• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

BDSP Leaks/Rumors Thread

Has... GO not handled the pandemic well so far? They've implemented so many changes and bonuses into the game and compensated for so many things, it seems like their handling overall has been pretty stellar. It would be bizarre for TPC to have any issue with them to the point of petty symbol changes.
Almost everything they’ve done or changed for the pandemic was forced by online fan pressure. It got so bad that a whole hashtag and MAJOR media coverage of the issues started happening this year. It was not a good look for Pokémon in the major media.

the recent news is of course too late to be related to this, but it’s still very telling. We see nothing of the behind the scenes relationship between Niantic and TPC, but this plus the lootbox controversy (which is still going on, years later) and general poor relationship the company has with fans and players… it is nothing like how TPC runs things they have complete more say over.

Sorry to detail the thread! Just thought it was a perfect explanation of them creating a new set of symbols.

Almost everything they’ve done or changed for the pandemic was forced by online fan pressure. It got so bad that a whole hashtag and MAJOR media coverage of the issues started happening this year. It was not a good look for Pokémon in the major media.

I’m fairly sure the initial changes were made mostly of Niantic’s own volition. I don’t remember any online campaigns for that; I remember Niantic applying the changes only in areas that were heavily affected by the virus, and then expanding them as it became more widespread, which is just naturally what you’d do if you wanted to keep your game playable during a pandemic/lockdown.

the recent news is of course too late to be related to this, but it’s still very telling. We see nothing of the behind the scenes relationship between Niantic and TPC, but this plus the lootbox controversy (which is still going on, years later) and general poor relationship the company has with fans and players… it is nothing like how TPC runs things they have complete more say over.

Sorry to detail the thread! Just thought it was a perfect explanation of them creating a new set of symbols.

Yeah I really don't remember any big blow out. Honestly, nothing Niantic has done has remotely compared to the upset that was not having every pokemon in Sword and Shield, so for TPC to have any issues with them receiving any bad press over their corona handling would be pretty hypocritical. The pandemic and all accommodations that had to be made for it was an unexpected wrench in a well-running machine, whereas Dexit was GameFreak willingly shooting themselves in their own foot and then proceeding to not make any clear explanation as to why.

Last edited:
Niantic implemented QOL features and advertised them as the new standard. The most obvious things being the increased interaction radius of Pokéstops. Then they silently removed the increased radius without explanation. This caused the community to voice their disappointment via social media and it resulted in a backlash for Niantic, who have since introduced a taskforce to deal with these issues and their lack of communication in the future. They also put the increased interaction radius back in and once again claimed it to be the new normal.

It’s just unfortunate that it means they probably could not use a leaf, or other obvious symbols like the hypnosis swirl for psychic or the moon for dark.

The japanese name for dark type is aku type, though, which means evil. I think the new symbol is a fitting representation of that. (it looks like an evil eye). And the new Psychic symbol reminds me of the animations for the Psychic attack; especially gen 6.

Poison looks like Toxic; and after giving it much thought; I'm pretty sure the ground symbol is suppose to be Earthquake.

I think the reason we received redesigns is because, GF only used Ninantics symbols because LGPE came out first and they were used in that game for obvious reasons. Then in SwSh they were just reused for times sake. But this is a fresh new set of games, so they decided to use something original.

Niantic implemented QOL features and advertised them as the new standard. The most obvious things being the increased interaction radius of Pokéstops. Then they silently removed the increased radius without explanation. This caused the community to voice their disappointment via social media and it resulted in a backlash for Niantic, who have since introduced a taskforce to deal with these issues and their lack of communication in the future. They also put the increased interaction radius back in and once again claimed it to be the new normal.
I don't think it was meant to be the new standard in the first place? It was obvious that most of the changes were supposed to be temporary measures to enable the game to be played while social distancing, so the fact that they started to try to roll things back as people were getting vaccinated shouldn't have been a surprise. Although the massive plea to have them back was equally unsurprising as the covid situation differs in some parts of the world but also we just got so used to some of these things over the past year that it feels like it should be the new standard.

In any case, really wasn't that big a deal to be worth TPC being petty mad at Niantic. Wasn't some big heinous controversy, and definitely wasn't worse than when GO started out with the media being all over every GO-related death, crime, or injury, trying to make it out as some dangerous game. You know that reputation still haunts it.

Some people are saying there will be 450 Pokemon in the game, and the remaining 43 from Diamond and Pearl will be missing. Has this been confirmed or is it a leak/rumour?

If this is true (I'm not completely convinced because we saw Bidoof's National Dex number in a screenshot), I think it will be the starters, legendaries and mythicals from Kanto, Johto and Hoenn (except the Regis) that are missing. That would be 45 missing Pokemon, with 448 still in the game. If they included the legendary birds as a nod to Platinum, that would bring the total up to 451.

Some people are saying there will be 450 Pokemon in the game, and the remaining 43 from Diamond and Pearl will be missing. Has this been confirmed or is it a leak/rumour?

If this is true (I'm not completely convinced because we saw Bidoof's National Dex number in a screenshot), I think it will be the starters, legendaries and mythicals from Kanto, Johto and Hoenn (except the Regis) that are missing. That would be 45 missing Pokemon, with 448 still in the game. If they included the legendary birds as a nod to Platinum, that would bring the total up to 451.
That would be a disaster. Having less than tha original DP would not go over well with most returning players and might even turn them off from BDSP since TPC is leaning heavily on the nostalgia factor for these Sinnoh games.

I see nothing wrong with keeping some starters and legendaries Home-exclusive, but it's probably just a guess.

18 Kanto and Hoenn starters+21 legendaries/mythicals from Kanto, Johto and Hoenn+4 Sinnoh mythicals=43 "special" Pokemon

Phione really ought to be normally available by now (Episode Phione when?), but if 43 is accurate, it's more likely that Sylveon is normally available and Phione isn't.

Last edited:
I see nothing wrong with keeping some starters and legendaries Home-exclusive, but it's probably just a guess.

18 Kanto and Hoenn starters+21 legendaries/mythicals from Kanto, Johto and Hoenn+4 Sinnoh mythicals=43 "special" Pokemon

Phione really ought to be normally available by now (Episode Phione when?), but if 43 is accurate, it's more likely that Sylveon is normally available and Phione isn't.
The issue is that it sets a precedent to not only give us less than the original games had, but to further milk HOME sales even more by potentially giving us even less for future remakes. Given how recent Dexit has been as a policy known to the public, it’s not a good idea to do something like excluding any of the species that existed during the Gen 4 era, especially given how much the marketing for BDSP has been pushing for faithfulness. Unfortunately, it’s a slippery slope that I can easily see TPC falling down.

The only way I could see this being OK is if we get Pokémon from Legends: Arceus patched in BDSP a few months after Legends releases; the law of equivalent exchange. However, the faithfulness angle that’s being pushed makes such thoughts very unlikely, thus going back to the issue of a remake having less than the original games being remade.

I doubt the games will have less pokemon than the originals- we've already seen that pokemon that were available via dual slot originally were simply moved to the underground to compensate for the lack of that feature.

And come on, guys, you know Game Freak isn't going to shaft Charizard. =P

And come on, guys, you know Game Freak isn't going to shaft Charizard. =P

You know, I hadn't thought about that! The idea of cutting 43 Pokemon does seems a bit Farfetch'd to me, really, I was just trying to figure out which ones might be cut if it is true. There are some YouTubers and news outlets claiming it like it's fact, but that doesn't mean anything. :wynaut:

Actually, if anything, I would bet on BDSP having everything up to Gen 4 available plus some random new mythical(s) thrown in, like Let's Go had. Maybe something to tie in with Legends, because I can't imagine them releasing two games based in essentially the same region without connecting them in some way.

No, I'm pretty sure it was confirmed "over 450". Which from a marketing perspective, could mean anywhere between 450 and 500. I remember reading something about it on reddit, but it's not working for me right now otherwise I'd try and link a source. Pretty sure it came from a non-English news source right after the Embargo lifted.

No, I'm pretty sure it was confirmed "over 450". Which from a marketing perspective, could mean anywhere between 450 and 500. I remember reading something about it on reddit, but it's not working for me right now otherwise I'd try and link a source. Pretty sure it came from a non-English news source right after the Embargo lifted.

Ah, that's probably it! It's like how my copy of the Alola Handbook says "Over 250 Pokemon!" when there's actually 300. It's so easy for information to be misinterpreted when it spreads online.

Finally got reddit to work. Here is the article if anyone wants to check it out. It's in Spanish:

The comment in question:

Desde The Pokémon Company solo nos han comentado que habrá "más de 450 Pokémon", por lo que, salvo sorpresa de última hora, estará la Pokédex Nacional hasta Sinnoh.

Google Translate:

From The Pokémon Company they have only told us that there will be "more than 450 Pokémon", so, except for a last minute surprise, there will be the National Pokédex to Sinnoh.

We should get a trailer before the end of October. I just don't see Pokemon skipping a month especially when that month is right before the month that BDSP releases.

It would be weird for both the Johto starters (nostalgia) and the Kalos starters (the most popular Pokemon...and company :wynaut: ) to skip two games in a row. Specially as I see it more natural for them to appear in BDSP than in Legends. I feel like it's a SWSH situation where there are hidden Pokemon we don't discover until the datamine.
Phione is almost secured to be available, it's Gen 4 after all and I doubt they want to go through the problem of recoding Manaphy's breeding mechanics.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom