• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Least Fav Unova Pokemon

Minccino (it's sprite animation bugs the heck out of me)
Cubchoo (snot bubbles are so not sexy)

Can't decide which one of those I dislike more lol

The first time I encountered Garbador (which was the first time I had ever even seen one), I almost screamed and dropped my DS.

Also, Stunfisk is even derpier looking than Dunsparce, and I didn't know that was possible.

Conkledurr creeps me out... It's an angry clown with weird veiney arms, and a creepy look on his face

And it has a really stupid sounding name. It's name isn't unimaginative, it just sounds like a dumb thing to say.

I like every Gen V Pokemon. They're all unique and imaginative (yes, even Garbodor and Vanilluxe) but if I had to choose a least favourite, it would be Vanilluxe. I appreciate the design, but its not the kind of thing Id ever use.

Conkledurr is just...Ugh. I hate it's design. The ice cream line is okay but i'd never use it.

The Durant need to all be piled into a big pit so the Heatmor can roast and eat them all <_<

It's design is... no it doesn't even have a design. They took a diagram from an entomology textbook and made it metallic looking. Then they gave it an overused typing and made it so much stronger than Heatmor that it's almost unfair.

Oh and it's cry is ear raping.

Alomomola I absolutely hate. And that hand thing it does is just plain creepy.

Throh and sawk... They're extremaly humanoid and boring, and got no pokemon-like look, and are just another pure fighting... And so many people use them just cause theyre readily avaliable for aloe.

Klingklang - the design is just lame, and it doesn't help it has a good Attack stat, but no physical movepool.
Conkeldurr- looks hideous, and it is sad it outclasses the much cooler Mienshao in battle.
Watchog - creepy and ugly, and both of its standard Abilities are bad.
Eelektross - has no weaknesses, a huge movepool and good attacking stats, but the design is hideous.
Cryogonal- its angry face just doesn't do it for me.
Heatmor - looks ugly and has an annoying cry.

Hydreigon. A hydra Pokemon had a lot of potential but it seems their best idea was to do this hands/heads thing. How the f does that work? Nobody knows. Also, the back of its head looks like a silly flower, and its wings and "legs" look like they were drawn by a 3-year old.

Honorable mention to Klang and Klinklang for being completely boring and uninspired.

1 - Klink's line. Easily my least favourite Gen 5 pokemon. All of them are pure garbage. I know they're supposed to be similiar to Magnemite and its evos, but God, they look so lame. It's just a gear.

2 - Vanillite's line. I hate food based pokemon, and an ice cream pokemon is not an exception. Vanillite is kinda cute, but its evolutions ruined it.

3 - Landorus/Tornadus/Thundurus. Say hello to the worst designed trio of the franchise. Landorus made his carreer by destroying the competitive, but it's still looks bad. They look too similiar to each other, only the colors are different. Their therian formes look better though. I don't know why they created these things, the swords of justice look better than them.

4 - Woobat/Swoobat. Is it supposed to be the Zubat and Golbat of this gen? These bats look so bad. I'm just waiting for Swoobat to tell me what kind of shape is on its nose. Luckly we got some cool bats when Noibat and Noivern came to life.

5 - Pignite. If I had to define Pignite in a word, it would be disappointment. I don't care about the fire/fighting type, but it's design looks bad and underwhelming. Can we remove these rabbit like ears? Also it looks like an egg with arms and legs.

Dishonorable mentions: Gothitelle, Stunfisk, Cottonee and Scraggy's line.

Last edited:
There are sooooooo many Unova Pokemon that are either blatant ripoffs or at least share similarities to them to the point where almost the entire pool of 5th gen Pokemon feels like "Totally Not the Kanto Dex all over again" (and a few other generations, but mainly Kanto). Besides the usual suspects of having a regional rodent, regional bird, pseudo legend, etc. we had the following:

Purrloin/Liepard- Meowth/Persian (feline creature that steals/finds treasure. Retroactively made even stronger when Alolan Meowth/Persian gained Dark type)
Munna/Musharna- Drowzee/Hypno (Psychic type tapirs with sleep related powers)
Blitzle/Zebstrika- vaguely reminds me of Ponyta/Rapidash (elemental four legged herd creature that's fast)
Roggenrola/Boldore/Gigalith- Geodude/Graveler/Golem (Rock type cave dwelling rock creatures whose final form evolves by trade)
Woobat/Swoobat- Zubat/Golbat/Crobat (cave dwelling bat whose final form evolves by friendship)
Drillbur/Excadrill- Diglett/Dugtrio (Ground type moles that love digging)
Audino- Chansey (Normal type healer that has high HP and is used in Pokemon Centers)
Timburr/Gurdurr/Conkeldurr- Machop/Machoke/Machamp (Fighting type humanoid whose final form evolves by trade)
Tympole/Palpitoad/Seismitoad- Poliwag/Poliwhirl/Politoed, with a little bit of Wooper/Quagsire (Water type three stage frog line that is also a Water/Ground and has a mud theme)
Throh/Sawk- Hitmonlee/Hitmonchan (Fighting type humanoid pair with an Attack/Defense theme)
Petilil/Lilligant- Oddish/Gloom/Vileplume (Grass type weed Pokemon with an Absorption/Status condition theme that evolves into a red flower-looking Pokemon via stone evolution)
Maractus- Cacnea/Cacturne (Desert dwelling Grass type cacti)
Dwebble/Crustle- Shuckle (Bug/Rock shelled creature found in beach areas)
Tirtouga/Carracosta- Omanyte/Omaster and Kabuto/Kabutops (Water/Rock shelled fossils)
Trubbish/Garbodor- Grimer/Muk (Poison type sentient waste)
Zorua/Zoroark- Riolu/Lucario (humanoid canine two stage only obtainable through special events in its debut game and heavily promoted in a movie)
Ducklett/Swanna- Wingull/Pelipper (Water/Flying two stage seabirds)
Emolga- Pachirisu (Electric type squirrel Pikaclone)
Foongus/Amoongus- cross between Paras/Parasect and Voltorb/Electrode (Grass type mushroom that disguises itself as an item ball in the overworld)
Frillish/Jellicent- Tentacool/Tentacruel (Water type jellyfish that is found by Surfing)
Alomomola- Luvdisc (Water type heart shaped fish)
Ferroseed/Ferrothorn- Pineco/Forretress (Steel type spiky plants)
Klink/Klang/Klinklang- Magnemite/Magneton/Magnezone (Steel type machinery whose evolutions combine with others of its species)
Bouffalant- Tauros (Normal type cattle)

You can really tell that starting over with completely new Pokemon was a hollow gesture because so many of these have multiple similarities to each other, not just in type/species but in terms of movesets and evolution methods, to the point where you can tell that they're intentional homages to the older Pokemon. Makes replacing them with new ones nearly pointless.

There's several others I hate, but for reasons unrelated to being knockoffs:

Emboar- Fire/Fighting for a third time in a row? Seriously Game Freak?
The monkeys- Starter wannabes that all look kinda similar to each other and are shoved down your throat for the first gym in BW

There are sooooooo many Unova Pokemon that are either blatant ripoffs or at least share similarities to them to the point where almost the entire pool of 5th gen Pokemon feels like "Totally Not the Kanto Dex all over again" (and a few other generations, but mainly Kanto). Besides the usual suspects of having a regional rodent, regional bird, pseudo legend, etc. we had the following:

Purrloin/Liepard- Meowth/Persian (feline creature that steals/finds treasure. Retroactively made even stronger when Alolan Meowth/Persian gained Dark type)
Munna/Musharna- Drowzee/Hypno (Psychic type tapirs with sleep related powers)
Blitzle/Zebstrika- vaguely reminds me of Ponyta/Rapidash (elemental four legged herd creature that's fast)
Roggenrola/Boldore/Gigalith- Geodude/Graveler/Golem (Rock type cave dwelling rock creatures whose final form evolves by trade)
Woobat/Swoobat- Zubat/Golbat/Crobat (cave dwelling bat whose final form evolves by friendship)
Drillbur/Excadrill- Diglett/Dugtrio (Ground type moles that love digging)
Audino- Chansey (Normal type healer that has high HP and is used in Pokemon Centers)
Timburr/Gurdurr/Conkeldurr- Machop/Machoke/Machamp (Fighting type humanoid whose final form evolves by trade)
Tympole/Palpitoad/Seismitoad- Poliwag/Poliwhirl/Politoed, with a little bit of Wooper/Quagsire (Water type three stage frog line that is also a Water/Ground and has a mud theme)
Throh/Sawk- Hitmonlee/Hitmonchan (Fighting type humanoid pair with an Attack/Defense theme)
Petilil/Lilligant- Oddish/Gloom/Vileplume (Grass type weed Pokemon with an Absorption/Status condition theme that evolves into a red flower-looking Pokemon via stone evolution)
Maractus- Cacnea/Cacturne (Desert dwelling Grass type cacti)
Dwebble/Crustle- Shuckle (Bug/Rock shelled creature found in beach areas)
Tirtouga/Carracosta- Omanyte/Omaster and Kabuto/Kabutops (Water/Rock shelled fossils)
Trubbish/Garbodor- Grimer/Muk (Poison type sentient waste)
Zorua/Zoroark- Riolu/Lucario (humanoid canine two stage only obtainable through special events in its debut game and heavily promoted in a movie)
Ducklett/Swanna- Wingull/Pelipper (Water/Flying two stage seabirds)
Emolga- Pachirisu (Electric type squirrel Pikaclone)
Foongus/Amoongus- cross between Paras/Parasect and Voltorb/Electrode (Grass type mushroom that disguises itself as an item ball in the overworld)
Frillish/Jellicent- Tentacool/Tentacruel (Water type jellyfish that is found by Surfing)
Alomomola- Luvdisc (Water type heart shaped fish)
Ferroseed/Ferrothorn- Pineco/Forretress (Steel type spiky plants)
Klink/Klang/Klinklang- Magnemite/Magneton/Magnezone (Steel type machinery whose evolutions combine with others of its species)
Bouffalant- Tauros (Normal type cattle)

You can really tell that starting over with completely new Pokemon was a hollow gesture because so many of these have multiple similarities to each other, not just in type/species but in terms of movesets and evolution methods, to the point where you can tell that they're intentional homages to the older Pokemon. Makes replacing them with new ones nearly pointless.
I primarily agree with what you’re saying, even if I’m not in step with all of the comparisons you’ve made. They’ve revisited old ideas in new mons before, and some of the new ones aren’t so bad because they’re sufficiently different (Munna, Drilbur, Klink in my opinion; not sure if Blitzle even counts as a reboot of Ponyta).

But there are others that are more egregious because they really don’t add a whole lot, particularly the Timburr line, Audino and Throh/Sawk. I’ll give Roggenrola a pass because it’s pure Rock and not Rock/Ground, but I find it and Timburr both being trade evolutions just like their Kanto counterparts a little off putting.

If I had to give my least favorites it would include Gurdurr, Conkeldurr, Throh and Sawk mainly because they’re ugly. I think my absolute least favorite, though, along the same lines, has to be Patrat. Not only are its eyes sufficiently creepy, but it’s completely outclassed by Lillipup, another Normal type mon on the same freakin’ routes. I have the same issue with Skwovet and Wooloo in Gen 8.

If I had to choose, Gothitelle maybe? It's not the worst but not that appealing to me. It's kinda weird how there's also another 3 stage evolutionary line next to it. Other contenders are Stunfisk and Garbador but the former has a cool typing whilst the latter is kinda self-explanatory

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom