try to get direct citations if you need, but I remember SuMo and SwSh were found in the filenames for the title assets, and XY and ORAS are actually still the process names, so 3DS hackers use them when editing the games)

For seven games in a row, they've never made codenames so on-the-nose as naming it for a specific game mechanic. Why would they suddenly change their minds now?
There's also no specific pattern to how those code names are named either:
  • SuMo's codename refers to how Hawaii is the Rainbow state
  • SwSh's codename refers to the heroes of the Darkest Day
  • LGPE's codename is just a reference to software they used to develop those games

This isn't to say that I 100% buy into this rumor, just that dismissing it on the assumption that "Project Kingin is just an incorrect prediction of new Johto games" doesn't really hold when code names have no pattern to them in the first place. In that regard, "Kingin" isn't really on-the-nose in terms of what this game is about anyways.

Besides, doing something just because it's never been done before is actually a reason why Game Freak would give Legends: Arceus such a codename. They always want to do something different, which is why they keep changing everything up even when they finally get something right that people think should be a series mainstay.

There also could literally be a heavy relationship with Johto in LA. We know that people traversed from Sinnoh to Johto back in the old days because of the Sinjoh Ruins, and a Johto starter is featured in LA. I think different groups of people from various regions will play a role in LA. I can think of direct links to Sinnoh with each region that is represented by a starter. Johto has the Sinjoh Ruins link, Unova has the Cave of Being that looks like a Lake Trio cave, that's said to lead to the Sinnoh region, Alola has Silvally and RKS links, I think you'll see a group from Johto that worships the creation trio, a group from Alola who worships the Lake trio, and a group from Alola that worships Arceus itself. This would cover the mascot legendary and the two main legendary trios that Arceus presides over, but anyways, back to the whole name thing, I think it was named that in part to PREVENT this game from being leaked. People would read that and assume it's the Johto remakes that people expected would shortly follow a Sinnoh remake.

We know that Legends: Arceus is one of the best-kept secrets ever, literally nobody had a shred of an idea of a game like this existing even when the footage leaked (people assumed that footage was the Sinnoh remakes), so I could see Game Freak throwing a curve ball with that intentional code name. Of course there could be the currency tie-in too, there could be lots of reasons, but I think this was the only leak that actually had information on LA, even if it was pretty vague, nobody could've predicted we'd get a past Sinnoh game lol
This is a very valid way to interpret this, especially since Sinnoh and Johto do have an established connection. However, I think the choice behind the codename is more likely that they wanted to throw people off to prevent leaks and/or wanted to focus on being named after currency. You're assuming Game Freak even remembers the lore connection behind the Sinjoh Ruins in the first place.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom