• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Leaks/Rumors Thread

but graphics don't matter, why would they?
If they don't matter, why have them at all? Why aren't the games text based? Why design pokemon if the graphics aren't going to matter? Why waste so much money in modeling and texturing 3D enviroments and characters if the graphics don't matter?

When people say they want good graphics, they don't mean hyper realistic graphics. A consistent artstyle is far more important. And also no bad draw distance, no texture pop-in, no bad textures overall.
People loved NES games when they came out!
This is just a silly comparison. But people didn't mind the NES graphics in the 80s because that's all the 8-bit home consoles could do.

If they don't matter, why have them at all? Why aren't the games text based? Why design pokemon if the graphics aren't going to matter? Why waste so much money in modeling and texturing 3D enviroments and characters if the graphics don't matter?

When people say they want good graphics, they don't mean ultra realistic, hyper realistic graphics. A consistent artstyle is far more important. And also no bad draw distance, no texture pop-in, no bad bad textures overall.

This is just a silly comparison. But people didn't mind the NES graphics in the 80s because that's all the 8 bit home consoles could do.
If graphics didn’t matter they could’ve just stayed doing 2D games.

Nobody’s saying the game needs to rival Horizon: Zero Dawn but it’s not like switch system is incapable of more.

Also Unity looks like crap to my horrible and untrained eyes. Why would anyone want a pokemon game in Unity of all things? It would look worse in my opinion.
That's not the engine's fault. Unity games are mostly just mobile shovelware or crappy games on itch.io which gives the engine a bad wrap. There are some amazing games in Unity like Lara Croft GO or Risk of Rain 2.
I'd love a game in Unity honestly. It would probably make Game Freak's job a lot easier though Nintendo is very stubborn with it's engines [aside from mobile stuff].

it’s seems only the Pokémon franchise Is allowed this kind of luxury. For the love of god, it’s not their first time at all and it’s not like they’re being asked to move earth and heaven, just have competent textures at the bare minimum.

Let’s not compare the visual reception of NES games to Pokémon in 2022.

Also unless the game allows you to move from one part of the region to another without a loading screen, It’s basically like 6 wild areas.

I’ll give credit where it’s due when it comes to the new battle system and other features but I’m not blind or in denial about it’s faults.
Not true. We allowed Nintendo this luxury years ago. It was called the N64 and it looked like shit. But because Game Freak started getting into 3D so much later and has connections with Nintendo, the fan base expects them to just skip the learning curve and be already making backgrounds on par with big brother Nintendy.

If graphics didn’t matter they could’ve just stayed doing 2D games.
At this point i would rather if they went back to 2D. Specially if they make a game with sexy 2D sprites and animations like some indie games have been delivering in recent years.

It was called the N64 and it looked like shit.
It was called early 3D era, no shit it's gonna look dated. And it's really Gamefreak's fault for taking so long to finally start making 3D games.

So i'm gonna cut some slack to the company that started 3D as soon as it began over the company that decided for some reason to take 18 years to finally start using it.

Not true. We allowed Nintendo this luxury years ago. It was called the N64 and it looked like shit. But because Game Freak started getting into 3D so much later and has connections with Nintendo, the fan base expects them to just skip the learning curve and be already making backgrounds on par with big brother Nintendy.
"but just hire more experienced people lol" and also money = experience apparently.

Just need to clarify i am NOT saying game freak is justified for making these graphics in 2022; i am saying it's not exactly too easy considering how awful they are at optimization. it was probably less focused on so the game doesn't run at 5FPS when 2 pokemon appear. I still think this is all blown out of proportion but I also don't think it's entirely a good thing.

Last edited:
I’ll give credit where it’s due when it comes to the new battle system and other features but I’m not blind or in denial about it’s faults.
To be frank, is anyone? We all said that the graphics are the worst part about the game and they need to be improved. We're not in denial about it, I've seen people say this multiple times.

It was called early 3D era, no shit it's gonna look dated. And it's really Gamefreak's fault for taking so long to finally start making 3D games.

So i'm gonna cut some slack to the company that started 3D as soon as it began over the company that decided for some reason to take 18 years to finally start using it.
I guess no one should start making 3D games these days because how dare anyone be even a step behind. Good thing all the indie developers mostly want to stick to making 2D platformers like we're still stuck playing on a Sega, because they sure wouldn't survive now.

To be frank, is anyone? We all said that the graphics are the worst part about the game and they need to be improved. We're not in denial about it, I've seen people say this multiple times.
So if we’re all on the same page about the graphics, why does any complaint about them get negative feedback?

???pokémon has been a mostly handheld franchise for legit 20 years. they've made gamecube, n64, and wii (u) games but they haven't been mainline--they're fundamentally different.
Yes. But what i'm saying that we shouldn't cut Gamefreak any slack because they decided to only start doing 3D in 2013. Plus, they could have, i don't know, asked Nintendo for development advice? Since they have been making 3D since 1996? If Gamefreak was an indie company with literally no attachment to some big company that pioneered 3D, sure. But they have a connection to Nintendo.

And really, it's been 9 years. Should we really still be cutting them any slack when it comes to 3D when they have made at least seven games with it at this point? Other companies with far less successful franchises and most likely less budget and manpower mastered 3D much faster than Gamefreak.

I guess no one should start making 3D games these days because how dare anyone be even a step behind. Good thing all the indie developers mostly want to stick to making 2D platformers like we're still stuck playing on a Sega, because they sure wouldn't survive now.
Yes, that's totally what i said. And we all know that just a step behind means literally nearly two decades before deciding to make any 3D game.

My point is that we shouldn't be going on GF any easier because they decided to take so long to finally make 3D games. Maybe not expect as much as companies that have far more experience, but at least expect quality.

The classic woe is me counter for the Pokémon franchise?

So if we’re all on the same page about the graphics, why does any complaint about them get negative feedback?
It's more that the game is automatically discredited because of the graphics rather than being looked on a more critical however fair lens. Graphics aren't the only part of the game, as important as they are. The gameplay has been what Pokemon needed for years and we're all glad that's being focused on, though that does not cancel out the fact that the graphics REALLY need some work for 2022. Saying the game is outright bad because the graphics look bad does not count as being critical, it's being ignorant.

To maybe put us back on track, do you think that Legends: Arceus has any hints for Gen 9? Lots of Pokémon games have hints for a later Gen IIRC
They'll probably be really subtle. A bit unrelated but personally I don't want Gen 9 right now as GF really need some more development time, but that's more a me thing.

To maybe put us back on track, do you think that Legends: Arceus has any hints for Gen 9? Lots of Pokémon games have hints for a later Gen IIRC
Probably. There's a theory going around that Gen 9 is set in Italy.

With a bunch of characters having Italian/Latin words for names, especially both of Cynthia's ancestors. It makes you wonder.

Probably. There's a theory going around that Gen 9 is set in Italy.

With a bunch of characters having Italian/Latin words for names, especially both of Cynthia's ancestors. It makes you wonder.
I'm waiting for a Pokemon game set in a more obscure country, it'd make a very interesting game.
Italy's cool though, I like the idea of it.

"but just hire more experienced people lol" and also money = experience apparently.

Just need to clarify i am NOT saying game freak is justified for making these graphics in 2022; i am saying it's not exactly too easy considering how awful they are at optimization. it was probably less focused on so the game doesn't run at 5FPS when 2 pokemon appear. I still think this is all blown out of proportion but I also don't think it's entirely a good thing.
Didn't they get help from square enix

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom