• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Least accurate use of a move in the anime

chimera

Reaction score
Many moves such as Fire Spin are shown as being extremely powerful in the anime, and other moves seem to have a completely different effect then they do in the games. So, what in your opinion is the least accurate use of a move in the anime and why?

Potchama's whirlpool. It's portrayed as being so broken where as the real whirlpool was even de-HMed for being so useless! Sigh.

Pin Missle KOing Torterra, just after it used Synthesis in the Sinnoh League. The move was overpowered in my opinion, when it is relatively weak in-game.

Last edited:
Leach Seed apparently makes you unable to fight completely in the anime while it just drains your HP periodically in the games.

I also can't stand instances where pokemon fire Hyper Beam after Hyper Beam without recharging.

Tail Whip. Potrayed as something like Iron Tail...yet in the game it just lowers defense.

Sandstorm. Dangoro used it on the Rockets only to have it repelled by Gust, hitting Dangoro and sending it flying into the wall. It's not so much being repelled that's odd, but the fact that it damaged a Pokemon whose typing would otherwise give it immunity ingame.

I'd bring up Hatoboh being hit by Shadow Ball in BW33, but I think Kojiro used it with the intention of it distracting Hatoboh rather than to deal damage...

Dragon Rage. It's all "GLARGHARGLARGLARHGH" and creates a beautiful and deadly display. For a move that does a fixed amount of damage of 40, it seems incredibly powerful.

Safeguard being turned into a carbon copy of Protect. I can't recall it ever blocking any status moves, only direct attacks.

Overpowered moves that are pathetic in the games: Bullet Seed, Pin Missle, Fire Spin (aside from Gen 1 in the games where it and moves like it such as Bind will prevent a Pokemon from attacking for 2-5 turns except you can recall them to save em), Piplup's "Spirit Bomb" Whirlpool or fully evolved or experienced Pokemon using moves like Scratch or Tackle.

The same can be said for Ember, Water Gun etc. Look at the match in the OL, Ash's Charizard used Ember on Electabuzz. Not to mention against the Crystal Onix that Charmeleon used Ember sort of like Fire Spin or was it looking like a Flamethrower???? I forget but it looked more powerful than an Ember that's for sure. Notice Paul's Chimchar using Ember in DP 03 and compare it to DP 06 you can tell it got more powerful through training obviously upping its lv.

I can't think of one time when Will-o-wisp actually burned a Pokemon instead of inflicting damage on an opponent (Brandon's Dusclops vs. Ash's Bulbasaur) or when its used to damage that should be immune to it Ash's Charizard for example.

Also look at some abilities that aren't activated; Any of the starter Pokemon that are in battle and take HEAVY damage don't use their Torrent, etc. Look at Pika vs. Goliath; Pikachu and Raichu use contact attacks like Iron Tail or Volt Tackle along with numerous electric attacks that have a chance of paralyzing an opponent but its like their abilities are cancelled out for the sake of their battles not being decided on a paralyzed Pokemon.

Leech Seed used on other Grass types and its already been mentioned above that it sucks health out like crazy with the victim unable to fight back.

Hyper Beam/Giga Impact/Frenzy Plant/etc..I mean put it this way the game from the show are of course different in games if it misses no recharge if it hits recharge that does not apply in the show at all. The show just needs to be consistent in how they apply this rule that's all that needs to be said.

Also, Elekid "absorbing" Pikachu's Thunderbolt to increase its Thunder is it an conductor spark plug with Volt Absorb or for the sake of Elekid matching Pikachu the writers threw in that plot twist? The same with Thunder Armor from Swellow "absorbing" electricity like Pikachu.

Yes, I agree with the above about Safeguard the only time it blocked status condition was when Zoey's Glemeow used Thunderbolt on Togekiss and the only reason it probably kicked it was because that attack was actually about to paralyze it. But yeah why use Protect when it can fail when you can spam Safeguard?

I could go on but I like when other people come up with neat responses that I overlook at times.

Return.

End of discussion.
:|

I'm serious - they say return
And the Pokemon just returns!
D:< YOU'D THINK ASH WOULD LEARN MONS ONLY HAVE FOUR MOVES BY NOW!

If we're talking about a singuloar instance where a move was unrealistically used than I would say it's hands down the thunderbolt creating thunder armor for Swellow and Pikachu

It's not so much an inaccuracy, but it annoyed me that James gave his Cacnea to Gardenia so it could learn Drain Punch of all things. Sure, it's more powerful now in Gen V games - but when it happened, Drain Punch had the same power level as Needle Arm, but with a different (although slightly better) added effect... it still didn't seem like the sort of move you'd release a Pokemon for.

Leach Seed apparently makes you unable to fight completely in the anime while it just drains your HP periodically in the games.

Not always. Brandon's Solrock could still fight after being seeded and even tied against Ash's Bulbasaur iirc.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom