• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Leaks/Rumors Thread

Ohmori tried to shake the formula with S/M but he litterally didn't have enough resources to create good things. I remember him saying that he had to program some trials alone cause he didn't have any programmer available. So, the question is not simply who is directing gen 9, but how long it has been in development and how many resources TPCi invested in it.
Let's also say that Sw/Sh were pretty controversial games for the community but sold plenty of copies, so who knows if they let Ohmori try again with Gen 9.

Ohmori tried to shake the formula with S/M but he litterally didn't have enough resources to create good things. I remember him saying that he had to program some trials alone cause he didn't have any programmer available. So, the question is not simply who is directing gen 9, but how long it has been in development and how many resources TPCi invested in it.
Let's also say that Sw/Sh were pretty controversial games for the community but sold plenty of copies, so who knows if they let Ohmori try again with Gen 9.
Well Unno did great with B2W2 and Iwao improved USUM greatly... Ohmori's great advantage is his quality of life ideas and his plot and story telling, cause everyone can agree SM had a compelling plot and Ohmori can shake a formula or two... It is not like he will be gone it is just I wanna see Iwao and Unno direct another game with how they handle past games and proven there worth...

I still do want James turner to be the art director his western approach sure gives new mons a great design though

Well Unno did great with B2W2 and Iwao improved USUM greatly... Ohmori's great advantage is his quality of life ideas and his plot and story telling, cause everyone can agree SM had a compelling plot and Ohmori can shake a formula or two... It is not like he will be gone it is just I wanna see Iwao and Unno direct another game with how they handle past games and proven there worth...

I still do want James turner to be the art director his western approach sure gives new mons a great design though
Oof please no, James as art director is one thing I don't want to see again as far as the pokemon are concerned. Gen 8 was such a let down after Gen 7, and other than the great edit that was Shadow Lugia, I am not a fan of any of his pokemon designs.

Oof please no, James as art director is one thing I don't want to see again as far as the pokemon are concerned. Gen 8 was such a let down after Gen 7, and other than the great edit that was Shadow Lugia, I am not a fan of any of his pokemon designs.
It’s a matter of personal opinion, I guess, although I’ll be quite happy with another art director for the next game.

I think there were lots of good designs in Gen 8, but also the lows, were quite low.

Outside of the art direction, I hope Gen 9 avoids the (in my opinion) one glaring issue as the last two gens had: the overwhelming numbers of slow Pokémon (Gen 7) and numbers of single typing Pokémon (Gen 8).

I also hope for typing combinations we didn't have before. There are many types that haven't been combined together yet, so it would be nice to have at least a few of those combinations become real in Gen 9.

Gen 8 was such a let down after Gen 7, and other than the great edit that was Shadow Lugia, I am not a fan of any of his pokemon designs.
I checked what he designed and actually some i like a lot like Golurk, Trevenant, Centiskorch, Obstagoon and Polteageist.

Outside of the art direction, I hope Gen 9 avoids the (in my opinion) one glaring issue as the last two gens had: the overwhelming numbers of slow Pokémon (Gen 7) and numbers of single typing Pokémon (Gen 8).
I really didn't liked how plenty of pokemon in Gen 7 and Gen 8 (yes, happened in here too) were slow with average to terrible bulk. It makes some of them unironically unusable in the main story because they get constantly outsped and take major damage.

Well

Arceus Boss Battle will be a nightmare fuel for most of you guys lol a pokemon that literally changes type to be stronger that yours and attacks rabidly in every turn lol

In my experience Necrozma was not much a challenge since i picked primarina and her fairy moveset is all I need

I do prefere Unno(B2W2 director) and Iwao to direct the next gen games rather than Ohmori and Masuda they should both take a back seat back

The legend plate for Arceus is pretty broken. Arceus' Judgement will always be super effective.

Last edited:
I checked what he designed and actually some i like a lot like Golurk, Trevenant, Centiskorch, Obstagoon and Polteageist.
I tend to find that a lot of my least liked designs are his, and Gen 8 on average was really unappealing... so really not my top artist there. I hope we get someone else for Gen 9 because I don't want another generation of forgettable or really punchable designs. Friggin' Skwovet should have been cute.

Yeah, this gen has had the most even ratio of good-to-disappointing Pokemon designs, imo...which is a real dip, since every other gen has like, one or two designs that I really don't like. I like 'mons like Golurk and Vanilluxe, but frankly, James shouldn't be the art director anymore.

Friggin' Skwovet should have been cute.
This, however, I completely disagree with. Skwovet and Greedent are ADORABLE.

at this point and with everything we know about Legends through the leaks and all, THIS is the true remake and not BDSP. BDSP are looking more and more like they were an obligation or a fail-safe than an actual game set in the remake universe.
This isn't a remake. I can agree that a Legends game set in Unova would probably feature Enamorous (although I don't see the Hoenn or Galar Regis in this game), but that would in turn make a real BW remake far more traditional.

Personally I'm very happy with James as the art director.

Gen 8 is a highlight for me in terms of Pokemon designs, up there with gens 3, 5 and 7. (6 is also pretty strong overall though)

While I LOVE many of James' designs, I think it's good to change out the main art director each gen in order to organically give each region its own style.

Even if James is not art director, he's very clearly a lifer for Pokemon designs so he will have contributions to every gen, though.

While I LOVE many of James' designs, I think it's good to change out the main art director each gen in order to organically give each region its own style.

Even if James is not art director, he's very clearly a lifer for Pokemon designs so he will have contributions to every gen, though.

I agree.

However, there is also a possibility James was only the Art Director in gen 8 because it featured his home country.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom