• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Leaks/Rumors Thread

Well, the original games only got 4 months of real coverage,
I’m guessing marketing techniques of 10+ years ago won’t really play a factor for the promotion right now. If there are any differences between the originals and the new games, the marketing season is the time to show it off, because the only argument for it not being a 1:1 remake + QoL changes is "We've only seen one trailer!"
My educated guess still is that it’s probably just going to be "Diamond and Pearl but now in XY-similar art style + no HMs”.

I’m guessing marketing techniques of 10+ years ago won’t really play a factor for the promotion right now. If there are any differences between the originals and the new games, the marketing season is the time to show it off, because the only argument for it not being a 1:1 remake + QoL changes is "We've only seen one trailer!"
My educated guess still is that it’s probably just going to be "Diamond and Pearl but now in XY-similar art style + no HMs”.
That's my point. There's barely anything new and so it's impossible to argue that BDSP need more than 4 months, which worked for DP (only around 30 Pokemon were revealed, even though Munchlax was revealed two years in advance).

I guess they’ll devote a trailer for the new HM replacement, + some of the QoL features and that’s it. Maybe one trailer if they decide to include the older Megas in the post game.

I guess they’ll devote a trailer for the new HM replacement, + some of the QoL features and that’s it. Maybe one trailer if they decide to include the older Megas in the post game.
I forgot that they would even need an HM replacement. XD Consider that the only thing that has my interest about these remakes now, unless we get another Meltan situation. And if the HM replacement system isn't centered around bidoof, I will absolutely consider that a failure.

I forgot that they would even need an HM replacement. XD Consider that the only thing that has my interest about these remakes now, unless we get another Meltan situation. And if the HM replacement system isn't centered around bidoof, I will absolutely consider that a failure.
Imagine there is a Bidoof operative team like the firefighter Squirtle squad from anime. We encounter an injured Bidoof at route 2 and help it get better. After we beat the 1st gym, we encounter a bunch of them again in the Ravaged Path. There, they offer us help to use Rock Smash and whenever we need them we can call them with Bidoof Whistle and one of them comes and help us. And then we encounter them in front of Team Galactic Eterna Building for cut etc. For surf and waterfall, the big guns come to help the twin Bibarel brothers. Every member has a different hat/scarf/tool and personality so you can differentiate them. For the post-game, there is a trial-type thing with the Bidoof Crew where there is a story and missions and at the end, you battle an lvl100 Bidoof or a totem Bidoof in a secret passage from Route1.

I'm frankly excited to see what the new meltan is. Considering meltan's lugnut head somewhat alluding to galar by way of it resembling curtana's pommel, I wonder if something similar is likely for whatever the new one is.

I'm frankly excited to see what the new meltan is. Considering meltan's lugnut head somewhat alluding to galar by way of it resembling curtana's pommel, I wonder if something similar is likely for whatever the new one is.
That's arguably the DLC bear, to be honest. It isn't native to Galar and may end up in Legends due to the honey motif. There will probably be a new mythical (in BDSP, too?), but the comparison to Meltan is iffy if Go isn't involved.

That's arguably the DLC bear, to be honest. It isn't native to Galar and may end up in Legends due to the honey motif. There will probably be a new mythical (in BDSP, too?), but the comparison to Meltan is iffy if Go isn't involved.

Well, Meltan is really just shorthand for a new pokemon or form, not the mechanics of how we got it. Which we've had at least one new pokemon/form to promote every new addition to the main series since Gen 6 at this point, so it'd actually be kind of a surprise now if they didn't give us anything.

Considering...
ORAS - new Mega Evolutions
USUM - Dusk Lycanroc and new UBs
LGPE - Meltan
IoA - Kubfu and Galarian Slowpoke
CT - Calyrex, Galarian birds and new Regis

My point is that it could just be a conventional mythical.
And I mean yeah, probably. XD I'm not sure that anyone really cares about the mechanics behind Meltan at this point, it's more just the concept of what the new game-promoting pokemon is gonna be. The whole Go tie-in wasn't super popular anyhow, as I recall (although I appreciated it despite it being unobtainable to me on account of refusing to play LGPE anyway).

Past leakers also had well established conventions (gym leaders, new starters, evolutions, megas, forms) to follow, these games have no staring points for fakers to go off

I am really surprised how quiet the leak front has been for this, as well as BDSP. I feel by this time in the UltraSun/UltraMoon cycle (the last remake/third edition) we knew about Giovanni and Rainbow Rocket (whether or not we believed is one thing but it had been leaked). I'm not used to things being this quiet.... makes me nervous

Better that way.

Eh, disagree. Fake leaks (and real leaks) keep people talking about games for months, which keeps attention on them and drives up hype. Waiting for official drops means people are only talking about them for days. Less attention, hype much lower, whole thing blows over more quickly.

Leaks, no matter how fake, real or stupid, are really underappreciated free marketing.

Fake leaks (and real leaks) keep people talking about games for months, which keeps attention on them and drives up hype.
Do they really, though? Most of the time, both fake and real leaks are only found and discussed by fans that are already pretty tuned into the news cycle- it's not like there's a large group of fans that aren't interested in/forget about new games that are drawn back because they saw something on a forum or PokeTuber account. Videos on fake leaks are only reaching a fraction of the audience that watches Pokemon's videos- the most-viewed that I could find from SwSh leak season only hit a fifth of the trailer's views, and
1628642585656.png

1628642575139.png
And that, in turn was not even 5% of SwSh's 21 million+ sales. Even if we pretended that every single view on that fake leak lead to one more person buying SwSh, it's a miniscule contribution.

And if someone's hyped to buy a game because of a fake claim, wouldn't that hype disappear with the leak's credibility?

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom